Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado recipes.

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @nolaegghead I want that boudin recipe. I told my wife about it and now I need the recipe.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
      Hair of the dog.
    Speaking of hair, get a hair cut hippy :wink: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I got @SGH a booth next to the Hooter's booth at the crawfish competition and he calls me dirty hippy!!   ;)
    Options
    DMW said:
    @nolaegghead I want that boudin recipe. I told my wife about it and now I need the recipe.

You told your wife about his sausage?   :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I got @SGH a booth next to the Hooter's booth at the crawfish competition and he calls me dirty hippy!!   ;)
    You know I'm messing with you brother. Hell, I have a afro so I'm one to be talking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    DMW said:

The chorizo was the stand out for me. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Boudin was the best I've ever had. but it was all good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I vote the boudin tops as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    The fried boudin balls were damn good as well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    Options
    Those should be illegal in most states...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm still not so sure. Linda made me stop at 5. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    What is a boudin, and do you have to kill it to harvest the balls?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What is a boudin, and do you have to kill it to harvest the balls?
    Only on the male ones. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I went to the Google and googled boodan.
    Yup.
  • nolaegghead
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DMW said:

@DMW   I sort of read a few recipes and figured out there was a lot of variation so really anything goes, but here it is to my best recollection. 

5 pounds pork butt with all the fat.  Cut in 1" cubes.  Or strips.  Doesn't matter.  I threw in some bacon to add even more fat.  No fat is wasted.  Retain all. 

1 pound liver. Any kind.  This is optional, use less or more if you like/dislike it.  I used beef but pork is more traditional to cajun cooking.  (couldn't find pork liver). 

Boil the pork in the least amount of water you can, like 4 cups.  Put a lid on it.  You can put some garlic, onion, celery and peppers in there if you want.  Make sure you salt the water.   Cook for an hour.  Then throw in the liver, cubed and cook until tender.  Maybe 15 to 30 minutes more.

Strain the solids out of the boil and retain the liquid.  Cool that sh*t down, then run it, and optionally the veggies, through your grinder with a medium die.  Must be cooled down.  I added my veggies fresh but you can do it both ways. 

Cook about 8 cups of white rice.  You can play around with the rice ratio, and I've seen people use jasmine, brown, etc.  This is white boudin, I use white rice.  I boiled the rice in a massive excess of water, southern style.  Strained out the water.  Let the rice cool down. 

In a big-assed container, mix all the above with any combination of the following.  Add any amount you want.  I don't believe in measuring the spices, and veggies and spices are that to boudin.  All this is chopped up fairly fine. You can use a food processor but I just used a knife. 

Cook until soft, in the right order, in some fat or butter:

garlic
    green onions 
    peppers (bell, jalapano, habanero, roasted, raw, whatever you like)
    celery
    white onion
    parsley (don't cook that or not much)
    salt
    black pepper

Season with cayenne pepper (or any pepper you want).  
    powdered bay leaf (or whole in the saute)
    red pepper flakes

You don't have to cook the green onions or parsley, I didn't.

Add all this stuff together and mix by hand. Use the liquid you reserved from boiling the meat to add moisture and get a nice consistency.   Make sure you get ALL the fat in there.  Adjust the spice and salt, mix more.  It's safe to eat to taste test.  You can cook it a bit to see how it tastes hot. 

Stuff.  

Drink.  

Eat. 

You can steam it, cook it on the egg, put it on your exhaust manifold, whatever you want. 

Options
    @nolaegghead - you sir, are a mensch!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm still drinking. ..it's not over till I say it's over. 
    Me too. I'm afraid to quit. I might die.

I kind of felt like that, lol. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I think the cauliflower recipe may have been from @mollyshark? Maybe? I also really want the breakfast casserole recipe from @sancho65 's lovely wife. Pretty please?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I asked my mom to make shrimp cauliflower salad.  Nuffin egg related, just something I like that's been in the family for generations and to feed the masses with a side.  
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I need that awesome cauliflower recipe! Please? I don't even like cauliflower! (And yes, I am finally recovering enough (barely) to start posting. Now if I can just figure out the darn pic thing!!!)
    The one you were telling me about at the fest was made by Mollyshark.
    You would have a better chance getting her on the other forum. She does not post much but I think she watches and would gladly respond.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • islanderegger
    Options
    DMW said:
    Here's mine. I didn't follow a recipe, but here's what I did from what I can remember.

Shepherd's π

Ingredients

• 3# Potatoes (a bit too much, 2.5# would probably been good)
    • 2# Ground meat (I used beef, lamb would be more authentic)
    • Butter
    • Half & Half
    • Veggies (I used a 16oz frozen mixed veggie bag. It had corn, green beans, carrots)
    • Large onion
    • 2 garlic cloves
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
    • Beef Broth
    • Flour
    • Oil

Mashed Potatoes

• Peel potatoes
    • Coarse dice
    • In a pot of water
    • Bring to boil - I tried a butane burner, with the wind, didn't work. Moved the whole thing to a 450* egg setup indirect. That worked.
    • Boil until mostly soft
    • Drain, add salt & pepper
    • Mash
    • Add butter and half & half
    • Mash until getting smooth
    • Add more butter and half & half
    • Mash until nice and smooth
    • You can whip them if you want, I didn't.

Meat Filling

• Heat cast iron skillet over egg
    • Add oil
    • Add diced onion, saute until translucent
    • Added diced garlic, saute for a minute
    • Add ground meat and brown, 
    • Add DP Cow Lick, stirring and breaking up as needed
    • Add beef broth and stir
    • Sprinkle flour over and stir, adding additional flour as needed to thicken
    • Add veggies and stir together
    • Let the entire thing simmer to reduce and thicken a bit

Assembly

• Put meat filling in 9 x 13 disposable aluminum pan
    • Add mashed potatoes as topping, starting from the outside edges.
    • You want to "glue" the edges with potato and then fill in the center
    • Don't be afraid to be generous with mashed potato, fill pan almost to top
    • With a spatula, if you have one, otherwise back of a spoon, smooth the potatoes out
    • Dollop butter on top of potatoes. Small amounts in many spots is better than a few big butter pats
    • Put on egg at around 400* indirect until potatoes are golden crispy, about 45min or so. If the color isn't setting like you want, crank the heat, but watch it when you do, you can brown the butter on the potatoes real quick
    • Remove and rest for at least 10 minutes before serving

We riff on this and use it for leftover chicken as well, subbing various things in the meat filling. Tweak it to what you like. 
    I made this last night, smoked on the egg with tequila barrel chunks. The two of us almost ate it all, it was awesome.
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:

@DMW   I sort of read a few recipes and figured out there was a lot of variation so really anything goes, but here it is to my best recollection. 

5 pounds pork butt with all the fat.  Cut in 1" cubes.  Or strips.  Doesn't matter.  I threw in some bacon to add even more fat.  No fat is wasted.  Retain all. 

1 pound liver. Any kind.  This is optional, use less or more if you like/dislike it.  I used beef but pork is more traditional to cajun cooking.  (couldn't find pork liver). 

Boil the pork in the least amount of water you can, like 4 cups.  Put a lid on it.  You can put some garlic, onion, celery and peppers in there if you want.  Make sure you salt the water.   Cook for an hour.  Then throw in the liver, cubed and cook until tender.  Maybe 15 to 30 minutes more.

Strain the solids out of the boil and retain the liquid.  Cool that sh*t down, then run it, and optionally the veggies, through your grinder with a medium die.  Must be cooled down.  I added my veggies fresh but you can do it both ways. 

Cook about 8 cups of white rice.  You can play around with the rice ratio, and I've seen people use jasmine, brown, etc.  This is white boudin, I use white rice.  I boiled the rice in a massive excess of water, southern style.  Strained out the water.  Let the rice cool down. 

In a big-assed container, mix all the above with any combination of the following.  Add any amount you want.  I don't believe in measuring the spices, and veggies and spices are that to boudin.  All this is chopped up fairly fine. You can use a food processor but I just used a knife. 

Cook until soft, in the right order, in some fat or butter:

garlic
    green onions 
    peppers (bell, jalapano, habanero, roasted, raw, whatever you like)
    celery
    white onion
    parsley (don't cook that or not much)
    salt
    black pepper

Season with cayenne pepper (or any pepper you want).  
    powdered bay leaf (or whole in the saute)
    red pepper flakes

You don't have to cook the green onions or parsley, I didn't.

Add all this stuff together and mix by hand. Use the liquid you reserved from boiling the meat to add moisture and get a nice consistency.   Make sure you get ALL the fat in there.  Adjust the spice and salt, mix more.  It's safe to eat to taste test.  You can cook it a bit to see how it tastes hot. 

Stuff.  

Drink.  

Eat. 

You can steam it, cook it on the egg, put it on your exhaust manifold, whatever you want. 

I am going to make this boudin on Saturday. Thanks for the precise measurements on the ingredients @nolaegghead

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @DMW - Sorry man, I advocate learning how to cook by feel over formulae.

Adjust ingredients the way you like it and own the motherf*cker. ;)
    Options
    @nolaegghead - Thanks, I just wanted to get the salt ratio right, found a ratio for it. I'll go by feel for everything else, I'm gonna own that b!0tch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA