Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow rib cook...foil or no foil

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Hi guys...wanted to ask those of you who do your ribs low and slow if you foil them at any point or not...I recently did some St. Louis cut ribs at 250 for about 5hrs...they were good but not great...not sure if it was the quality of the ribs(RD) or if I needed to foil them....opinions appreciated...thanks!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Personally, I don't foil or sauce my ribs.  Babybacks or spares.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You will hear both opinions. My take is that you can get great results either way.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cottonseed
    Options
    3-1-1 with back ribs
    3 hours on the smoke,
    1-1.5 hour in foil with some sweet, savory, spicy concoction
    1-1.5 hour back on the smoke (no foil) basted with the remnants of that concoction and a sauce of your choice.

Same method with spares or St. Louis, just a full 2 hours in the foil or 4-1-1.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    I appreciate all opinions...I have picked some great info from the members here and always looking to get better....I'm leaning towards the cut of meat...it was on sale...had good marbling but somehow didn't have that great flavor...they were tender from the low and slow...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    All good info above-the foil step will most likely give you the "fall off the bone" finish many prefer (duration dependent).  I am lazy and run X-0-0 (with X the total cook time, unless guests want the "fall off the bone" experience.  If so then I will foil some quantity of ribs.  Eggsperiment and see what works for you.  Many right answers to rib cook processes.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done both foil and no foil.  Hot and fast and low and slow.  My wife likes them fall off the bone and using foil after they have been on for 2-3 hours helps with that.  I prefer cooking pork ribs at 275 no foil tell down.  It depends on whether they are spares or baby backs.  Spares normally take about 3.5 to 4 hours and baby backs can take 4 to 4.5 hours sometimes.  I had a thread about sauce or or no sauce running for a while.  You will get both answers on that.  I like dry with sauce on the side.  If you do foil, try to add a little moisture and some rub or brown sugar if you want them sweet.  Good luck and enjoy.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.