Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oyster help

Options
bigdogk9
bigdogk9 Posts: 69
I ordered some oysters to throw on the egg this evening. I thought I ordered on the half shell but they arrived shucked. My mistake!!! Any suggestions on how to prep and cook them? Was going to do garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese but now at a loss!!! 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    By shucked you meant you have the meat only? No shell?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    That's correct. Meat only.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you can do the same in a casserole dish, even in a cast iron skillet and bake them at maybe 400/425. when they are shucked like that they are usually soaking wet, you need to towel them dry or the bottom of your pan will be a swimming pool. you can always deep fry them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't remember the name of the product but I've seen a stainless steel imitation oyster shell product for single oyster servings. 
    Victoria, MN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Deep Fry for me.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    has anyone ever cooked like a scallop - just quick high-temp sear?  I bet they would be good dusted with some good rub and then quick sear, some butter in a really hot CI pan
  • chasw14
    chasw14 Posts: 31
    Options
    Use a muffin tin.  Place individual oysters in each muffin hole. add Bacon grease, butter, garlic, Pecorino Ramano.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    OYSTER Stew seriously! great meal and a hit with all... 
    Beaufort, SC
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    chasw14 said:
    Use a muffin tin.  Place individual oysters in each muffin hole. add Bacon grease, butter, garlic, Pecorino Ramano.
    That's a good idea.  Use the muffin pan as your shell.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That is retarded.  You may have well just purchased them in a jar!
    If the place you got them from still has a pile of shells back there, just grab some, rinse, and dump in an oyster and some juice in each shell.  Problem solved!

Otherwise, oyster stew!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bigdogk9
    Options
    These were overnighted. Never thought of a muffin pan but that's what's fixing to happen. That's why I asked. I knew someone here would have an idea!!! Thank you for all the responses!!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Adrock said:
    I don't remember the name of the product but I've seen a stainless steel imitation oyster shell product for single oyster servings. 
    I know this is a little late but I just saw it. I like reading back posts to see what I missed. With that said, here is the product that you inquired about. 

https://theoysterbed.com/

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MeanBone
    MeanBone Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the link, SGH.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    MeanBone said:
    Thanks for the link, SGH.  
    My pleasure brother. Again, sorry that I was a little late on the response. Also since this posting, a friend of mine in Biloxi has picked up a couple of the oyster beds. One small and one large. They actually work very well for their intended purpose. Going to pick a few up myself once I get home.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Personally i would skip the heat entirely and do oyster shots. Shot glass and hot sauce or lemon. Shellfish is much better raw. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The Oysterbed pans look great, however they do seem to be a bit pricey.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Fry them rascals with a little Cajun breading. Eat!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow