Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump from Wicked Good!

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
I just got a bag of Wicked Good Jake's Blend yesterday and quickly did a full clean out of my large. That done, I spatchecocked and nice little Bell and Evans and prepared it for the Egg.

'Sounds' like my old Competition Blend - it has that nice "clink" sound.

Lots of 4" and 5" pieces and the rest were in the 2" and 3" range. Not a lot of dust or chips as far as I could tell.

Took a little effort to light and reacted the same way the old CB did when attacked with a MAPP torch.

Took quite a bit longer to ramp up to temperature than the Weekend Warrior . . . kind of like the CB used to.

Nice light aroma and very little smoke flavor imparted to the chicken so, the chicken got rave reviews from my wife (who doesn't like smoke flavor on anything except pig products) and our guests.

I think our old friends at Wicked Good have found a great combination for us this time!! I want to do a small butt this weekend to see how the burn time compares to the CB. I'll bet it's nearly the same.

Oh, the stuff ships in a WHITE bag! How's that for big'uns?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Thanks for the head's up-I will check with my local distributor of WGWW and see when he can get it (may be there now!).  Never had the opportunity to try the CB but will definitely give this a go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    That is good to hear. Always liked WW and if this is close to the CB then we are back to CB.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    CB?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2014
    Competition Blend, I think.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Lol, I should have figured that since he said it early in the post.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Sundown
    Competition Blend was our go to for all cooks. Some people complained it "took too long to light and ramp up" but, we all mourned the loss when they couldn't get the mixture any more.

I really feel this is going to be the replacement for CB
  • It must be just hitting the shelves. It's not even listed on their website yet.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Is this the stuff from Brazil? Sells for $24 in the PNW.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I just got a bag of this for next weekend, excited to give it a whirl for a L&S pulled pork cook.  Paid $24 for 22lbs of it.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    My dealer just got some as well. He's asking $27. Which I guess is a good deal seeing as how he got the ozark oak I've been asking for as well---and wants $19 for it.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • $24ish up here too, it's a good product - a little hard to light, but I like how long it burns. 
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    I have 2 bags of the white that I haven't opened yet, now I'm anxious
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I'm thinking a pallet might be in order.
  • Highly recommend Rockwood.   #1 rated by customers on Naked Whiz.  My last 2 bags of Wicked Good were a bunch of crumbs.  Rockwood consistently has nice large pieces at the bottom of the bag.  So not much waste.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    My last few WG bags have been solid, very pleased with it.
    Seattle, WA
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Same here Skinny, I consistently buy WG and am always pleased. In fact, my daughter and I made the 30 minute drive last weekend to pick up a few bags. 
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    My dealer switched to Jake's Blend last year and that's what I've been using since. It's good stuff.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    The only WG I can get my hands on is WW. Great lump though. Going back and forth between WW and Rockwood. How does it compare to the WW blend @Sundown?
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Sundown
    It not fair to compare WW with Jake's blend. Two different blends.

WW is a little 'softer' for easier lighting still not a lot of ash though.

Jake's is harder, like the old Competition Blend. It 'clinks' when you handle it and it's hard to light unless you have mastered CB.

For the uninitiated, lighting Jake's might be easier if you snag a couple of pieces  of WW to light first then tent some of JB over it. Or use a sawdust/paraffin square. I find trying to light the JB with my MAPP torch not so good. Sparky as hell, like the old CB.

It doesn't spark if you don't blast flame into it.

I think it's pretty trick being shipped in a white bag!
  • Aquaticdoc
    Aquaticdoc Posts: 17
    I bought 2 bags of Wicked Good Lump from my local BGE store about a month ago, in the new white bags. Prior experience had been satisfactory, with big chunks, long burn times, and normal flavor. The most recent had tiny pieces, lots of dust, and consequently very, very slow ignition times---like an hour to reach 450° even with my Pit Viper on full blow. Cleaned everything out, reloaded (again tiny pieces) and same prolonged ignition times, returned the second bag and the store owner refunded my purchase, so I've switched back to BGE charcoal. Not as big as the prior brown bag Wicked Good but way better than the white bag stuff.