Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a butt

Options
Got a Boston butt yesterday, going to cook it tomorrow and I have never cooked one on my Egg before, what is the best way to cook it?

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Low and slow my man.  275 dome temp until it hits the right IT.  Smoke if you want. I use a combination of hickory and Apple 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    Get up at about 1130 tonight and get started. Rub it down and 225-250 cook With water or apple juice in drip pan under. Cook to internal temp of 190 and Try not to peek at it too much.  
  • EggAttack
    Options
    Cool thanks!! That helps out!!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Post pics! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Don't worry about water or apple juice under the butt.  It's not needed.  Just make sure your drip pan is raised off the platesetter.  Butt is done when it probes like buttah.  Usually between 195-205.  Drink while cooking and enjoy a fantastic meal. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Don't worry about water or apple juice under the butt.  It's not needed.  Just make sure your drip pan is raised off the platesetter.  Butt is done when it probes like buttah.  Usually between 195-205.  Drink while cooking and enjoy a fantastic meal. 
    This.

If you don't have a pit controller cook closer to 275 as it's easier to maintain. 

Welcome to the forum. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Low and slow is not necessarily the best way to cook the butt. Don't be afraid to go 275 to 300°. It will not hurt it at all. And cook it indirect. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I agree with @jcaspary no water or Apple juice needed. The egg doesn't dry out the meat like some other smokers do, and if the water or Apple juice fully evaporates while you're sleeping or otherwise busy you'll get a huge temperature spike (which is not what you're looking for in the middle of a slow and low cook)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Low and slow is great, but I also like turbo method. I am doing a turbo this weekend, takes around 5-7 hours at 300-400F. I get very similar results from both methods. Search this forum for Turbo butt, or low and slow butt, and you'll get some great recipes there too. :peace: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "