Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yeti querstion

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Yesterday while unloading the yeti it leaked a substantial amount of water out of the front between the straps. After several emails they said the gap was to release the gas from dry ice. I don't plan on using that so would an additional gasket "hurt" anything? They advice to keep it filled, don't drain the water and keep air out...and leave a gap?
I'm not sure about a $400 cooler that leaks.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Get a pelican, fool! 

Whatcha doing in my waters?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Also, I don't seen why the extra gasket would hurt if no frozen CO2. Frozen H2O a-ok!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    sounds fishy 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    sounds fishy 
    Hopefully his vehicle doesn't smells fishy. My dad had a bad experience with shrimp and a leaky cooler. Blech!
  • henapple
    Options
    Get a pelican, fool! 

Whatcha doing in my waters?
    Just taking in the air...
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options
    PELICAN!!!!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    sounds fishy 
    Hopefully his vehicle doesn't smells fishy. My dad had a bad experience with shrimp and a leaky cooler. Blech!
    that reminds me, theres dead smelt in my engal, dont know if i really want to open it but if pics are needed........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    Options
    It's too late for a pelican. After more emails with yeti I'll have to solve the problem myself. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Why is it too late? Just sell the Yeti.
  • chupacabra
    Options
    Agreed with the Pelican recommendations...My Pelican has been through the ringer and I have no complaints at all.  Plus it's cheaper than the yeti
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Uncle Apple I have several friends who use Yeti. Haven't heard them say that theirs leak. If Yeti says its normal, then I guess it could be. But it sure doesn't sound right. Seems like if it wasn't air tight that it would affect its performance. For the record, I bought a ass kicking Pelican to be on the safe side. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    henapple said:
    It's too late for a pelican. After more emails with yeti I'll have to solve the problem myself. 
    you would think for the price they could have just added a relief plug for the gas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm not sure about a $400 cooler that leaks.

I agree 100% with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. It sure doesn't sound right that it should leak. Again I know other suckers who wasted good money on Yeti instead of Pelican, but haven't heard them say that they leaked. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I'm just messing with you above Uncle Apple. Hope you get it fixed for sure. Again the guys I know that have the Yetis have no complaints. 

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Options
    The early models apparently didn't leak but would vac seal shut. Had to loosen the drain to relieve the pressure. 
    @fishlessman ...That's what I told them. I'm going Redneck and improving a $400 cooler.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Coleman doesn't leak.
    Flint, Michigan
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    My Orca 40 qrt passed the test holdiNg ice(no leakage) this winter. Next week comes the extended warmer temp test. Headed down to Florida Panhandle for lot of R&R.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

You probably damaged it by locking it up this past weekend...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
     Would you advise staying away from Yeti coolers and mugs. It seems at first you guys loved them but now are having lots of problems with them!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:

You probably damaged it by locking it up this past weekend...

Loking things up tends to lead to folks attempting to pry them open with a screwdriver. I can't imagine that is healthy for the gasket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    I have a Orca 60qt a K2 30qt and a Yeti 20qt.  Out of the three the Yeti is the only one that leaks.   
  • SGH
    Options
    walleyv said:
    I have a Orca 60qt a K2 30qt and a Yeti 20qt.  Out of the three the Yeti is the only one that leaks.   
    I really like the Orcas. I presently have a Pelican but would snatch a Orca up in a second.  

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For $400 I would scrape of the stickers and return that biznatch.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeti excels in removing money from your wallet.  We left Salado with two more Yetis....the can koozies.  

That gas escaping thing sounds like BS.  Pressure would push the lid open enough for the CO2 to burp before the sides busted out....unless they engineered the gasket to seal tighter under pressure.....usually they're under a vacuum.

Solution: Get a Pelican. 

Definitely get an Engel Dry Box.  That's up at the top of my eggcessory list along with the Thermapen. 
    Options
    hahaha
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    Brother go ahead and hit the agree or like button on my comment above. You know you want to!!

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Options
    Someone flagged your a$$...ha.
  • SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    It was that democrat loving hippy :wink: 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    For the record, not only is that flagger a democrat, he has a leaking Yeti as well.

Status- Standing by.