Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Wagyu Brisket

Options
I Just Got my medium big green egg. I bought it from a buddy of mine. Half of the Top seal is missing and I will be replacing the seal soon. Right now I am using Cowboy Lump Charcoal. It isn't the best, but it works. I will be smoking a 7.8lbs Wagyu brisket and it seems as though when I get the Cowboy charcoal started it burns at about 400 degrees for an hour or 2 before I can get it down to about 250 degrees including shutting off oxygen flow into the BGE. I need to smoke the brisket for about 12hrs I don't think that the Cowboy Charcoal is going to last that long with out adding more. Then we have the 400 degree issue. I know where to get some Rockwood charcoal but I am afraid it is going to be really expensive for our budget as a seminary student. I don't want to mess this brisket up My first time smoking a brisket especially a Wagyu Brisket. I could use a little direction in this area.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Freeze the wagyu brisket until you have a new gasket (contact @RRP for one) so you can control your airflow.  Do a shakedown cruise with a cheaper brisket, get your temp control worked out. 400 degrees isnt the lump, it's just overshooting the temp.  You don't have to go spendy with lump, Royal Oak from Walmart would be better than cowboy.  Get some oak chunks to add.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!!! If you haven't already started the cook for the Wagyu stop now and wait til you hear from the master's that are on this forum. Cowboy lump is not what you want. At the very least do Royal Oak for your cooks. There are a lot of lump options that are better and similarly priced. If you are having an issue with your gasket contact @RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL as quickly as possible. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I agree dont use cowboy, I gave away 10 bags after thinking I scored a great deal on it. Never again.
    Seattle, WA
  • biggin74
    biggin74 Posts: 37
    Options
    I already bought the seal replacement. So when it goes I will buy the Rutland gasket. Sounds so much better and it is cheaper! Secondly, If I can get some rockwood, go ahead and get it? Don't have time to do trial run, cooking it We'd next week. Do I set the the oxygen flow before or after lighting the charcoal?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Congrats on the new Egg, don't be afraid to try cooking all types of food on this great cooker.  Mistakes are how you become good.  I would possibly choose cheaper cuts to practice with before jumping into the wagyu scene. At first stick with the cooks you are familiar with maybe the best way to learn about the new cooker.  Temperature control is your first hurdle, play with it.  Enjoy.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Cowboy lump with Wagu beef is like puttin 87 octane in a ferrari. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Spring for the Rockwood... What's an extra $10 when you're talking Wagyu?
  • biggin74
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Spring for the Rockwood... What's an extra $10 when you're talking Wagyu?

That is very true!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Catch the temp on the way up. Light get fire established, close dome, get within 50* of desired temp, set vents. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    ^^What @theyolksonyou said^^

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    You have a wagyu brisket but you are worried about the cost of charcoal?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Better do some searching on the forum to find out how you check doneness, don't cook to time.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • biggin74
    Options
    ads75 said:
    You have a wagyu brisket but you are worried about the cost of charcoal?
    Lol it was a gift.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You mentioned half of the top gasket is missing.  Since you already have the gasket I would try to get it replaced ASAP and play with the temp settings.  If you don't have time to replace it, I would at least remove the remaining half of the top gasket.  1/2 of a gasket is much worse than no gasket because it leaves an air gap. 

I suspect the gasket issue is what is causing your 400 degree egg.  FWIW this has nothing to do with the lump- you would still have the same issue with Rockwood.  Heck it might be worse because RW burns hotter.  You have to be able to restrict the air to the egg to keep the fire low.  

That being said I do agree with others that I would probably spring for the RW because it will burn cleaner (less "bad" smoke, less ash). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Check out youtube as well, always lots of good tips there. Sometimes it helps to see what needs to be done.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • biggin74
    Options
    Legume said:
    Freeze the wagyu brisket until you have a new gasket (contact @RRP for one) so you can control your airflow.  Do a shakedown cruise with a cheaper brisket, get your temp control worked out. 400 degrees isnt the lump, it's just overshooting the temp.  You don't have to go spendy with lump, Royal Oak from Walmart would be better than cowboy.  Get some oak chunks to add.

I've decided to go ahead and order the gasket from @RRP and replace it right.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    biggin74 said:

I've decided to go ahead and order the gasket from @RRP and replace it right.

This is a wise decision that you will not regret.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• biggin74
    Options
    Here we go!! Wagyu with course salt and pepper! 
  • biggin74
    Options
    Bedtime for me hope it is ready by the time I get up!
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    How did this turn?
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • biggin74
    Options
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
  • biggin74
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here is the finished product cutting in in An hour!! Final temp 185 exact
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    That looks horrible.  I better come pick it up and take it off your hands before you waste your time slicing it.  Where do you live?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• biggin74
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Maybe you better ship it.  Put it in a small high quality cooler with some hot towels and ship it to me overnight in San Antonio. 

Thanks in advance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is looking mighty fine.  I'm looking forward to the sliced pics (tomorrow morning, once @Foghorn receives it). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• biggin74
    Options
    Hope there is some left when u get here
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very easy on the eyes...  Nice going!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore