Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
My son and I really like the seasoned outer layer of a pork butt so I was wondering if anyone has ever cut the pork butt in half, seasoned both sides and egged it that way?  

How did that work out?

Also, was wondering if you had an input on:
  • How much time will this take, got to imagine less than half?
  • Any way to make sure it stays moist?
  • Should I use less salt or any other normal rub component?
  • Any other considerations?
Woody in Northville, MI
Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Several will cut butts in half to achieve what you are seeking.  The bark results are as you would eggspect-more surface area.  Regarding cook times-this is not a linear deal.  When you take an 8 lb butt and create two 4's-the smaller butts tend to cook longer/lb than the larger ones.  Each hunk will finish at its own pace but turn out just fine moisture and texture-wise.
    Regarding the rub-if you like what you have now, I wouldn't change.  If you are looking to cook turbo, then you should be mindful of the sugar content as it can burn at the higher cooks temps.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    I wasn't planning to go turbo, but will keep the sugar in mind.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    my brother buys boneless and just splays it out flat, inside up for all the nooks and crannies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it