Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EPA to regulate backyard BBQ!

Options

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    For every 10 rulings that come down from the EPA 8 of them are ridiculous. If we all walked around we these stats we'd be in real trouble. To defend the EPA on these rulings is to defend corruption at some level.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The article said it was focused on propane fired units. This wouldn't apply to our eggs!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    This is thread is worth a laugh or 2. Haha

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    grege345 said:
    For every 10 rulings that come down from the EPA 8 of them are ridiculous. If we all walked around we these stats we'd be in real trouble. To defend the EPA on these rulings is to defend corruption at some level.
    Except there hasn't been any ruling.  The article assumes the EPA is coming after backyard barbecues because they've funded a research study at a University.  

We all know what happens when you assume.  You make an ass out of u and me.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Personally, a hand crank filter on the egg gives me another excuse to stay outside. 
  • grege345
    Options
    We know they Had a ruling a few years ago that specifically calls out pollutants such as grills. It's sort of a broad stroke. Nothing to assume. 
    http://dailysignal.com/2012/06/26/court-upholds-greenhouse-gas-rule-congress-needs-to-step-up/

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Some of you folks here want to jump on any and everything... Relax, lifes not that serious.

Did I not see that Ozark Oak is closing down because EPA!!!???  (could be wrong on that)   How many coal plants have been closed down by the EPA? How many steel plants, lead smelting plants (read bullets) have been shut down because of the EPA. The EPA is run by far left-leaning democrats.  I would think that the workers being put out of a job because of the actions of the EPA would take exception to your seemingly glib view of reality. It is very serious to them.  There are also reports of parts of the USA fighting the potential ban of wood stoves (read no more heat) - which will inevitably be interpreted as any device burning anything including your BGE. Not Serious?? Not sure I would agree with that sentiment.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @grege345  You posted an editorial.  That was brilliant. 
    Options
    How many rivers have been protected by the EPA?!?!?!?  How many lakes?!?!?  And what's up with the clean air act?!?!?  We should be free to breathe whatever dirty air the companies want to produce!!!  Damn communists!!!!  I WANT MY FREEDUMB!!!!!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

"We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name----liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names----liberty and tyranny."

-----Abraham Lincoln, 1864
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    This **** should be restricted to weekends. I'm going to bed shortly and I'll be much less ornery and much more inhibited in the morning.  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Maybe that net neutrality ruling can prevent controversial posts on weekdays. ;) 
  • grege345
    Options
    So the epa does not consider grills a pollutant??

• nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Some of you folks here want to jump on any and everything... Relax, lifes not that serious.

Did I not see that Ozark Oak is closing down because EPA!!!???  (could be wrong on that)   How many coal plants have been closed down by the EPA? How many steel plants, lead smelting plants (read bullets) have been shut down because of the EPA. The EPA is run by far left-leaning democrats.  I would think that the workers being put out of a job because of the actions of the EPA would take exception to your seemingly glib view of reality. It is very serious to them.  There are also reports of parts of the USA fighting the potential ban of wood stoves (read no more heat) - which will inevitably be interpreted as any device burning anything including your BGE. Not Serious?? Not sure I would agree with that sentiment.
    Can you give a single example of anything you said and how it is egregious ?  RRP called Ozark Oak and they guy wants to retire, it was a quick decision.  I'm just waiting on the confederate flag posts at this time, as I've almost given up on any semblance of intelligent dialog. 
    Options
    I just showed up on this thread. Didn't bother opening it from my phone because I knew I needed a PC to appreciate it fully.

EPA does some good stuff, and they also over-reach. 

Same could be said about many other organizations.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
     I've almost given up on any semblance of intelligent dialog. 
    You have 12,600 posts and you're just now giving up on intelligent dialogue?  You sir, are an optimist!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    There are many that feel above the few. However, it's the few that bring intelligence to the many. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, the EPA does a lot of stupid stuff also.  I work in an industry that does compliance testing and they don't update their methodology, and everyone in the industry complains about it.  But the worst, most inefficient crap we deal with is coming from the auditors working on behalf of the chemical/petroleum industry.  They make us jump through stupid flaming hoops.  And the states all have their own idea of how tests should be written and executed.  If you're an oil company, you have to match the compliance testing with the state, and there are dozens of different ways to do the same thing because of these state DEQs. 

Do you like your garbage picked up, water you can drink and clean air to breathe?  Take a look at China, then post some intelligent information on how things can be improved and not some sweeping ideological generalizations.   

Thank you. 
    Options
    grege345 said:
    So the epa does not consider grills a pollutant??
    I think @nola's point was that the article you linked mentioned a ruling by the Courts, not the EPA.  

But to answer your question, no, the EPA does not consider grills pollutants, not any more than it considers human beings pollutants. The pollutant is CO2.  However, this does not necessarily mean that the EPA has plans to come after anything and everything that produces CO2.   Although I have seen reports that they are buying up squadrons of black helicopters, so....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

This is horrifying!!!! I had absolutely no idea that propane grills were such a threat to the environment.

That's it. No more gas grilling for me.

Waitaminit... I don't have a gas grill.

I have a gas stove!

"Honey, I'll be outside by the eggs... forever!"

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I take everything back.  There was snow outside, so nevermind. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0a_60PMR8
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nolaegghead said: When did the EPA regulate food?  You ARE smoking, Todd.  
    Please refer to the EPA, not me. Besides it shouldn't be so surprising as the government has a habit of studying outside it's lines. If I told you the CDC is studying gun violence, the government granted millions to study why lesbians are fatter then gay man, and furthermore the behavior habits of gay men using dating apps on their phones....I would google search that before you throw another insult. http://investmentwatchblog.com/nascar-inks-green-deal-with-epa-will-push-sustainable-concessions-on-fans/

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I can't wait for NASCAR to turn into  Prius vs Volt races.  Those electrical engineers in the pit crew can probably jack up the top speed to a boggling 100 mph!  Every dozen laps the cars will have to pit for a complete battery swap.  That'll be 10 minutes of pure excitement!  Good times are ahead of us fellas!  NASCAR fans are in for a treat!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    SkinnyV said:

Can you give a single example of anything you said and how it is egregious ?  RRP called Ozark Oak and they guy wants to retire, it was a quick decision.  I'm just waiting on the confederate flag posts at this time, as I've almost given up on any semblance of intelligent dialog. 
    It was later determined that the EPA had indeed been dogging OO and they decided to retire rather than spend the money to comply. The main thing I take away from this is lump hoarding. Regulations work their way into the cost of products. I don't see lump getting any cheaper. If you find what you like, stock up, it might not be around later and surely not at the same price. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Lets just dump all our sewage untreated into our drinking water supply, it's cheap and the perpetual diarrhea will offset all that weight gain. 

But, but...if you do that, I'll be out of a job. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Ask a shooter about ammo costs/availability over the past decade.....
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Before y'all get your panties wadded up in your cracks, read the article.

"The grant is part of the EPA's "National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet (2014)."

The EPA also said that it does not regulate backyard barbecues. Research conducted by the University of California Riverside is part of the People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) program, which is a student design competition for sustainability."

Secondly, they're talking about grease traps.  Third, wouldn't you think they'd go down the list of sources and hit the low hanging fruit first, like old coal burning plants?  Duh.  You won't see BBQ pits banned ever in your life.  Maybe in some apt complexes or cities with really bad smog problems, but it won't be the EPA.  

NOLA, can I just say I adore you! I have always followed your posts, but had just about the wrongest impression of you (as to your way of thinking) I could possibly have had before having the honor of meeting you last weekend. You, sir, rock!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy