Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EPA to regulate backyard BBQ!

And yes that includes BBQing on Eggs! Im not going to get into my passion of political discussions on this forum, but this post is to inform you all that unelected officials of the EPA are now targeting us in our own backyards. Say what you want about the EPA...great, or awesome, blah, blah,...but just know that no matter what you feel these days are coming...and it wont be long after that until they regulate competitions. So it won't be delirious to think that one day you'll have EPA agents all over the Jack.  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/backyard-burger-and-wiener-roasts-targeted-by-epa/article/2561474

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    And yes that includes BBQing on Eggs! Im not going to get into my passion of political discussions on this forum, but this post is to inform you all that unelected officials of the EPA are now targeting us in our own backyards. Say what you want about the EPA...great, or awesome, blah, blah,...but just know that no matter what you feel these days are coming...and it wont be long after that until they regulate competitions. So it won't be delirious to think that one day you'll have EPA agents all over the Jack.  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/backyard-burger-and-wiener-roasts-targeted-by-epa/article/2561474

My wife sent me that this morning.  Auto-correct hacked me.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Just another brilliant way drive up the cost of living & eating away at our liberty. 
    There's another proposal to monitor the amount of water used by hotel patrons taking long showers. :smirk: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Yep - There is no doubt the fargin bastiges would like to control everything. Great idea - a nice little research project to be conducted at UCR to help "save" the environment. I can't believe this was only on propane BBQs. In many places charcoal bbqs are already banned. The erosion of our personal freedom for "the greater good" is well underway in virtually every segment. Here in the peoples republic of Kalifornia, we are on the tip of the spear...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Before y'all get your panties wadded up in your cracks, read the article.

"The grant is part of the EPA's "National Student Design Competition for Sustainability Focusing on People, Prosperity and the Planet (2014)."

The EPA also said that it does not regulate backyard barbecues. Research conducted by the University of California Riverside is part of the People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) program, which is a student design competition for sustainability."

Secondly, they're talking about grease traps.  Third, wouldn't you think they'd go down the list of sources and hit the low hanging fruit first, like old coal burning plants?  Duh.  You won't see BBQ pits banned ever in your life.  Maybe in some apt complexes or cities with really bad smog problems, but it won't be the EPA.  

Debbie downer, where's the fun it that Nola. This could have had legs. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    On one hand you can understand why some areas have no burn days. The fog is rolling around and some moron is heating his house with wood to save on the natural gas or electric bill in an open Rumford fireplace or Franklin stove. I can understand it if it is your only heat source but that is seldom the case. The whole neighbourhood is enveloped in smoke. The result - all outdoor burning is banned, including charcoal BBQs. 
    There is no doubt that charcoal grills are making up more of the market, it is only going to get worse. Like my EPA approved fireplace insert, there is very little visible smoke once the fire is going. Unfortunately, kamados get lumped in with other not so neighbour friendly smokers.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Come on. Bureaucracies like the EPA do not do research without the intention of regulating what is studied. Think of it this way...notice healthier food choices with food vendors at NASCAR? Well that is the result of the EPA..."have healthier food, or will will start going after your engines".
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    And as reminder, some voted for "change". Well this is the kind of crap that dumbocrats dream up. Bbq causing global warming. Give me a break. In honor of this I'm going to light every pit and egg I own when I get home. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If those nuts have their way, we will all be running restrictor plates and catalytic converters on our eggs to meet current EPA regulations. How stupid can people really be? This is the kind of crap that needs to be stopped before people ever start jumping on the bandwagon. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Come on. Bureaucracies like the EPA do not do research without the intention of regulating what is studied. Think of it this way...notice healthier food choices with food vendors at NASCAR? Well that is the result of the EPA..."have healthier food, or will will start going after your engines".
    When did the EPA regulate food?  You ARE smoking, Todd.  
    Basically after "reading" this if it effected anybody it would be industrial and commercial sites. Grease traps and removal of waste is already controlled by regulation and restaurants and industrial production facilities have been following these protocols for decades. Simmer down Spartacus. I'm not one for more govt regulation or strangulation either but, I myself am not quivering in my boots over this just yet. Egg on friends egg on. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited March 2015
    I worked for the EPA as contractor for a while. Many years ago there was a proposal to add particulate filters to BBQ grills. I think the the problem was that grease plugged the filters. That might be the reason you don't have filters yet. IIRC, the rules would roll out like emissions controls did for cars.  
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Ever drive thru a Sonic, Checkers, Rallys, McDonald's blah blah blah. They ALL have some sort of pump out station (grease). They also have filtration on their hoods and grease traps. Not only does it protect the air, water, soil, etc (environment) it also LARGELY in fact protects their equipment and roofs from sludge buildup etc. Ever hear of a backflow prevention valve for plumbing?   Again most of these things are already in place and being used.  Companies make the products which create jobs etc etc. Don't burn off your gasket arguing democrat vs republican garbage. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    @NPHuskerFL - we're in agreement

Not sure using an electric motor for grease traps buys you that much considering what is mostly used in creating power.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Give an inch & they'll take a mile!
    I'm not concerned about my lifetime, but the lifetime of my grandchildren. They already owe the Federal Government $150,000 at birth with the ballooning trillions in Government spending & debt.
    Geez, everyone has their hand open for another handout. 
    What happens when the takers outnumber the taxpayers? 
    The taxpayers will run out of money, sooner than some are willing to acknowledge.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2015
    Well I am going to vote for someone who doesn't have a private email server and will keep putting out the smoke until they pry my Egg from my dead hands which probably will never happen.  So cook on.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @nolaegghead besides filtration on our BGE will screw with airflow and they don't want to piss off Egghead Nation. Hey it's not like they're saying we can't have a hundred to two hundred eggs simultaneously smoking & if we do they'll shut down Eggfests. They didn't say that :whistle: :lol:  :fearful: 
    Just letting this thread have legs. :giggle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    I accept your offer
    I just lol'd
  • Come on. Bureaucracies like the EPA do not do research without the intention of regulating what is studied. Think of it this way...notice healthier food choices with food vendors at NASCAR? Well that is the result of the EPA..."have healthier food, or will will start going after your engines".
    :rofl: 

healthy food at NASCAR controlled by the EPA!!!!! This is awesome. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    the most-est awesomeness ever!  We have NASCAR, EPA, tax dollars, an unread source article....doesn't get any better than this!!
    Ya'll go ahead & laugh now. 
    But don't be crying later. Just smile & bend over.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Some of you folks here want to jump on any and everything... Relax, lifes not that serious.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354