Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate size for second level (XL)

Guys, I need some advice. I have a XL and have a decent size cook this weekend 2-3 butts and one large-ish brisket. I plan on grabbing a second grate and making a dual level setup for this weekend. I was thinking butts on the main grid and brisket on the top (new) grid. My question is, what diameter grid will be big enough yet small enough to raise high enough to clear the butts. i was thinking 18" but was thinking maybe a 20" would work. I don't have time to order anything right now so i'm stuck with what i can get local which is a new grid.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I use a grill dome grill extender on my XL.  It's 18" and puts the grid 5.5" above what it's sitting on which is usually the primary grate - I can't remember how far above the gasket level that makes it, but there is plenty of clearance to the point that I can move it front/back or side to side and the lid still closes, so 20 may work fine if you don't go higher than that, but you probably won't be able to load meat up edge to edge unless you're doing something low like chicken parts.

I did have clearance issues when I cooked six 8+ lb butts.  With three on top, one of them brushed the inside of the dome until they cooked down for a few hours.  Brisket and one butt on bottom and two butts on top and you should be fine, even if they're large butts.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    I don't have any advice for grate sizes but i my mind the butts are going to be taller so they would go on the top rack.  The brisket would fit better underneath.  Plus the butts would render fat onto the brisket and basically baste the brisket for you.  Never tried that but what could be bad about beef basted with pork fat.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I have used this set up for a couple years and I plan on buying something soon to replace it, it works great I  cook raised direct enough that I want something more sturdy.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    No first hand experience with an XL. during the swing rack adapter group buy, it was suggested the upper grid be one size down, for an XL that means buying a LBGE grid, or an 18.5” Weber grid. I think the 18” gives the most flexibility from a high in the dome perspective. The 20” might be too large. FWIW. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Legume said:
    I use a grill dome grill extender on my XL.  It's 18" and puts the grid 5.5" above what it's sitting on which is usually the primary grate - I can't remember how far above the gasket level that makes it, but there is plenty of clearance to the point that I can move it front/back or side to side and the lid still closes, so 20 may work fine if you don't go higher than that, but you probably won't be able to load meat up edge to edge unless you're doing something low like chicken parts.

I did have clearance issues when I cooked six 8+ lb butts.  With three on top, one of them brushed the inside of the dome until they cooked down for a few hours.  Brisket and one butt on bottom and two butts on top and you should be fine, even if they're large butts.
    I have the grill extender for XL as well,  but I added some 3" SS bolts to get it even higher for more room.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Ladeback69 sounds interesting, there have been times that would be helpful. - can you post or send me a pic?
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I've used the 18" grid on my grid extender before I got the adjustable rig. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    I have the XL adjustable rig and it comes with an optional 20" upper grid, but in a pinch the weber 18.5" grid will be fine and inexpensive. 
  • bi11fish
    bi11fish Posts: 36
    Plain old clay pots for risers?