Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easiest Way To Feed 30ish LBGE

Options
2»

Comments

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Do you think the 16" pan from CGS will accommodate the drippings from three butts or should I grab a larger disposable aluminum pan?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I like the disposable for butts, then I don't have to deal with the grease, just let it setup if it's cold enough or stuff some crumpled newspaper in there and into the trash.  I don't like the idea of walking around with an almost full shallow pan of grease.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Next weekend good sir.  I will tally the final counts this weekend and do my shopping.  I also need to carve out some time to build my DIY grid extender.
    Quick tip for you, Wegmans has best price on pork Butt, usually 1.49 lb.....most other places in Frederick are considerably higher
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Questions on pre-cooking the food before a party.

If I were to turbo cook some pork butts the day before a party  how would you handle the cook?  Pull them when done or will they pull when cold and in the fridge overnight?  Will reheating with stock really make them taste like they came off the smoker?

Same for brisket (except for pulling)?

How do you reheat chicken so its ready to go for a large party?

And cooking allot of sausage or burgers the day off the party?  How do you deal with cooking on a LBGE only?  Won't there be allot of flare ups form the grease dripping on the fire making the food taste bad?

I like the idea of precooking so I can enjoy the party when guests arrive instead of slaving over the cooking and not talking to the guests.
    I always cook and pull the pork ahead and store it in the fridge. The moisture added while reheating will not change the taste. I have never done a brisket ahead and I don't think I would try that personally. The chicken is a much shorter cook and I would cook the day of the party. I think you should buy a second egg if you are routinely entertaining 30-50 people. Bottom line is you must sometimes cater your menu to what can be reasonably done. The pork is very easy and forgiving that's why it's so popular. Burgers and sausage take very little time, chicken I would leave an hour for. So cook the pork ahead, cook the chicken early and then do the burgers and sausages during the party. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If you're willing to cook "during" the party, there is no limit - hot egg + meat = food.

Sounds like you want everything ready all at once. I like the idea above using crock pots for the pork that might be done before guests arrive.

Put a 24 hour fill of lump in that Large and leave it at 300f so you can throw on chicken and burgers and whatever gets cooked after the pork comes off.

My first (failed) spatchcock was last night - burned wings, black skin, 150f on the breast. I had to bring that pink meat inside, cut it up, and put the breast halves back on for 20 minutes. I don't recommend a whole chicken for a party - too much can go wrong with legs at 175f and breasts at ... well, you seem to have a shortage of breasts at this party already. ;-p

I think chicken thighs work really well, and can all be ready at the same time. I like thighs with red pepper flakes between the meat and skin. If you're adventurous, try this from Chef JJ in Indianapolis:

• 4 pounds bone in, skin on chicken thighs
    • salt and pepper, as needed
    • For the Glaze:
    • 6 poblano chiles, stemmed, coarsely chopped
    • 3 serrano chiles, stemmed, chopped
    • 1 cup agave syrup (nectar)
    • For the Pineapple:
    • 1 ripe pineapple (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, cut into 1/2' rounds
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • apricot wood, for smoking

Directions

• 1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
    • 2. Preheat the EGG to 225º using indirect heat and the smoking wood. Smoke the chicken thighs for about 2 hours.
    • 3. While the chicken is smoking, combine the ingredients for the glaze in a food processor. Process until the peppers are almost pureed, and an even mixture forms.
    • 4. Remove the chicken from the grill and increase the temperature to 350º using indirect heat. Toss the chicken in the glaze and cook indirect for about 30 minutes, until the chicken starts to look sticky.
    • 5. Convert the EGG to direct heat with a cast iron grate and preheated to 400º. Grill the pineapple until char marks form. Remove from the grill, drizzle with the vinegar and serve.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• MediumRarely
    Options
    You do have to choose wisely!  I have found that I can hold large cuts (butts and brisket) for a number of hours by wrapping in foil and placing in a large cooler or oven.  Smaller cuts (chicken, etc.) do have some issues - especially when chilling/reheating - you may want to steam reheat this (or stick with other stuff).

Good point but flare ups are easy to avoid - go indirect and use your place setter with a drip pan.

This approach to preparing for a large party does eliminate many things from the menu, but the payoff (for me anyway) is well worth it.  Many things can be prepared ahead time - some of them even get better with age.  Note - I do cook on the Egg just before and during the party (it makes for good conversation, etc.) but I just make sure that I do easy, quick cooks and doesn't preclude me from other fun.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    I'm scratching BGE appetizers from the plan and just focusing on the pork & coleslaw.  Making appetizers for 40ish would be a pretty big hassle unless everyone only got like one each.  

I think I'm gonna try for 4 ~8# butts because I'm not exactly sure on the total count and don't want to be short on food.  
  • SantaAlex
    Options
    My go-to meal for crowds this size is London Broil.  Marinate it, either home made marinade or store bought, grill it, slice it thin and your good to go.  While slicing I segregate it into three piles: rare, medium, and well done so everyone can easily find what they want. Easy to cook allowing me to spend time with my guests, and everyone loves it.  Did this the Saturday after Christmas for 25 people, a spur of the moment family gathering.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    I'm scratching BGE appetizers from the plan and just focusing on the pork & coleslaw.  Making appetizers for 40ish would be a pretty big hassle unless everyone only got like one each.  

I think I'm gonna try for 4 ~8# butts because I'm not exactly sure on the total count and don't want to be short on food.  
    KISS is also important.  Enjoy!!!!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

It sounds like you have the salad/slaws taken care of, but this is one of my favorites.  This is the large recipe version and I cut it down to party size.  I cheat so badly with this though:  Gordon's Food service sells the veggies already cut up, AND bacon bits.  I also use Splenda for those watching sugar, and no one else can tell the difference. http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/quantity/broccoli-cauliflower-salad.htm

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Supplied the meat for a family party of 35 or so on Saturday.  Fixed two 9 pound butts on Friday and then two whole Peruvian chickens and 8 lbs. of wings on Saturday.  There were somewhat higher fractions of elderly and young children than might be usual and only one teenage male.  The crowd ate one of the pork butts and about 2/3 of the chicken.  There were lots of other dishes, so the meat was not really the main item.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Quick question:
    I'm going to be trying out my brand new Maverick 733 on this cook and I'm planning to go turbo @ 325 so I don't have to cook overnight. I've also created a 5" raised grid so I will probably put two butts on the main grid and two on the top grid.

Should I:

1. Use the BGE dome thermometer for my 325 and put both Maverick probes in the meat, one in the top and one in the bottom.

2. Use one Maverick probe for the grid temp and put one in the meat on the top?

I'm sure both ways will work just fine but I was just wondering what you all thought.

And thanks for all of your help so far, this is an excellent forum!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Quick question:
    I'm going to be trying out my brand new Maverick 733 on this cook and I'm planning to go turbo @ 325 so I don't have to cook overnight. I've also created a 5" raised grid so I will probably put two butts on the main grid and two on the top grid.

Should I:

1. Use the BGE dome thermometer for my 325 and put both Maverick probes in the meat, one in the top and one in the bottom.

2. Use one Maverick probe for the grid temp and put one in the meat on the top?

I'm sure both ways will work just fine but I was just wondering what you all thought.

And thanks for all of your help so far, this is an excellent forum!
    Either will work, but make sure you probe the smallest butt. That one should finish first.
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    They say variety is the spice of life.

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Swmbo helped with wrapping and labeling.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Smoked chicken salad and crackers is a great app and is better done a day before. Cook the pork a day before and reheat..frees up the egg. Tortilla pizza apps would be easy or sausage cut into toothpick app size. Try @hotch margarita cookies. ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Turned out  beautifully. Thanks all!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Crowd pleaser? Did you just do butts?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    @grege345 - a crowd pleaser indeed, roughly 36 pounds and not a single leftover.  My coleslaw and tangy mustard sauce got good reviews as well.  

All in all a great party, nothing brings people together like some tasty 'que!

Now I need a hot cook to burn off the pieces of pork that got stuck to my grids.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice looking butts!  How many people did you end up having?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    All in all probably a little over 40 but I wasn't exactly in a keeping track of things like that state of mind.  The female to male ratio was even worse than I'd thought it be as a bunch of my wife's friends couldn't make it.  There were probably about 12 females there throughout the day, 6 of which were family, 3 pregnant, the rest married or engaged.  

A couple of guys brought an ice luge which perplexed/fascinated/terrified the non-partying crowd.  They also brought a lawn game I had never seen called Kubb, I actually didn't get to play but it looked awesome and I plan to put together my own set soon.