Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker II or other setup? Advice needed...

Options
So, after the cool gauges @Eggerty had in http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1693417/#  I WANT ONE!  Who all has a Stoker?  Do you love it?  How about others like CyberQ?  Which is best?
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Ordered my Stoker last week...anticipating @NPHuskerFL has some great input
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    It was actually @DMW. I am still contemplating on a auto system but after @DMW's thread I am very interested. Will be following this!
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've had my Stoker Wi-Fi for awhile now. I would recommend it to anybody that is looking for a quality pit controller. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you like wires, charts, WiFi remote, etc, then yes, the Stoker is all around quality. Can you go without it? Yes, I used a PartyQ for over a year and just recently upgraded. I still like the battery option of the PartyQ for portable use, but the Stoker feature set is really cool if you want to log you cooks and watch temp plots.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    @Eggerty you are right!  I was at the top of page two looking for the thread author.  @DMW thanks for the post and feedback.  @NPHuskerFL you, too!  I do love me some wires, charts, wifi, etc!  I was watching your dang cook all day - could smell the brisket on my screen.  @lkapigianany idea when yours is shipping?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip hoping with the next week or two on the outside- When I spoke with them he just said they were filling orders - I am sure they have some catch up--I wont bug them unless it hits the 3 week range
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    They were catching up on their orders as of a week ago or so.  If you are thinking about it I'd pull the trigger soon while they are still discounted because of the supply delays. 

I've had mine about three weeks and love it. Doing my second brisket with it as we speak. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @NPHuskerFl question on the daisy wheel which I don't really see in the videos....Wheel On Off? Position? same as  Manual?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Loved my stoker. Wouldn't replace it with any others.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    anyone ever had their fire go out with a controller attached?  Or does it really keep it going regardless?
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    if your electricity turns off, it would go out. Otherwise, never had an issue.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Love my stoker, and the sleep it affords me before hosting a large party, and the fact that I can check meat temps from anywhere, and that I can run both the small & large with just another fan, and set of probes.  
    I've never had a Cyber Que, so no comment there. 
    Just remember to always put the daisy wheel on, and close it most of the way (depending on temp desired), otherwise you can get a runaway. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @bbqlearner - yup, no power, no blower!  @tazcrash thanks!  Okay, I've ordered one for my large.  Thanks for all the advice!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @lkapigian DFMT position will be really close to the same as what you're used to doing L&S manually. Same would go for if you were using the Smokeware vs the DFMT. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @lkapigian daisy wheel on just barely open with the petals.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip no power or running out of lump would be the only two happenings where it would not keep the flames going. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @ScottborasjrUnless you're like a Boy Scout. :wink: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    anyone ever had their fire go out with a controller attached?  Or does it really keep it going regardless?
    I know some of us use the High-que grate in place of the stock bge grate.  If you are not familiar with this product, check out the link below you to see how much more airflow you get.  I happened to order mine through Amazon.

http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--9-dia_p_19.html

The only caveat may be related to warranty.  Keep you stock grate on hand.  This is probably not a necessary purchase but they are nice.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Thanks @mahenryak
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    You're welcome.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I finally committed to a wifi controller and after much pondering and consulting with folks here, decided to get the Stoker wifi II (have not ordered yet). Consensus seemed to be that the stoker would be better in terms of wifi range and remote control over the interwebs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Thanks @caliking I got mine on order today!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I set my DFMT so when the blower is on and lid closed it does not strain the blower and create back pressure. Listen as you close the DFMT and you will hear the difference. The stoker has a flap in the blower housing so if no blow no flow. And besides the DFMT will not feed air to the lump anyway.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX