Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    BGE has it's place for the smoke flavor. Rockwood is more neutral.  I like both. 

I just placed my first Firecraft order to Rockwood. Ace in metro ATL is $27 plus per bag. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    BGE has it's place for the smoke flavor. Rockwood is more neutral.  I like both. 

I just placed my first Firecraft order to Rockwood. Ace in metro ATL is $27 plus per bag. 
    Just paid 22.99 a bag at East Cobb ACE. I bought them out....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow! I just priced Rockwood at Firecraft. Didn't realize it was that expensive. AND you have to buy $100 worth or it's even more expensive! Good thing I'm happy with the more affordable RO. Locally available and no $100 minimum. Rockwood is apparently good stuff, but i just think that's too much to pay for charcoal. 

If I wanted to go top tier, I could head about 35 miles up the road To the Wicked Good distribution center. About $13-14 per 22 lb bag. But you do have to buy a bunch. RO for me I guess. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Wow! I just priced Rockwood at Firecraft. Didn't realize it was that expensive. AND you have to buy $100 worth or it's even more expensive! Good thing I'm happy with the more affordable RO. Locally available and no $100 minimum. Rockwood is apparently good stuff, but i just think that's too much to pay for charcoal. 

If I wanted to go top tier, I could head about 35 miles up the road To the Wicked Good distribution center. About $13-14 per 22 lb bag. But you do have to buy a bunch. RO for me I guess. 

I think you would be very pleased with the price you would find here in St. Louis.  Shipping the pallets 900 miles to Philly, then shipping 4-5 bags for "free", adds in to that per bag price quickly.  I can't believe what people pay for charcoal on the coastline, but I'm sure they don't believe what we pay for seafood or certain fruits here in the Midwest.  LOL 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

I compare it to buying a Ferrari and putting regular unleaded in it. I'd think most folks here would gladly drive 35 miles to get premium lump at those prices. 

You don't have to buy $100 worth of Rockwood just a $100 order to get free shipping. Get some other stuff....
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:  I can't believe what people pay for charcoal on the coastline, but I'm sure they don't believe what we pay for seafood or certain fruits here in the Midwest.  LOL 
    Exactly! I may be paying 20+ dollars for a bag of rockwood to get shipped to my door in MA, but when I slap a 2+ pound lobster on the egg that I grabbed down at the docks for $10 I consider it a wash. A delicious, delicious wash. 
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    Where are you located? 

Warner Robins, GA
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    FWIW, I try to pay .90/LB to 1.20/LB   When I can get it and what my opinion of the brand is.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • LadyGT
    Options
    After reading the different brands, I am more confused.  Isn't lump charcoal all the same? What's so different from brand to brand? Why can't you use the common briquettes?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Carolina Q I'm trying to figure out why you egg sir.  I have yet to read one thing you like.

Is there anything you like about grilling/smoking/egging?  Maybe I have just missed your positive comments.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    After reading the different brands, I am more confused.  Isn't lump charcoal all the same? What's so different from brand to brand? Why can't you use the common briquettes?
    You can use common briquettes (not match light) but they have a lot of filler which turns to ash and will clog all your air holes.  They are generally advised against and frowned on.

The other lumps vary in quality, smoke flavor, and availability.  Find one you like and works for you.  Egg on and enjoy.  When the mood strikes try something different.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ^^^ solid unbiased advice. 
    (biased advice is to go to Rutland ACE hardware and pick up a bag of Rockwood)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    In addition to what Ozzie said, the fillers in the briquettes absorb moisture and make the partially used charcoal harder to light and less effective. 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I've used Frontier from Sam's several times. Worked fine for me. Although, I don't really know the differences. I've been using Rockwood on low and slows and Frontier on everything else. Why is everyone saying stay away from Cowboy?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I'm a rockwood guy but just received 5 bags of hasty bake today  to try. Heard it's just like ozark oak we will see
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited March 2015
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    I've used Frontier from Sam's several times. Worked fine for me. Although, I don't really know the differences. I've been using Rockwood on low and slows and Frontier on everything else. Why is everyone saying stay away from Cowboy?
    Personally I have never used Cowboy, but for years it has been berated because it used to be made from scraps from furniture, mill work, and other wood product manufacturers. There were stories right or wrong of foreign objects found in bags over the years. The one thing it was made from kiln dried wood and that means it was thoroughly dried before hitting the charcoal kilns. That probably accounts for the reputation of it being fast burning. BTW some diehard Cowboy Lump fans swear by it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I generally use Royal Oak (from Walmart or Home Depot) and have been satisfied with it, but recently tried Fogo, purchased through Amazon.  Really like Fogo.  Starts quickly, burns off volatile organic compounds quickly, has large lumps, and burns a long time. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • LadyGT
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation.  When we bought the egg in November, we just followed the crowd and purchased the BGE lump charcoal, but now we are getting low and looking for other alternatives.  It's nice to know we are not limited to BGE products because it's EXPENSIVE. lol.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    Thank you for the explanation.  When we bought the egg in November, we just followed the crowd and purchased the BGE lump charcoal, but now we are getting low and looking for other alternatives.  It's nice to know we are not limited to BGE products because it's EXPENSIVE. lol.
    @LadyGT BGE lump is packaged by Royal Oak. Same exact lump as Royal Oak but you're paying extra for the bag to say BGE. Your local Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Restaurant Depot, etc. will probably carry Royal Oak lump.   
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    Where are you located? 

Warner Robins, GA

I used to go to Perry GA from 1985 - 2000...my grandpa owned a motel and Italian restaurant on the corner of I75 there

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hear buffalo chips burn hot and clean...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DMW  No Chit...you don't say

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Any word on Lazzari?   It is Mexican Mesquite.    Costco has it in 40lb bags for a REAL good $$$.  I'm torn, since I really like the result from BGE or RO lump.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Begger said:
    Any word on Lazzari?   It is Mexican Mesquite.    Costco has it in 40lb bags for a REAL good $$$.  I'm torn, since I really like the result from BGE or RO lump.

Mesquite tends to be very strong.  I only use it for open top grilling.

Not sure how it is in lump form, but I imagine it is not neutral.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm a newbie, and have only used my first bag of BGE, then I started buying Frontier from Sam's for $10 for 20lbs.  I like it better than the BGE, it has a less smokey flavor.  I picked up a back of Rockwood over the weekend, based on all the recommendations here.  I'll try it this weekend.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    LadyGT said:

Not all brands are the same. Some good brands have been recommended already. The differences arise from what wood is used to make the lump and how it is burned to make lump charcoal. The good brands of lump will have pieces that are well carbonized, without any "woody" pieces. E.g. Stubbs lump that Costco was selling was quite smoky IMO. The pieces were not fully carbonized and that was probably why it was that smoky. Cowboy used to use mill scraps, but apparently that may have changed in the last couple of years.

Discussing lump on the forum is like discussing politics or religion :) I agree with the suggestion to try different brands and see what you like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Moosebranch
    Options
    ROCKWOOD! Best Ive used so far.
    I haven't been too thrill about my last 2 bags of royal oak. Bought from Home Depot. Not very many good sized pieces, too much dust, and a bunch of random foreign objects. Metal straps, rocks, and things that appear to be pieces of meteor lol.....long story short, I'll pay the extra for quality Rockwood Lump. I get mine from Ace off Howell Mill Rd in Atlanta.
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just got my order of Hasty Bake from Amazon, 50 lbs. for $56, Prime no shipping.  I'm stuck and can't get RW in CA and this seems to be the best deal and rated high at NakedWiz.  I'm new but this stuff seams to be working for me.  Used one free bag of BGE I got with the Egg, but this is a lot cheaper.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Uses my first bag of OO today, wow beautiful start up time and worked out great. Have 3 OO and 2 Rockwood to work through,1 wgww. I think I'm done with the cheap RO going forward.
    Seattle, WA