Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
all this talk about fish got me to a thinking :dangerous ground: But I've never cooked salamon...but could I do a catfish filet just the same? My oldest loves fried fish, but I'm thinking this might be good too? What kind of wood would ya use to help w/the smoke? Considering I have to go purchase lump tomorrow....I have a fish/veggie pan, should I use that to cook it on? I'm going to have to get dad to make me a good filet :O) :times and temps on the fish please:

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Arlene,[p]Personally I had some bad disasters trying to add smoke flavor to fish and seafood when I first got my egg outside of when I'm actually SMOKING fish. If yer making it for dinner I think the additional flavor of the lump will suffice.[p]I've never done catfish on the egg but I seem to recall that it's not one of the 'fleshier' fish on the grill so I would definately use a method to try and keep it together such as a grill wok or fish pan.[p]Todd
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Arlene,
    Alder is the traditional wood for smoking many types of fish. I like smoke and I've never been dissapointed with Alder on fish. I either cook salmon or any other fish on a cedar plank or on a grate covered with foil. (I roast the fish, not really grilling it.) Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Arlene,
    brush the filets with olive oil and sprinkle some garlic salt and lemon pepper onto the fish. wrap them in foil and grill at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes. i use this simple recipe often and i'm sure you'll like it. i tried smoking some whole crappies one time and didnt care for them at all. the smoke was just too strong in the fish for my taste.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Arlene, catfish is definitely one of the less firm fish so you really want to eliminate flipping it. Make sure the grill it self is hot and the surface well oiled before placing the fish on it. An alternative I like is to use the new Reynolds Grill sheets. I use a half or a quarter sheet (depending on how much I am grilling). It comes perforated with 1/4" holes to allow some of the smoke to get to the bottom. I do not flip it at all and then I remove the entire sheet to a platter. I can then flip it over and remove the foil. It's the "Release" foil so it sticks very little. And, catfish is great. Very sweet with little of what my wife calls the "fish taste". Fish taste like fish?

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Arlene,
    If your oldest loves fried fish, he/she might like the fish I cooked over the weekend. We liked it a lot and I'll do it again. [p]We had mahi filets. They soaked in soy sauce and Italian dressing while the egg got going. Then I dumped the marinade and dredged the fishies in a mixture of about 3 parts Italian bread crumbs and 1 part coconut flakes. I shook the filets lightly after dredging so no big clumps were left on the fish.[p]Grilled direct with that fish/veggie kind of pan (sprayed well with Pam for Grilling) right on the normal-height main grid. Sorry, but I don't remember times. The egg was running at about 450 dome, and I flipped when I saw the sides turning from translucent to opaque. The breading stayed pretty nicely intact. The coconut lends a nice flavor--not sweet like a dessert, just toasty.[p]Next time, I'll cut the large filets so that I don't filets with such a big variance in thickness. I should have given the thick stuff a little head start. I took all off when before the thin ends became too well done, but the thick ends could have gone a bit longer. Can't wait to try again.[p]Good luck, whatever you decide to cook.[p]Joyce
    starting to like fish