Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hole-y Egg Table!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My dad just got an Egg + table and I gave him one of the expanded metal grates I'd made for my Egg. Showing him how to do pizza on his one night, smoke started billowing out from under his Egg! We checked, and the heat from the Egg (temp. 550*F) was charring the table underneath. I checked mine when I got home, and sure enough, there is a palm sized hole charred clear through the bottom of my table (I've never seen any smoke using it ~300x in the last year; his seemed to be smoking from a knot with sap in it right under the Egg... if it weren't for that we wouldn't even know). His dealer says its because the metal grate is letting more heat reflect downward than the ceramic grate (makes sense). We both have our Eggs sitting on the small feet they come with, so no direct contact with the wood.[p] So... 1) Anyone else have this happen? 2) I really like the performance of my 'aftermarket' grate, I wonder if putting a concrete stepping-stone under the Egg would prevent further charring and allow me to continue using it? 3) If you have a similar set-up you might want to look at your table <grin>.[p] Regards, EggHawk[p]

Comments