Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak or Brisket

Options
 I am feeding 12 adults this Friday and can not decide between a couple 5/6 pound Flank Steaks or a 10/12 pound choice packer. Low and slow vs 12/15 minutes in a screaming CI. Any Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I don't know your schedule, but the brisket will take around 15 hrs or more. I personally would go with the flank steak. Marinate in lime juice, garlic, blk pepper, evoo and cilantro.
    Grill direct at around 500-600 and cook to med rare.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    med rare - or about 3-4 minutes... :) 

Fajitas sound really good... with onions and peppers (also grilled), some guacamole, cheese, salsa/pico (usually homemade) and sour cream - actually I have replaced sour cream with Mexican Crema - IMO a bit milder than sc. 

Chips, some refried beans and/or black beans on the side. And of course a margarita (or two or three)... 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They both sound great.  One problem with the steak is you might have people that don't want medium rare so you have that to deal with.  It's awkward when you have to ask them to leave :smiley: .

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would do an brisket, I like trying to impress guests, feed them something they may not eat often. That's how i try to approach it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How about a tri-tip?  Kind of a hybrid of a brisket and flank steak. 

Little Rock, AR

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Thanks for every ones input, here is my history with Brisket, I AM A NOVICE only doing 4 choice flats and my wife has shared its her least favorite cook ( I thought they were pretty good)  sooo I need a home run plus I want to learn how to make a brisky, if I go brisket it will be a 11/13 pound choice packer from GFS and I intend to rub it with S & P and low and slow it at 225/250 until yummy I'm thinking 14/16 hours then removing the point and cutting it into 1 inch cubes saucing  and making burnt ends. As for Flank Steak I have had pretty good success with this and it's one of our favorite cooks. I know the flank steak will more than likely come out good but not sure on the brisket...   
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Why stare down the barrel with SWMBO and tempt a brisket for this?  Based on your above post, sounds like flank steak is the way to go and then perfect the brisket magic.  That said, perhaps you are looking forward to the extended SWMBO eggscape time afforded by a brisket cook???  :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    When serving guests I recommend sticking with what your good at.  I experiment on the kids.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin