Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - WTF is an Akorn?!?

(apologies if this post appears twice.  Phone posting...)

Saw this in Lowe's today.  Lightweight, cheap, egg knockoff.  Two layer construction.  

I can't see it lasting very long, but if it does replicate the ceramic egg experience it could be good for a 2nd home or rental where you don't want to make a BGE investment.   Man it feels cheap, though.

anyone ever cooked on one?

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• I've seen them. It felt lightweight and cheap, but I've seen other forums where people love them. 

Little Rock, AR

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you search on the bbq brethren forum , you'll find a bunch of folks who have them. Some modifications may be needed for optimal performance, but folks seem to be pretty happy with it. Not as good as the Bubba Keg, but not as pricey either.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    They are really solid. 

For a kamodo style grill they are an excellent value. Since metal they need to be covered but I have cooked hundred times on one. Two close buddies have one and my step dad has one. Great value, especially since can often get 20% off at lowes. My step dad got the display model from lowes for $170. They are lighter than egg bc the metal is not as heavy as the ceramic. Not as thick. But as far as kamodos go they are worth looking at for those who do not want to spend money on egg
    Boom
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a friend/neighbor who has one.  I think it can produce food on par with the egg.  I would be surprised though if it lasts more than a few years.  One nice thing is it comes with a CI grid standard and a 2nd level.  However the 2nd level is pretty  flimsy so I wouldn't expect it to hold more than 8 lbs of food.  They can be found pretty cheap as well...I saw one for $200 at Kroger a couple of years ago when they were clearing out seasonal items.   

They have a "Jr" version of this as well and I remember someone on here purchased one for their 2nd home (beach house) and they seemed pleased with it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    I have a friend/neighbor who has one.  I think it can produce food on par with the egg.  I would be surprised though if it lasts more than a few years.  One nice thing is it comes with a CI grid standard and a 2nd level.  However the 2nd level is pretty  flimsy so I wouldn't expect it to hold more than 8 lbs of food.  They can be found pretty cheap as well...I saw one for $200 at Kroger a couple of years ago when they were clearing out seasonal items.   

They have a "Jr" version of this as well and I remember someone on here purchased one for their 2nd home (beach house) and they seemed pleased with it.  
    They def need a cover. My buddy has had his for 3-4 years and keeps covered and still like new. If left uncovered like egg then def not last as long. Not sure how they would do in extremely cold places. I live in S. carolina so don't have that issue. 

You are right about the 2nd level. Not made for really heavy items. 
    Boom
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    My brother in law has one.  Cheap easy into to Komodo cooking. Not as advanced as BGE or KJ, but certainly more advanced than a kettle 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Do they hold temp well for a long low and slow cook?  (one load of lump lasting for a large pork or brisket)

Knowing that the mass of ceramic or steel will hold and retain heat, the light weight of it has me skeptical that it would be efficient fuel wise, but again, for the price even if you use more lump that may be okay.

LBGE/Maryland
  • FanOfFanboys
    KiterTodd said:
    Do they hold temp well for a long low and slow cook?  (one load of lump lasting for a large pork or brisket)

Knowing that the mass of ceramic or steel will hold and retain heat, the light weight of it has me skeptical that it would be efficient fuel wise, but again, for the price even if you use more lump that may be okay.

Not as well as BGE but better than a WSM or kettle
    Boom
  • I would look at a vision before an AKORN. They are actually made of ceramic for about the same money. 

Little Rock, AR

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I know someone who has one and said they are just cheap. Puts out decent food but internal components are cheap and does not hold temp nearly as well as an egg. If you want a cheap grill/smoker that you may need to replace every 5 years it's a good buy I guess. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Coworker has one and he really likes his
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FanOfFanboys
    I would look at a vision before an AKORN. They are actually made of ceramic for about the same money. 
    A buddy of mine just bought one. I have not seen in person but are they really $200-$300 cheap?
    Boom
  • KiterTodd
    I always want to do some slow cooking when I visit my parents but they wouldn't use an egg so it'd be a waste of money and I won't travel with my Large (too much of a hassle for me).  They may need an Akorn and not know it yet...  
    :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    we have one of these at my office and they arent bad little cookers.  If you want a kamado style cooker and are on a budget, I dont think it would be a mistake to buy one.   Ours is 2 years old and has been kept under a cover and is holding up fine.  Yes, the top grid is a joke, its nice for toasting rolls, thats about it.  I find that is doesnt hold temperature as consistently as the egg, but thats to be expected due to its construction.  For the price though, I say its fine. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Here's a thought... maybe they can follow the Matryoshka (Russian) nesting doll principle and offer an enveloping, outer egg accessory that's ceramic?  But on a more serious note, if it fits within one's budget and they're happy with it, then so be it.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    My younger brother has one.  Keeps his in the garage when not in use.  As mentioned above, for those on a budget or new to smoking/kamado it does a pretty good job.  I would say its worth the $200.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    edited March 2015
    My brother in law has one. Food tastes good. He cooks butts all the time. It's a decent unit for the money. I don't think anyone expects a $300 unit to last forever or cook like a $1000 ceramic setup. I appreciate eating off of his Akorn over other friends' CharBroil gassers. 
  • I would look at a vision before an AKORN. They are actually made of ceramic for about the same money. 
    A buddy of mine just bought one. I have not seen in person but are they really $200-$300 cheap?
    If you watch for them. I caught one at SAMs for 199. Its the same size as a medium egg with nest and shelves. The sign was listed at 399 and marked down to 299. I happened back in a week later and was down to 199 so I bought it. 

Little Rock, AR

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    KiterTodd said:

I don't know how long they can run on a given load of lump, but there are some mods which improve performance by eliminating air leaks, etc. The heat retention doesn't come from the steel necessarily but from it being double walled.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I bought a little Kahuna Grill recently for quick cooks for $169 and it seems to be working out.  They also make an 18" and 23" with plate setter like the eggs.  They are ok, but they are more clay then ceramic I think.  I've seen the Acorn before and was not impressed, but I am not impressed with  Char Grillers gas grills either.
    http://www.grillkahuna.com/

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    FWIW, Home Depot sells a version of it with a cart for $30 more.   I'm clearly behind the 8 ball on this if both hardware stores have this as a stock item.  I guess they needed something to meet the egg demand and this was it...

....and that's Cooker with a "K". :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I owned one before my egg. Its a decent cooker, but low and slow under 300 is nearly imposible.
    Danville, Il
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I've cooked on 3 of them that are owned by friends.  One of them was purchased recently and I have cooked on it 3 times.  It seems to be significantly better than the one that a different friend bought 2 years ago.  It is 20" (vs 18") diameter.  It does not have an air leak problem and holds a low temp extremely well.  It is extremely well insulated such that it is relatively cool to the touch externally at temps (300-350) where my egg is hot - suggesting that it is better insulated than the egg.  It uses less lump than my XL egg (might not be a fair comparison due to size difference), as we did a 9 hour pork butt one day and added almost nothing (wasn't any room) a few days later for a brisket cook.  And while the upper rack looks flimsy, it will hold an 18 pound brisket or 15 pounds of pork butt if you put most of the weight near the support pole. (The ceremic stone that blocks heat for an indirect cook hadn't come in yet, so we just placed a water pan on the main cooking great to create an indirect set-up).
    I've been thinking that my in-laws might need one.
    And I've wondered if these things might really catch on and cut into BGE's business. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I have a couple of friends with them. They both want to move up to eggs eventually, their budgets at the time of purchase were a little tight. They both seem happy with them, but don't seem to expect them to last forever.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    My bro in law just bought a new house and I was trying to find a gift for him as my wife(his sister) says we "need" to.  I was thinking about a webber kettle as he is interested in learning to cook on charcoal but this seems like a decent option.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Not to hijack the thread but @biggreenpharmacist how do like the Vision ? Any drawbacks or limitations compared to an egg ?
  • First and foremost, I have two eggs. A large and a small. Love them both and can cook on either blindfolded. Having said that, I like my vision. I bought it to carry to the camp and leave it so I can bring my small home and not have to haul it back and forth. I dont like the top on the vision but I think thats mostly cuz I'm not as comfortable with it. As far as the rest of it, it cooks well and holds temp great. Its obviously not as high quality as an egg but for 200 bucks its damn nice and has a good warranty. And (gasp!) they even send you an email to let you know its been officially registered. 

Little Rock, AR

• I acquired one 4 months ago, second hand from Craig's List for 200.  My son Travis Strick alerted me to the bargain. (He alerts me whenever there one for sale on CL.  I purchased his medium in Mobile AL for real cheap) He knows I am too cheap to spring for an egg : )   I have watched Travis cook many times and recently spent a month with my brother who has a LBGE. I find not too much difference between the two.   I have cooked low and slow for 12 hours without adding any lump, no problem.  It is tricky to get the temp down below 275 but can be done.  I use a plate setter with a foil pan filled with water to keep the temps lower.  The grate/grill is heavy duty and should last forever.  I worry about the metal surface corroding as I live on salt water.    I like the fact that I can add wood chips without removing the whole grill. There is a center section that lifts out. Plus it was easy to lug up the stairs to my deck.  For the right reason I could easily put it in the back of my truck without fear of a hernia.   For the price, I would be happy to replace it in a few years.  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I dont have an akorn, but I do have a bubba keg.  It is similar in design in that its a double walled metal cooker, with oven insulation in between the two layers.  It holds temp better than the egg, can run longer than an egg on one load of charcoal, and because of these two previous factors it is cooler to the touch than the egg when hot (less heat transfer).  However, I like my eggs and they are on the back porch.  The bubba keg lives under a cover on the side yard (will eventually rot out if not, unlike a ceramic), because I take it when I need a mobile kamado since it comes with a trailer hitch.  Some people think the egg cooks better than other kamados, its funny.  They cook about the same, but the egg is just the most expensive, so they can cover the warranty, the higher end shops where they are sold, and the lower volume sales.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,361
    I have an Akorn Jr at my vacation place. It is excellent. Not as well made as others (I have a LGE and a Joe Jr at home ) but, it works great and saved me some money.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario