Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15 inch egg. Unable to hot

Options
new egg owner.   We have a medium 15 inch egg.  No ash, all holes open.   Vent open and top open.  Good amout of the proper coal.   Well... The temp will not go above 400.   What can I do to get the temp to 600..   All help appreciated.  

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    If your airflow is OK and you have plenty of lump, all you should need to do is wait.  It will get to temp eventually.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are you lighting the top of the lump?  Light the top all over to get really hot.  And make sure there's not bunch of small pieces obstructing air flow. 

This upgrade below also will help.  If you still can't get hot, try a different brand of lump. 

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Medium/dp/B0063911HI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426653244&sr=8-2&keywords=high+que+grate
    Options
    Fill up the fire ring and fire bowl.  
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Todd-Man
    Todd-Man Posts: 18
    Options
    Also check that the opening in the base of the fire bowl is lined up with the lower vent opening.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    All of the above suggestions are spot on, but if you have the ability to post a photo of your egg with the set up you're unable to get to temp it could help to resolve this much more quickly. 

As as they say a picture is worth 1,000 words.... and that is especially true in this case.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Is the daisy wheel removed?

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If the lower vent is lined up with the fire box arch, lump lit from the top and the vents are wide open (DFMT off, lower screen clear) you should have flames coming out the top within 10 minutes. If not return your lump for a refund, it is defective! =)

This assumes the dome thermo is calibrated.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    My Medium Is my go to cooker. If it isn't coming up to temp look at above posts. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Inferno
    Inferno Posts: 1
    Options
    Perhaps your Egg temperature gauge is defective ??
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Inferno said:
    Perhaps your Egg temperature gauge is defective ??
    Ohhh ya!

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Calibrate the temp gauge in boiling water by adjusting the nut on the back til it reads 21 degrees
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Calibrate the temp gauge in boiling water by adjusting the nut on the back til it reads 21 degrees
    212 F
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The Medium has the worst designed Fire Grate. I have the same issue and I have narrowed it down to the airflow in the fire grate. Stick your ash tool in the bottom vent and use the tip to grab one of the holes in the grate. A simple jiggle seems to work for me. Hope this helps!
  • Moraine
    Moraine Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you!   Fire ring is full of bge coal.  Coals are lit from the bottom and all coals are burning.   Daisy wheel was swung off to the side leaving the top wide open.  The bottom vent was open with the screen removed.     I am going to calibrate temp gauge but last night we could tell that the actual temp was low, not just the gauge.   Meat was not cooking.   I am going to ck if the hole on the fire box can be lines up better with the vent.   We put a house fan next to the egg and the temp slowly went up.   I even checked if the fan option for Egg. ($225.00) would work.   The company does not make it for the 15 inch egg.   First Egg experience is not going so good 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Moraine said:
    Thank you!   Fire ring is full of bge coal.  Coals are lit from the bottom and all coals are burning.   Daisy wheel was swung off to the side leaving the top wide open.  The bottom vent was open with the screen removed.     I am going to calibrate temp gauge but last night we could tell that the actual temp was low, not just the gauge.   Meat was not cooking.   I am going to ck if the hole on the fire box can be lines up better with the vent.   We put a house fan next to the egg and the temp slowly went up.   I even checked if the fan option for Egg. ($225.00) would work.   The company does not make it for the 15 inch egg.   First Egg experience is not going so good 
    Take the daisy wheel off. There is still a sufficent amount of airflow restriction with it on, even when swung open

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    The Medium has the worst designed Fire Grate. I have the same issue and I have narrowed it down to the airflow in the fire grate. Stick your ash tool in the bottom vent and use the tip to grab one of the holes in the grate. A simple jiggle seems to work for me. Hope this helps!
    I don't understand the issue with the fire grate? My medium gets hot faster than ANY of my other eggs. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hit 750 last night no problem.  I actually had to close the bottom some to throttle it down to 750 while searing some steak.  Something must be out of alignment or blocked.  Don't get to frustrated yet.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I hit 750 last night no problem.  I actually had to close the bottom some to throttle it down to 750 while searing some steak.  Something must be out of alignment or blocked.  Don't get to frustrated yet.

What I would do next is remove the hot skillet with a pot holder and set it aside, close the egg, have a swig of my beer, then grab the handle with my bare hand.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt like a backdraft I bet you only do that once!

I leave the skillets in the egg while it cools down to avoid that exact situation.  I'm a clutz and forgetful.  That is a dangerous combination.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'll bet you dumped the lump in from the bag?  Next time build the pile a handful at a time with larger pieces around the holes in the grate and around the holes in the firebox.  Then fill in, but not compact, with more handfuls of lump.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Moraine
    Moraine Posts: 5
    Options
    Good suggestion on the coal.  I did dump.  I also have that clay stand to prevents flair ups.  I would like to use it as I hate charred steaks.   We are going to try without it and see if that makes a difference.  I will report back 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Clay stand?  Are you talking about plate setter?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Have you tried drinking beer while you're waiting for it to come up to temp?
    Scotch works as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Have you tried drinking beer while you're waiting for it to come up to temp?
    I find if I pound a few followed by a shot of patron, the temp is good to go. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I shotgun 3 or four milwakees best, a 3 wisemen, and a vodka cranberry.  Then I forget what I am doing and I don't care about the temp.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Beer bong works wonders. ..
    Options
    I may have to do that.    Put a house fan on high and directed it at the lower vent.  Coal set so hole were not obstructed.   No ash.  Could ony get temp to 450.  Sigh.   Perhaps more coal.   If I do not use coveggtor (plate setter) the grill will sit an inch from the coals.  I do not want to char my steaks.  I will keep trying 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Try the stuff the people say.  You'll figure it out.  Leaf blower clears out the ash.  Make sure no flammables are around.
    minniemoh said:
    I don't understand the issue with the fire grate? My medium gets hot faster than ANY of my other eggs. 
    Mine too, but for whatever reason it won't until I shake the fire grate.