Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table finish question

I'm building my table and the frame is near complete. Would it be smart to finish the frame separately then place the top and shelves on or seal it together? Prob a stupid question, I've never done this before, but it seems I would have more or easier access to all of the frame before it goes together. BTW the entire table is cedar?i know there are a lot of beautiful tables on here with a lot of expertise. So what did y'all find the best way to seal/finish your tables
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    edited March 2015
    I'm in the exact same boat right now.  Building a cedar table and have the base done - no top on it yet.  I think I'm going to let the cedar dry for a week or two and then try a finish.  I've got the boards for the top cut to length already.  I think I'll finish those on sawhorses and the install them once they're dry.  I have no idea if this way is better but it can't hurt.

I think most people use multiple coats of a spar urethane to finish.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    @jimithing I tracked down a friend who does this kind of stuff and he said it would be fine so I'm in the process of sealing my frame now then I will install my top and shelves and seal them after. Good luck on your table!
    -Todd
  • Either way will work.  How are you going to fasten down the top and shelf boards?  If you are using pocket holes with screws from the under side you will be done.  If you are going to screw the boards down from the top then it might be a good idea to seal the screw heads with finish after assembly.  Good luck and post some pictures when you're done.  
  • RiverDoc
    Thanks @yellowdogbbq I'm using pocket hole screws from the bottom so hopefully it will work. The frame is put together that way also I'll post pics of build when/if I finish here is my 6y/o shadow working hard.
    -Todd
  • Table looks great and nice to see you have help!  Finishing first then assembly will work well with pocket holes.
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I finished my table assembled, three coats buffing with steel wool after each coat, my back was sour a bit from bending and such but either way would work.your table looks good!
  • RiverDoc
    Thanks @luckyboy first coat went on frame today!
    -Todd
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I didn't read all the other posts but you want to protect all 6 sides of each piece of wood with a protective finish to maximize resistance to water.  Glue on one side counts as finishing that one side.  Also, bevel any areas that could hold water or give them extra protection.