Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax on the beach in Mexico

Hey guys (and gals).  One of the reasons I was so excited about the MM is that it could be taken with us on trips to Mexico.  Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point).  It worked out awesome. It's a little heavy to transport and there were concerns of the ceramic elements (firebox, platesetter, pizza stones, etc. incurring damage from vibrations but this was neutralized by using some cardboard rings and spacers.  The shrimp you get down there for $10 a pound are U 10 and they are awesome.  I didn't take pictures of the other stuff we cooked but suffice it to say that the MiniMax is definitely a must have on a trip like this. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Well done thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I. Hate. You. ;)

Come along on our next trip.  it's 4 hr drive from PHX to RP, you must have a passport and you will have an awesome time!  That is, if you like to drink beer, eat fresh fish tacos on the beach and you like to relax.  ;)
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    No issues with Federales or Banditos?    
    sometimes its hard to tell 'em apart.

Excellent looking cook.   Makes me hungry!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    We took the parents, in laws and kids to Rivera Maya last summer for a duel 50yr anniversary trip last summer.  Loved it! Our second trip to Mexico, both on the gulf side. If we drove, it'd be a day+ in the car. Actually, @Grillmagic performed at our resort and we got to see him. Unfortunately, that was pre egg for me so we didn't have a connection. That would have been cool. 

Anyway, it's great you can make that trip so easily.  Way jelly. 
  • westernbbq
    Begger said:
    No issues with Federales or Banditos?    
    sometimes its hard to tell 'em apart.

Excellent looking cook.   Makes me hungry!

Nah, Rocky Point isn't a drug shipping lane.  There have been a few isolated incidents but I am not worried about going there.  My biggest concern when i go is not the Mexican Banditos or the Federales but the Americanos who think they have a license to be idiots once they cross the border.  I guess that's what you get when you mix alcohol with immaturity and I've witnessed a LOT of that on my trips down.

Security is ramping up now anyway due to the cruise ship port under construction.  I never thought it would happen there but it is going on.  I did get 'wrecked' at the reef last week though!  Too many cervezas!  This is Arizona's beach.  Ungodly hot and humid in August and September.  October through mid July are beautiful though.  Very low-cost trip and renting a beach house there beats the crazy California costs.  Clean beaches, salt air and cold beer go really well with the MiniMax's shrimp cooking capabilities!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :bow: :bow: :bow: :triumph: Awesome!!!  Going to the beach tomorrow. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is one of my favorite posts in a long while.  Speechless. Well done @westernbbq !
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Awesome!!!

You had me at "beach"!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Post card perfect.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Easy time seeing that serial number.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • orelay.....Puerto Penasco is awesome
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Very nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Ok how did you get that setup or have the beaches setup grill stations?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    That looks so good. Shrimp haven't tried that yet.  Nice view
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Have always wanted to go there, we would go to San Felipe just across the gulf from Puerto Penasco when we lived in SD.

Great post, really brought me back.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I was wondering this as well.  Is that a grill table they have set up on the beach?  It looks like the MM might be sitting inside and old rusted out grill. 

This is unbelievably awesome by the way.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• westernbbq
    YEMTrey said:
    This is one of my favorite posts in a long while.  Speechless. Well done @westernbbq !

thanks YEM!  I wish everyone on this forum would have a BGE reunion down there sometime.  I go to RP at least once a year, and sometimes 3-4 times per year.  There's a Sam's club, and the fish market and plenty of places to get ice cold beer so there's not much missing.  Except for aqua socks (necessary due to rough reef at low tide), I didn't wear shoes for three days.  My kids rescued a pretty good-sized octopus, we saw a sea lion, and there are so many fish down there it's incredible.  We usually see dolphins but not on this trip.  One of my son's buddies got a jellyfish sting but he was picking the thing up out of the water!  oh well, live and learn,

I wanted to have a pizza party on the beach but it didn't happen this trip.  I was pretty bummed about that but we ran out of time as we spent a day at the estuary drinking beer, kayaking and eating fresh raw oysters for $6 a dozen.  Incredible

• westernbbq

there was an outdoor kitchen right on the sand.  the insert had a rusted grill grate (it's off to the left) that I removed and just set the MiniMax in that spot.  it was as though it was meant to be there!

Next trip:  PIZZA on the beach!

• westernbbq
    I was wondering this as well.  Is that a grill table they have set up on the beach?  It looks like the MM might be sitting inside and old rusted out grill. 

This is unbelievably awesome by the way.  

I neglected to mention that the outdoor kitchen came with the house we rented.  5 bedroom 5 bath, a great room, fireplace, outdoor fire pit, outdoor kitchen.  $500 per night.  When you split it up with a few families and do a massive sam's club and beer run when you get there, it's the best vacation deal I've found.  Plus, I got to enjoy the MiniMax while on vacation which was really super cool!

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Spring break for your kids, correct?
    Happy you had a great time.
    How was the weather? 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • westernbbq
    Yes, spring break with my kids- and a bunch of their buddies whose parents rented houses in the same area where we were.  The weather couldn't have been better.  Low high 70s to low 80s by day, and mid to high 50s at night.  breezy most of time but Monday night the air was pretty still and I don't like not having a breeze.  The moving air keeps bugs away.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    MM in action, awesome!  Well played!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I. Hate. You. ;)

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you enjoyed it. We used to have a big group that would rent a giant house like that. Lots of fun. Sadly, that group has gone different directions. 
  • westernbbq
    this was too good not to post, didn't make these on the MiniMax but they are indicative of what the trip entails food-wise.  one of our traveling companions sent this to me early this  AM. Now, THAT'S shrimp cocktail!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Yep that's my kind of appetizer
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    ...they are indicative of what the trip entails food-wise.  one of our traveling companions sent this to me early this  AM. Now, THAT'S shrimp cocktail!
    "I got these for me, I wasn't sure what you wanted..."   
    :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am sold!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    You win!  Sitting in my home office looking at a front lawn still covered by 5 feet of snow...
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.