Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bigger loss than OO

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
With his permission I just wanted to let everyone know that this is mickey's last year running the Salado fest. 
Anything knows mickey will quickly let you know he's an unbelievable, shirt off his back guy. 3 years ago he talked me into coming to Salado and it opened a door to his friendship and many more. Hell, he got the last 45 bags of OO. 
It's my understanding that at this time there are no plans for the future as to who will carry the torch. It's the only fest I've been to so I can't compare it to others. While there is a sponsor and demo eggs they definitely take a back seat. It's a party. No competition, no charges...friends, food and fun. Maybe a little alcohol. 
I hope one of the local eggers takes over and keeps it running. I know the fights he goes through to keep it "Salado".

@Mickey‌. ..thank you.

Damn hangover. Forgot to throw roses to Leroy for his part and hard work. Thanks. 
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Tony THANK YOU for all the work over the years. Thank you for the kind words.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited March 2015
    I could only imagine how much work goes into it. Yesterday at Salado was my first Eggfest. I'm really glad I went it was a blast. I meet mickey didn't get a chance to talk to him that much. He was just a little busy. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    No Way, after reading past reviews including this year I told my wife we were going next year. Sorry to hear this!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Sad day indeed. Thanks Micky for spearheading this for 5 glorious years. Happy to say I've been part of the last 3 in some capacity (mostly drinking). Really hope we can keep this afloat without you driving the bus. It won't be easy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Here's hoping that while he may no longer be "The Man" when it comes to all the details and groundwork, he is able to attend and enjoy Salado for years to come. 

Congrats @Mickey , forget the auto industry,  you can now claim you are actually retired. Nicely done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @henapple i have no doubt the things you say about the man is anything less than  110% accurate. His friendly, helpful, knowledgeable personality shines thru the interwebs on a daily basis. Its that type of personality is what makes this forum so remarkable. Wether you need help with a cook or paint question you can always get an honest response with no condescending attitudes. @Mickey is a class act and leads by example. I hope Salado can find someone who gives half the effort. no I've never been but his excitement for this event comes thru with every post about the event. Hopefully he stays with the forum. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Sad day. :cry:  

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited March 2015
    Sorry the hear the bad news.  Salado looks to be one of if not THE best EGGfest around.  Hopefully others can pick up the ball and run with it to keep everything the way it was.  Best wishes. @Mickey    
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Man, while I certainly understand, I'm kicking myself for not coming this year. We kicked it around and didn't commit. I really hope someone can pick up the torch as it was on the definite list next year. 

Thanks @Mickey
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    This was my first Salado fest, and without a doubt @Mickey and team put on a first class bender, err event.

At the airport waiting for my flight to board, really glad I made the trip.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hosting an Eggfest is quite a bit of work, I have said "this is the last one" for the last 5 years myself. This is our 10th this year. Just takes a year to rethink all the frustrations and weigh in the positives. Good luck Mickey with your decision.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Thanks for the job well done!
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Thanks for another great event Mickey! I hope it will continue on and come close to what it has been.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    ShitMan!  And of course we missed it this year :disappointed: Really?!? We had to miss THIS one. Totally bummed. Thanks for bringing me down Tony :cry: 
    I can only hope that HuskerMaMa and Myself can go to the next one and meet all y'all Salado degenerates including The Man The Myth The One And Only MICKEY. :hug: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Bravo @Mickey  I didn't get a chance to attend while you were running the show, and that's something I'll always regret... 

Hope I get to meet you all soon...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

This is sad news. I'm sure you're tired of all the accolades @mickey, but you really make this eggfest happen. Leroy and you do a wonderful job of putting this together, and your personality shows in this fest... its free for everyone to come and enjoy, family friendly (until about 7pm... or whenever @henapple shows up ), and just about as good a time as can be had with your clothes on.

But we're planning on being there to party with you next year, so rest up.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Bummer! My wife heard me talking excitedly about it and told me I have to go. I hope it continues next year, I'd love to meet all of you. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    As stated above, running these things is work especially at the level of fest Mickey hosted. Bravo! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Mickey
    Brother I would like to say again that I'm sorry I couldn't make it. There really was nothing that I could do. Was really looking forward to it. Also sorry to hear that you won't be running it anymore. You have been a inspiration to us all. I wish you the very best with your future plans and thank you for all that you have done for all things egg related. You have and always will be "The Man" on this forum. God bless you brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Only right that this announcement happened on the Ides of March.  "You know when it's time" and Mickey is doing it right-step away at the top of your game and reflect on what you have achieved.  Not much I can add to the above but know that you have broadened the eggsperience for many.  While Salado is top dead-center Mickey will also be forever known for the turbo cook technique.  As mentioned, time to enjoy true retirement.  Every day is Saturday!  You have earned it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Sorry I missed this year...thanks for last year :)   So much fun is had there...thank you again for all you do Mickey
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

My thought exactly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Your scare tactics ain't going to work on us Tony.  We all know you're just trying to drum up business for your little hoe down in the Boro this June.  (ever held a torch before?)   ;)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey told me this the past weekend.  I think it's bittersweet, but having organized things before, it is a move to having much less stress in your life. Happy retirement @mickey and less work is a good thing. 

Salado eggfest, and I hear it will continue, will be less without you keeping it in the forum and word of mouth. 
    I'm figuring around January we can start a comeback campaign. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited March 2015
    @Mickey, we really appreciate all you have done.  @20stonespice and I have only been coming for two years, but we know what kind of work it takes to make it go, and really appreciate your warmth and generosity that makes it go with the friendly atmosphere.

So, are you cooking next year?

PS - When is Seaside Eggfest?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • henapple said:
    I'm figuring around January we can start a comeback campaign. 
    It's like the superbowl winning coach who goes out on top but in the middle of the cold winter starts to slowly realize he's still got the fire that he can't put out. "one more year"!

Let's let this simmer and see if we can't get The Godfather some help to lighten the load to make it worth his while to stay on for a while longer. 

Janell and I are in for that for sure. We can do 80%, Mickey can be the Mayor Emeritus of Salado Eggfest and everybody wins.

Mayor Emeritus = shaking hands, eating food, drinking beer, and doing keg stands at the after party

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2015
    20stone said:
    @Mickey, we really appreciate all you have done.  @20stonespice and I have only been coming for two years, but we know what kind of work it takes to make it go, and really appreciate your warmth and generosity that makes it go with the friendly atmosphere.

So, are you cooking next year?

PS - When is Seaside Eggfest?
    With any luck the first of next week in Seaside. Have a house also set for July 4th. Love that place. Will come out of Fest Retirement to do the Seaside Fest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Mickey said:
    Will come out of Fest Retirement to do the Seaside Fest.
    Tell us where and when, but this time, let us help a little
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX