Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plans for XL table

Options
What is the best (free) tool to design a table?

Secondary question: Is there a better tool i.e. program to design a table that is worth paying for?

Any and all input is appreciated. Looking to build my own (no time crunch) with modest skills (but with very handy friends). 

Thanks.
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The BEST free tool, IMO is Google Sketchup.

Here is a rendering of a table I designed but have YET to build.    If you get Sketchup I'll send you the entire file which will allow you to do a complete walk-around of the 'object' from any angle.  

Some of the CAD programs can get Very $$$$ and have a steep learning curve.

Sketchup is fairly easy for carpentry projects and home  design stuff.   Give yourself some time to get used to it.

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Love the yet. I have a garage and basement full of yets
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    +1 on sketch up. +2 on taking some time to learn. Not as intuitive as some other google products. 
  • Begger
    Options
    Urban,
    'yet' has gotta do for now.   I have NO table saw or even a chop saw.  I have a skill saw that is older than YOU.  or ME for that matter.  It's a 6" saw!   Garage has just become a priority which will clear the space for a table build.   I also JUST bought my XL and completed my first long cook about 45" ago.  
    And I insisted on using Sketchup so I could basically pre-cut the frame and turn it into a 'kit'.  
    I WISH I had a basement.   I think they're against the law in California.  ?????

I"ll get there!   And take a few snaps along the way.
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options
    Thanks, fellas. Will definitely give it a try. Hopefully I'll at least be able to add a new "yet" as well.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here is a pic of the table I made.  I have not seen another with the second bottom shelf.  I wanted the additional storage, and am glad I have it, it is fully used.  I can send you drawings with all the dimensions if you are interested.  I just did mine in a desktop publishing program, so not nearly as sexy as the stuff done in sketchup (not sure it was even available when I did this a couple of years ago)

As for tools, I have a 1959 Dewalt radial saw.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I don't have a second shelf, I have a drawer. It's where my PS and fire bricks and drip pan live. 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Doesn't everything fall out :lol: 
    Actually that's a really nice table @theyolksonyou.  You have more patience, and are more of a craftsman than I am! 
    Rochester, NY
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Cookinbob stuff only falls out when you turn it over. And I have a talented dad. 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I don't know if your view is the same as mine, but the pic is upside down on my desktop screen!  Maybe right side up on a phone other device
    Rochester, NY
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Ahhh! That was during my antigravity phase. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't have a second shelf, I have a drawer. It's where my PS and fire bricks and drip pan live. 
    Now I like the drawer idea.  I am now back to thinking of building an outdoor kitchen with concrete blocks.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I agree that Google Sketchup is worth giving a go. If one has never used any sort of CAD program before there will be a bit of a learning curve but there are lots of tutorials/books available to help one get up to speed.

An excellent free 2D CAD program for Windows/Mac/Linux is DraftSight - http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

Don't let a lack of a shop full of tools stop you from building a table.

The vast majority of table designs I've seen are just using dimensional lumber so for the most part you are just cutting various stock sized pieces to length. One could easily build a table with just a handsaw as your only cutting tool. If your design incorporates any sheet goods (plywood) most stores will cut them to size for you for free or a small charge.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Just brought home my stainless steel table for my XL,  just waiting for the reinforcements for help. Pics soon to come.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Just brought home my stainless steel table for my XL,  just waiting for the reinforcements for help. Pics soon to come.
    looking forward to it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Personally, if this is your only project in the foreseeable future, I'd skip sketchup.  While it's not a bad program, you can probably think through your design on paper a lot quicker than trying to learn a somewhat frustrating program.  If you're interested in it, then go for it.  Just don't expect to come out ahead on time is all.  Good luck with your project, and have fun.

I say this as someone who has done cad since 95, and an avid woodworker.
    Phoenix 
  • Begger
    Options
    That's true.  The learning curve for a SINGLE project will be somewhat daunting.
    I've got a sketchup model of my house interior / floor plan which has come in handy for arranging the stereo and sound panels.   I've got drawings for modificiatons to my speakers.
    And, of course, my Egg Table.  And NOW that I actually HAVE an egg, that can move forward.  

One advantage of a good drawing is the SHOPPING LIST you can generate.  I know my cut list, how much of WHAT I need and can even see the order of assembly to put it together.  
    For ME, this helps a lot and keeps me from going down dead end streets.   The time I spent doing the drawing is made up on the OTHER end.   Plus, I can go thru several itterations without wasting so much as a tooth picks' worth of wood.   
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Begger, a good chalk line, tape measure and your 6" circular saw should be able to do every cut on that except for the circle, and the 90 degree corner cuts where you have your tile and legs.  A small inexpensive hand coping saw could handle the 90 degree cuts.  You'd need a jigsaw for the circle.
    XL Owner
  • Begger
    Options
    ElCapitan said:
    Begger, a good chalk line, tape measure and your 6" circular saw should be able to do every cut on that except for the circle, and the 90 degree corner cuts where you have your tile and legs.  A small inexpensive hand coping saw could handle the 90 degree cuts.  You'd need a jigsaw for the circle.
     :) I'll admit to being about 1/2 gene away from nuts.   I'm VERY anal about measures, precision and repeatability of cuts.   I'll build a JIG for the long cuts so EACH piece is the SAME length.   I think the neighbor has a chop saw, which if it makes a perfect 90 cut I'll borrow and use THAT.   

The bench in my garage was made without benefit of plans and was ALL improv.   It kept getting more wacky as I progressed.   I even used a template for the screw patterns so EACH same joinery was screwed together in the SAME pattern exactly.  The top is 1" MDF (the REALLY dense stuff out of sawdust) and glued / countersunk / plugged to the frame.  It ain't goin' nowhere!

A close up of a cutting board I made as an experiment.    Cutting limits hurt the final product, but I was dealing with F2S and had to rip to even width.
    The board is END GRAIN MAPLE and over 1" thick.   This stretched my wood skill to the breaking point, though I'd do better next time……I know what I did wrong.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Begger, I think you are selling yourself short on your woodworking skills.  That cutting board is pretty good, and at least you knew enough to make it end grain. 

Phoenix 
  • Begger
    Options
     :) Thank you SO MUCH, Blasting:
    The board has flaws which are obvious to me, not the least of which is that it is NOT perfectly square.  I have 4 pieces of Sapelle cut for a frame but can't use 'em since the board ISN'T square.  
    I need to route recesses in the base for 'finger grips', too.  Maybe add some rubber snubbers as 'standoffs'.  

This is the HARDEST wood I've ever messed with.  By FAR.  You can't leave a mark in with your finger nail, even the edge.   Our knives are 440A stainless, which while not the best metal for knives, makes a good edge which is very stain resistant.  The wife is scared to 'wreck' it but I've told her to go full-speed as I can sand out most anything she can DO to it.  

I sanded it with from 60/80 with a flat block all the way to 320 with a Porter Cable random orbit sander.  That took HOURS.