Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Eggfest???

Options
Serious question, which is the best Eggfest/Eggtoberfest to attend?  I have been to a couple of small Eggfests and they are fun but I'm looking for a big event.  I would love to meet a lot of the people here on the forum and eat some delicious food in that order.  This year my wife and I were hoping to go to the Eggtoberfest but my new job may put a crimp in that idea.  I've read a ton of posts on Salado/Brisket camp/Eggtoberfest/...and they all sound great.  Living so far away I can maybe go to one a year.  Which is the best one out there?  
XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
Joe- Strongsville, OH

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When it comes to a "Big" Eggfest, BGE's own Eggtoberfest is one of a kind. IMO Others tend to be of a regional flavor, lots of fun nonetheless.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Won't be big, but the inaugural mid-tenn fest in June is slated to be almost all forum members. Come on down. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    From a size perspective, Salado isn't a big fest.  There are many bigger.  

The difference is that a lot of **** awesome people that attend so it has quietly become a egg bucket list event for several peeps.   Mickey told me I couldn't come back after my first visit cause I wasn't 'awesome' enough.  Really though, if you go, you will meet some really cool people....and eat some really great food.  It's also one of the only free fests out there and they still give crap away! 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When it comes to a "Big" Eggfest, BGE's own Eggtoberfest is one of a kind. 
    Where is this one ^^^^^ held at?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    When it comes to a "Big" Eggfest, BGE's own Eggtoberfest is one of a kind. 
    Where is this one ^^^^^ held at?
    @SGH last year they held it at Stone Mountain park (about 20 miles NE of Atlanta). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.  Hopefully we can make Eggtoberfest this year and Salado next year.  The food will be good at any fest.  Meeting a good amount of the people here would be a lot of fun.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've been to New England, Eggtoberfest (before it went to the racetrack), Florida (the Ocala one), Florida Melbourne, Minnesota Ice Fest, Georgia Mountain,Salado and a couple of Canadian ones. The best, hands down is Salado, seconded by GA Mountain, third is Florida. That was when Eggtoberfest was awesome too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've been to New England, Eggtoberfest (before it went to the racetrack), Florida (the Ocala one), Florida Melbourne, Minnesota Ice Fest, Georgia Mountain,Salado and a couple of Canadian ones. The best, hands down is Salado, seconded by GA Mountain, third is Florida. That was when Eggtoberfest was awesome too.
    I'm hitting ga Mtn this year so I'm glad to hear. Really wanted to hit salado, but couldn't pull it off this yr. next yr I'll try my damnedest. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Egret does an amazing job! It was a close second to Salado in many ways. Last time I was there I may have been a little off cause I spent the previous 4 days fishing Lake Lanier with a few incredible ****.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I hear salado has free PBR's and people to set your cook station up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    From a size perspective, Salado isn't a big fest. ....It's also one of the only free fests out there and they still give crap away! 
    fyi-Eggs by the Bay gives out over $6500 worth of gifts each year. We do take good care of our Eggfest Chefs...a good practice IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    From a size perspective, Salado isn't a big fest. ....It's also one of the only free fests out there and they still give crap away! 
    fyi-Eggs by the Bay gives out over $6500 worth of gifts each year. We do take good care of our Eggfest Chefs., good practice IMO.
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER some year I will co-ordinate our visit to the in-laws (Orland, CA) with Eggs by the Bay.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I'd say if you haven't been to one, then try and go to one around your local area to get a "Taste" of what it's like. Then if you find that you liked it and found it worth your while, then you might be more inclined to travel to one out our your area. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had a dream, that one day, when Brisket Camp is in year 10, the BGE rep will notice it and supply some demo eggs....I HAD A DREAM! 
    Options
    I had a dream, that one day, when Brisket Camp is in year 10, the BGE rep will notice it and supply some demo eggs....I HAD A DREAM! 
    If they don't, I will supply it with units. #8 is under construction. It's only a matter of time before she is in the arsenal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm going to have to drink way fewer Sazeracs if I'm going to survive the next one; much less 9 more. I had a dream too. And it was trippy as hell. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

My Sweetie and I started Egg'n in 1999.  Our first Eggfest was the very first Texas Eggfest in 2003.  It was just one of only three that we knew of at the time: Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, Waldorf in Maryland, and the Florida Eggfest in Ocala.  I later learned that there was one in Illinois. 

It took us a couple of years before attending any outside of Texas, but when we finally made it to Atlanta and Waldorf (got there right at the tail end due to our flight), we got to meet a lot more of what makes Eggfests so much fun - People.  Everyone was just a joy to be around. 

We had found ourselves a home.

Since those early days, we have been to over 50 Eggfests and Egg-Related events, including two Coop Fests we hosted ourselves.  They were all fun, even the one's in parking lots, or so cold our teeth chattered, or so hot we all but passed out, or it rained so much that we were soaked to the skin. 

What made them fun? - the People. 

We Eggheads are fortunate to hang with some of the nicest people in the world.  It can't help to be fun when we get together.

As for the Eggfests themselves, they all have a personality and life of their own.  All are unique in so many ways, so much so that each is perfect for that town, that group of people and that moment in time. 

We haven't been to Eggtoberfest in years but it's on the bucket list to go back, along with the four Eggfests here in Texas, the Georgia Mountain Eggfest, and maybe even the Ice Fest if it warms up a lot.  There are others on the list and we're trying to hit at least one or two new ones each year. 

In a few hours we will be in Salado, a sleepy little artisan village with a spring-fed creek flowing through it.  Its Deep in the Heart of Texas.  We have been welcomed by the Mayor, supported by local businesses and encouraged to enjoy ourselves in their beautiful park and many little shops where they make and sell some really cool items, including teaching you how to blow your own glass while drinking free beer.  Yeah, I thought that was cool too.

We will be seeing old friends going back many years and making new ones who will forever become a part of our lives.  We're looking forward to it.

We will eat well, party hard and encourage Newbie's to take full advantage of the unlimited joys that come with being an Egghead.

And yes, we will have fun.

See you in Salado.

Spring "Let The Festing Begin" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    cazzy said:
    fyi-Eggs by the Bay gives out over $6500 worth of gifts each year. We do take good care of our Eggfest Chefs...a good practice IMO.
    $6500?? All I got when I came out there was a coffee mug!!??  B)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @jcaspary , there's an Eggfest in Cincinnati every July called Porkopolis.  It's a wonderful event and gets larger every year.  Eddie Meiners puts it together and does a great job. It's sponsored by Wardway Fuel.  The fest is at a German Society so there's plenty of draft beer to enjoy along with the good eats.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jcaspary
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments.   I have gone to a couple real small Eggfests that were ok.   With so few cooks it's hard to get real excited.  Talking to the cooks was a lot of fun but I haven't yet met many of the fine people in this forum.  Looking forward to a big event.  
    @YEMTrey  thanks for the info.  That is a possibility as it is only 4 hours away.  
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'd like to hit up the BGE fest and Salado.  

There used to be one in Winston-Salem, NC a while ago (before I had one) and they have no desire to strum another on up.  I really wished we had one.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Joe, these are all within easy drive of Strongsville, OH:
    Early June, Toronto Eggfest - 5 hours
    Early August, Niagara Eggfest (St. Catharines, ON) - 4 hours
    Late July, Pittsburgh Eggfest (Zelienople, PA) - 2 hours
    canuckland
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    There are also Eggfests in Indianapolis in May and Fort Wayne in July.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @jcaspary I suspect you've been to the Northcoast Eggfest in North Royalton from what you already have said.  It is small but a lot of fun.  I'm hoping it grows into a bit event but that takes time.  I'll be cooking again this year and I know another forum member will be cooking also.  Stop in and say hi if your in the area.
  • jcaspary
    Options
    @yellowdogbbq I'm about 10 minutes from there.   I'll be there if I don't have to work.  Hope to meet you there.   
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    So when is the next one gonna be?

Little Rock, AR

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'll be cooking at the Indianapolis Fest in Broad Ripple (North of downtown) on May 16 this year - you're near Cleveland so that might be a hike... two hours from Dayton. Chef JJ is expecting to feed 1000 this year, so how big is that?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    edited March 2015
    Options
    $6500?? All I got when I came out there was a coffee mug!!??  B) Lot of changes in 8 years John, still tryin' to buy your services back again someday. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @jcaspary Hopefully it works that you can come, I'll post before the event or message you.  Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to cook. 
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Sometimes I think it would be fun to cook at an Eggfest.  The problem
    is that a majority of the time it would be terrifying.  I spend enough time worrying what my family thinks of my cooks...
    Joe- Strongsville, OH