Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Grouper

Options
This is my first picture so I hope it works, but we did Blackened Grouper tonight and it turned out great.  Unfortunately I ate one of the fillets before I realized I needed to take a picture.
Florida
1 Lg BGE
Pulling my own pork since 2014

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That looks great. One of my favorites is blackened grouper sandwiches. Gonna have to do some again soon.
  • Gordon_Shumway
    Options
    Yea, I actually want to do them again in a sandwich.  The recipe was easy too.

Generous amount of seasoning
    Direct 500 on a cast iron griddle
    Drop some butter on the griddle once it's hot
    3 minutes per side
    And you're done.
    Florida
    1 Lg BGE

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks fantastic 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks awesome!! Man I love grouper about any way it can be fixed. When time allows, I like to cut strips about 2 inches long and paper thin, batter them and flash fry them. Grouper chips if you will. Again, great looking grub.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Mighty fine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Love me some grouper!  Glad you ate one before the pic, otherwise, you'd be a major light weight with those portions. ;)

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Is it better to eat grouper, or catch grouper? There's a meaty lump behind the head on the dorsal side that I don't tell anyone about when I'm cutting it up... best part of that big boy.

What seasoning do you use when you blacken it? I like to use paprika/garlic with thyme and oregano - dash of cayenne.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    That fricking fork! 

NO FORKS!

Join THE Cause. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    The half eaten plate?

No no no no no no

Take the pic with NO FORK and ready to serve. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Is it better to eat grouper, or catch grouper? There's a meaty lump behind the head on the dorsal side that I don't tell anyone about when I'm cutting it up... best part of that big boy.

What seasoning do you use when you blacken it? I like to use paprika/garlic with thyme and oregano - dash of cayenne.
    When I cleaned fish for a living, we cut the heads off and sold them to crabbers for bait. I took all the cheeks out. I ate like a king. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gordon_Shumway
    Options
    DieselkW said:

I used the Dizzy Pig blackening seasoning
    Florida
    1 Lg BGE

• Gordon_Shumway
    Options

The half eaten plate?

No no no no no no

Take the pic with NO FORK and ready to serve. 
    Yea, rookie mistake.  I wasn't going to post a picture at all but I took one for a friend who just got a BGE, and decided I'd throw it on here as well.
    Florida
    1 Lg BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @travisstrick I ate the cheeks on the last couple of Scamp I did. You're correct that's just plain delicious!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Gordon_Shumway No worries. We forgive and forget.  :)
    New Albany, Ohio