Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Copper

Options
I know this is probably the 100th thread about this but just one quick question, I have the Rutland I am about to put on, has everyone been able to get by with just one bottle when applying to a Large Egg? Thanks.
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    yes, and lots left over.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Thank you, was just uncertain.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Didn't know it came in a bottle. All I've ever seen is a tube (like toothpaste). One tube is plenty. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2015
    Options

You don't need much......use it sparingly.  I only put my gaskets on the bottom, and use less than an ounce of the 3oz in the tube.

If it oozes out the sides, you used way too much.  Remember, Ultra Copper is a "gasket" in itself, not an adhesive per se.  It doesn't soak into something, then evaporate as it bonds--everything you squirt on there stays.

Just run a thin bead around the outer half of the circumference,  then push the gasket onto it.  It if comes out the sides, wipe it up.  You definitely do not want it coming up through the gasket either.  This is nasty stuff with nasty chemicals--use the minimal amount and keep it isolated.

• WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    Yes just did mine and a tube did my Minimax and my Large with leftovers. 
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks guys/gals, WyBBQer, did you remove your dome when replacing your gasket? I have a pretty significant underbite from my dome to the base so I would really like to fix that however I have heard of people having issues when putting everything back together.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options

You don't need much......use it sparingly.  I only put my gaskets on the bottom, and use less than an ounce of the 3oz in the tube.

If it oozes out the sides, you used way too much.  Remember, Ultra Copper is a "gasket" in itself, not an adhesive per se.  It doesn't soak into something, then evaporate as it bonds--everything you squirt on there stays.

Just run a thin bead around the outer half of the circumference,  then push the gasket onto it.  It if comes out the sides, wipe it up.  You definitely do not want it coming up through the gasket either.  This is nasty stuff with nasty chemicals--use the minimal amount and keep it isolated.

Agree completely. Lots of experience using as an automotive gasket, and it is great. Many, not me, use in their eggs, but please take the appropriate safety precautions. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Just pull the dome.....it takes about 30 seconds.

Zip tie the rear hinge shut with two ties.  Then loosen the bands.  With the cap off reach into the dome with your whole arm and lift it off.  Then pull the hinge band off.  It's that easy.

Then you can flip the dome over and set it in the base to clean off the junk gasket (pull the temp gauge out first.)

Seriously, it's not anywhere near the deal pulling the dome as some people make it out to be.

• stlcharcoal
    Options

BTW, you can also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and get the same good results.  It can be more messy.  Wear gloves and make a cardboard template to catch the overspray when spraying the base.  The just make a long cardboard track and lay the gasket out on it.  Spray it in on long swoop, and then apply once both are slightly tacky.  WEAR GLOVES or you'll regret it!!!

• WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    @stonewh I didn't remove my dome made the cleaning off the older gasket a little harder but still managable.  If I have a underbite I would probably remove dome as stated above, it is easier than it sounds.  Best of luck
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

BTW, you can also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and get the same good results.  It can be more messy.  Wear gloves and make a cardboard template to catch the overspray when spraying the base.  The just make a long cardboard track and lay the gasket out on it.  Spray it in on long swoop, and then apply once both are slightly tacky.  WEAR GLOVES or you'll regret it!!!

Sorry but I really disagree trying to use 3M 77 to attach a Rutland gasket. That spray will not make a sufficient bed in which to properly anchor a Rutland gasket. I've been dealing in these for 13 years now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    RRP said:

Sorry but I really disagree trying to use 3M 77 to attach a Rutland gasket. That spray will not make a sufficient bed in which to properly anchor a Rutland gasket. I've been dealing in these for 13 years now.

Had it on several BGE's for 7-8 yrs without an issue......woven ceramic gaskets and fiberglass ones.  Ultra Copper works great and is easier to install, but some people don't like the chemicals.

I've been dealing in gaskets (and many different adhesives) for a long time too.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options

I'm a mutant or something.   i've NEVER had ANY luck with 3M 77.   It sticks real good to ITSELF but not to anything else.   My stereo speakers, which are made in Minnesota WERE made using 3M77 but no longer.    They were prone to delamination and failure.    The inventor of the speaker WAS a long time 3M employee so that's why 77 was chose.  

It's TOO BAD that the dome or egg itself are NOT grooved for an O-Ring.   some of those materials are VERY heat proof.   Maybe something like EP?
    That's Ethylene-Propylene.   It may not be much good at higher temps, though.

Kalrez is good to OVER 600f, which may be pushing it for how hot the egg seal gets.  

I may have missed some or even one REAL super material.    An 'L' shaped gasket could also work, being held on by the band.  
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    did I get the wrong thing? I got Permatex Ultra Black instead of Copper, it it just a difference in color or do I need to go get the other stuff?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    did I get the wrong thing? I got Permatex Ultra Black instead of Copper, it it just a difference in color or do I need to go get the other stuff?
    The Black only goes to 500 degrees and is meant for maximum oil resistance which is not a BGE issue. The Copper goes to 700.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited March 2015
    Options

Remember, Ultra Copper is a "gasket" in itself, not an adhesive per se.  It doesn't soak into something, then evaporate as it bonds--everything you squirt on there stays.

I used Ultra Copper AS the gasket.  <clonk.  It's held beautifully for two years now, and the thick, springy material acts as a nice shock absorber if I accidently "Flay" the lid.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.