Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show off cooking for 20

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are having our first party since becoming eggers. What is a good cook that I can do for about 20 people that will show off the egg and be manageable? Normally I'd do steaks but I can't do that many at once on a LBGE. Ribs are too messy. I've never done pulled pork, is it something I could get right the first time? Party is weekend after next and I'm not sure I want to experiment with something new the day of the party.

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    edbro,
    You could try a whole Turkey, I find that it has a great visual impact when you open the Egg when you are ready to serve the food.
    While the turkey is resting you could cook some salmon fillets, direct heat for about 8/9 minutes. I get these from my fish monger, with the pin bones removed and the skin left on. I then cook them skin side down first. When they are turned the skin peals off and you can lift off the fillets when they are cooked, and serve them immediately. These come out beautifully moist, and the two dishes together give a good choice for the guests.
    Roger

• edbro
    Options
    irishrog,
    Yes, turkey is a good idea. I've cooked them before with success. Thanks.[p]I will consider that but I'm looking for something that will be appropriate and easy to serve in a backyard setting. We are having a BBQ island and patio built. Should be done by Wed and we want to christen it with a party.

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    edbro,
    I would do a couple of butts this weekend and foodsaver/freeze them. Then I would do some ABT's the day of the party, and maybe some stuffed mushroom caps or other finger food. Also some wings. The sky is the limit, but you can prepare a mess of pulled pork ahead of time and show off the low and slow talents of the egg with the taste, while demonstrating the versatility of the egg to do other things too. Your other option would be to finish the butts earlier that day and have them resting when the guests get there, have them pull it with you, while the other stuff is on the egg. You will sell a few eggs that way for sure! Hope this helps. Good luck with the new patio, and have a great time at the party.
    Seth

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    edbro,
    Pork loins are always a hit at a party.
    Larry

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    2racks.jpg
    <p />edbro,
    If you have mastered stablizing your Egg at 250. Pulled pork would be the way to go. Season it the way you like.
    Put it on Friday night. I think thats a good way to go. Or get you a lot of chicken wings and get one or two of these wing racks. They hold 14 wings each and you can fit two of them on the Large Egg. In fact, the wings might be easier. And I'm sure the wing rack would be pretty impressive to look at. Heck, just do both. Do the pork overnight and do the chicken while the guest are there to watch you work your Egg. With that wing rack all you do is get your Egg up to 350 put the wings on for about 45 minutes and you are done. No need to turn or flip. Got the racks at Cabela's. Make a few ABT's and you probably won't be able to get rid of your guest.
    Good Luck and Happy Cookin'

• edbro
    Options
    jake42,
    Yeah, I might try a pulled pork this week. Party isn't until the weekend after next. Stablilizing at 250 won't be a problem once my new gasket gets here ;). I know how to control temps fairly well now. But, preserving gaskets is a skill I haven't quite mastered yet![p]That quip about the guests not wanting to leave left me not sure I want to do too well here.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    edbro,[p]Smoke some fatties. Maybe Italian, stuffed with peppers, onions & cheese.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Fatties[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    edbro,[p]How about flank steak fajitas?[p]E

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    edbro,
    i would do the pulled pork this weekend also. its hard to beat and relatively cheap. appetizers during the party. definatly some abt's, we always have seafood so maybe some bacon wrapped or proscuito wrapped scalops and some skewered tuna chunks with pinneapple and a sweet glaze.varsity chili dogs are also a favorite and the sauce can be made ahead of time. the last big cook i did was the easiest of all, pulled pork and brisket was all done before the party, seafood on ice next to a small fryer at the outside bar. i let the guests cook there own seafood shrimps,scollops,and lobster with 3 kinds of dip around the fryer. all that was left for me was to drink eat and be happy.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • edbro
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Yes, I think that's what I'm gonna do. I just got through reading over Elder Ward's method. Looks do-able. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

• edbro
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Oops, one last thing I forgot to ask. For pulled pork (not sandwiches), how much per person?

• fishlessman
    Options
    edbro,
    i think its 2.4 servings per pound but cant remember if that is per pound uncooked. i would probably cook 2 or 3 8 pounders and freeze the rest for other things like when making those abt's. one thing with elderwards method if its your first time with these things, keep the dome temp between 250 to 275 (not any lower) and check on things every 3 hours thru the night. less problems this way

fukahwee maine

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    edbro,[p]I think you get 45% yield after cooking.[p]8 pounds raw = 3.6 pounds cooked[p]E
  • edbro
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    So, about a pound (raw) per person?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    edbro,[p]I am wrong.[p]I looked in my notes. You should get 55% yield. Not 45%.[p]8 lbs raw = 4.4 lbs cooked.
    16 ounces raw = 8.8 oz cooked.[p]You will get 2.2 sanwiches per raw pound. You should figure a 4 oz portion per sandwich. You also have to realize the bbq sauce adds to the overall weight of your portion. So you will probably get 2.5 sandwiches per raw pound.[p]Sorry for the confusion, but when you said 1 pound per person that struck me as really high. So, I looked in my notes, and I was wrong.[p]E

• fishlessman
    Options
    edbro,
    here is a calculation posted by wiseone based on males and females that should help
    Re: How much Boston Butt do I need?[p]

[p][ Follow Ups ] [ Club Egg - BGE Forum ] [ FAQ ][p]
    [p]Posted by Wise One on May 22, 2002 at 09:25:10:[p]In Reply to: How much Boston Butt do I need? posted by Byrdo on May 22, 2002 at 07:24:09:[p]Byrdo, Here's something someone gave me some time ago:
    HOW MUCH MEAT?
    For pulled pork, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat. For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 sandwiches per person. For women and children, plan on one sandwich per person. The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. So, to get 6 pounds of cooked pork (24 sandwiches) you would need to start with 10 pounds of butt (2.4 servings per LB of uncooked meat). So a simple little formula is all you need:
    Number of men (men or large eaters)= M
    Number of women and children (lighter eaters)= W
    Pounds of Butt to buy = B
    B=(2M+W)/2.4
    So if there 5 men and 5 women,
    B=(2*5+5)/2.4 =15/2.4 = 6.25 Pounds[p][p]
    fukahwee maine

• edbro
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Okay, thanks. I am not serving on sandwiches so that is why I was thinking of 1/2 lb (cooked) per person. I figure that was on the high side but I look forward to packing my lunch all the following week with leftovers.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    edbro,
    You can't go wrong with beef. Try a whole tenderloin sliced thin on hot rolls. Roast 3 or 4 tri-tips sliced thin for sandwiches. It a big hit on the west coast. Do abts stuffed with creme cheese and PP wraped in bacon for your apts. LOL, Tom

• edbro
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Well, that about says it all! Thanks.

• Roadkill
    Roadkill Posts: 29
    Options
    edbro,I'm a big fan of the Q-Babe's Coffee Encrusted Pork Loin - doesn't take long to cook (1-1/2 hr or so). Follow her recepie and for the sauce as well.

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    edbro,
    coincidently, I just replaced the gasket on my Large last week. Got a piece of advice from someone one the forum (really sorry I don't recall who because would like to give them their props) When replacing the gasket make sure that you don't have much of it hanging towards the inside of the Egg exposing it to too much heat. Makes sense, time will tell.
    Hope this works for you.