Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Shawarma

Options
One of my favourite dishes is shawarma.  I have been making it for just over a year and prefer it over take out brands.  I have fussed with the recipe enough to enjoy what I make.  Today I did this cook on my ceramic.  It turned out really good.  Butterflied the chicken and marinated for 24 hours.  The secret to good shawarma is a double cook.  So I grilled the chicken that pan fried it on the Q with some oil once I diced it up.  Thanks for looking.

started with the seasoning for the marinade and added some oil.  Left it for 24 hours

made my white sauce yesterday as well to allow for all the flavours to meld together.

Comments

• bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
    onto the chicken cook today

ready to go onto the grill

• bosco0633
    edited March 2015
    Options
    made some rice, pita and white sauce!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Look incredible, recipe Please!
    canuckland
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Chicken Marinade

4 large chicken breasts
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp allspice
    3/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    Pinch of cayenne
    Salt and black pepper

I butterfly the chicken and leave it in fridge over night.  12 to 24 hours

White Sauce Recipe

1 ½ cups of plain Greek yogurt
    ½ cups of mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    2 tablespoons of white vinegar
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
    4-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    Kosher salt and pepper to taste (about ¼ tsp of salt and ¼ - ½ tsp of pepper)

** prepare this white sauce the night before to let the flavour meld **

Rice

2 cups of basmati rice
    3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
    2 tbsp of butter
    ½ tsp turmeric
    ¼ tsp cumin
    Kosher salt and pepper
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome- thanks for sharing!  I'll be honest I have never heard of this but it looks and sounds great all around. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    YUM LOOKS GREAT . . I love shawarma too!  Never knew about the "double cook" and I am curious what internal temp did you pull the breast at before you pan fry?

Also, could you share your "white sauce" recipe?

Bravo!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    NDG said:
    YUM LOOKS GREAT . . I love shawarma too!  Never knew about the "double cook" and I am curious what internal temp did you pull the breast at before you pan fry?

Also, could you share your "white sauce" recipe?

Bravo!

NDG I just posted above for the white sauce recipe.

For the chicken I cooked it to an IT of 155-160.  Brought it in and diced it up.  A few of my closest friends said the family secret is a double cook of the meat.  I fry with some olive oil and over medium heat.  It gets the seasoning all over the place and adds a different texture to the cook!!!  

Trust me it is the bomb!!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, bookmarked and printed. 
    canuckland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    bosco0633  thanks so much for an awesome bookmark.  My wife and I fell in love with a Lebanese Restaurant near our house here in Columbus, OH called MAZAH.  We get chicken shawarma most of the time.  Never thought to try it myself, but very excited now - thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    you will love it!!  there are two versions of white sauce.  The one uses tahini paste and I am not a very big fan of it.  So I avoid it.  I use the more popular style in north america using greek yogurt and mayo.  It is way better in my opinion.  My white sauce will be a bit thick, I usually add a 1/4 cup of water to the blender at the end to mix it all up and it pours easier
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Slated for Saturday; thanks!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Outstanding!! Looks like really good!

And thank you for the recipes. Bookmarked!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I gotta admit I've never heard of this dish and I don't think I've had Lebanese food.  Not a lot of variety here in the carpet capital.  Apparently a shrt drive down I75 I can get the experience, but I'm gonna make this at home!  Thanks. 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    give it a go.  it is very delicious, filled with crazy flavour
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Coming soon to my home. Thanks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
     Awesome.  Bookmarked.  Just went to a Lebanese restaurant last night.  Sooo good.  I can't wait to make this on the egg!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow!!  Shwarma is one of my favorite foods.  We can't get good stuff where I live, so I definitely always grab some when I head to the big city.  In fact, I'll be having some there this weekend.  But I can't wait to try this at home.  Did you marinate and grill the chicken with the skin on?  Looks like it in the pictures above, but not sure.  Also, give a bit of cinnamon at try in the rice.  The place I go to does that, and it's pretty delicious.  Thanks for posting this.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cooking swarma this weekend.  Thanks for the recipe!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Awesome- thanks for sharing!  I'll be honest I have never heard of this but it looks and sounds great all around. 
    Me either. Guess I'm a redneck. Looks very tasty though. 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Those are boneless skinless chicken breasts 
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks bosco0633, I made it yesterday, turned out really good.

I first rubbed the chicken with oil, then sprinkled rub evenly both sides:

first batch was too chunky, next batch chopped smaller and picked up more oil and rub when stir fried

served with homemade naan, grilled direct in XL:

Next time I plan to cook extra for freezing.
    canuckland
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Once you fry it when cut you can do a final chop of the meat to make it smaller.  

I throw everything I the bag and marinate it.  If you wantore sessoning you can add some to the skillet at the end.  The sessoning is very powerful so I find this is a less is more type spice.  I did a batch for work with 10lbs of chicken for the guys.  They went crazy.  

Did you try the white sauce??
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Thank you for the great pictures.   What is your favorite recipe for the homemade Naan ?
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @bosco0633 thanks for sharing. This is on my must do soon list. I don't think it will be soon enough as I hear all the rave reviews. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. Will be doing soon. I think Cali's Kothi rolls are next up. Those were amazing and looked really fun to make. Plus I get to buy one of those badass giant steel pans he had 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Oh my goodness does this look good. Shawarma is one of my facorites but it can be so hit or miss in the states I rarely get it. Very solid looking recipe. Bookmarked and on the menu for this week!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @bosco0633, chopping small before frying will pick up more oil and spices! thanks again for sharing.
    @sweet100s, I think this is the one swmbo used, you can also google for different variations. Onion seeds optional, ghee can be substituted with butter.
    http://indianfood.about.com/od/breadrecipes/r/naan.htm
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Swarma and Naan "pizza" pretty good on day 2!

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    Just made this with some boneless skinless thighs- excellent! Thanks for sharing
    Austin, TX
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks to @bosco0633 can't get enough of this.
    Deboned a bunch of leg quarters, made a nice soup with the bones.

Didn't have Greek yogurt, instead thickened regular yogurt with coffee filter for the amazing white sauce.

juicier than breast:

canuckland