Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New LGEgg Owner

Options
I finally made the plunge-Bought a Lg Big Green Egg, with nest side shelves and nest handler, I went back and forth between BGE and KJ (supply and lack of patience finally tipped the scale). I found a dealer that assembled the egg and delivered to my patio big + for service. The dealer also included a plate setter (convEGGtor),charcoal, ash rake and cover in the deal.

Now the question what would be the first / most needed item or items I would not think about before my first cook?

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome!!   You need a Thermopen
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome to the Funny Farm.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Meat
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    If you haven't already ordered a Thermapen you're behind!  It's an absolute must! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome. Get some good heat resistant gloves shortly after the thermopen. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I got my gloves yesterday Jason! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @johnkitchens looking forward to your thoughts. High que came right up to temp tonight. Thanks for the tip. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @bi11fish you may want to eventually switch over to a Hi Que grate. After two years I switched. It isn't a must, but I sure do like mine. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    btw, this crew will spend your money faster than a girlfriend.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    We are real good at that! 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Amen!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard and agree with the instant read thermometer.  I have the thermopop and love it.   A tad slower than the pen bit way less.  Either way you will be pleased.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    for chicken, you'll want to raise it higher into the dome. Lots of option available, but anything to raise the cooking grate
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    A membership to Restaurant Depot
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Welcome and Yes they will spend your money. But always worth it. I bought 2 Woos one for the LBGE and one for MM. They work great to raise the grate up.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
     the link for the woos  www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am also new to the BGE family, and found that you will need one of everything.  In all seriousness I'd say the thermopen is a must and we've used our pizza stone a ton as well (it's not just for pizza).  Additional lump will be needed as the indoor cooking will have all but ended. Last but not least start prepping yourself for your second BGE
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    Kick ash basket.  Makes clean up and set up for the next cook a breeze.  Also a digital thermometer that reads both grill and food temp. 
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • bi11fish
    bi11fish Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice-Thermapen already in hand as I have a pellet smoker, I am thinking pizza stone, ET 733, and gloves for sure. As to spending my money the better half does that well enough and I really do not need any help.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    bi11fish said:
    Thanks for all the advice-Thermapen already in hand as I have a pellet smoker, I am thinking pizza stone, ET 733, and gloves for sure. As to spending my money the better half does that well enough and I really do not need any help.

You have the egg, so you can cook direct. You have the pizza stone, so you have a way to do indirect, an accurate thermometer to cook to temp, and have/will have gloves to remove the stone to go from indirect to direct for a reverse sear. So, you already have the "must-haves".

I would also add a stock pile of heavy duty aluminum foil (HDAF) and drip pans (or a good reusable one). You do need those.... Finally, you need to REMEMBER TO BURP THE EGG! But do not worry, if you do not remember, the egg will remind you; and most likely you will only need to be reminded once.

I suggest you use the egg with what you have, really evaluate what you "need", then buy. In my opinion, everything else makes things easier, or are "nice-to-haves".
    You can raise the grid for a couple bucks if you want/need to; and you will want do that at some point soon.  I am sure people are going to chime in and say you need to get the adjustable rig (AR), timers you can wear around your neck, cast iron pieces, wok, Smokeware cap, a pit controller, meat slicer, scales, meat grinder, cutting boards, expensive knives, custom handles....etc... 

Or you can get everything I just mentioned now, have all the toys, get the egg all pimped out and get it over with right away.....  It really depends how you like to take off your band-aids, one quick pull and be done, or pull it off slowly.....

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    You have the Egg, you have the forum, so therefore you have friends, grab a Thermopen, welding gloves, and a beverage and have fun.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'll go a drink and an appetite!  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A Thermopop is just fine - and a lot less $$$. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    bi11fish said:

You have the egg, so you can cook direct. You have the pizza stone, so you have a way to do indirect, an accurate thermometer to cook to temp, and have/will have gloves to remove the stone to go from indirect to direct for a reverse sear. So, you already have the "must-haves".

I would also add a stock pile of heavy duty aluminum foil (HDAF) and drip pans (or a good reusable one). You do need those.... Finally, you need to REMEMBER TO BURP THE EGG! But do not worry, if you do not remember, the egg will remind you; and most likely you will only need to be reminded once.

I suggest you use the egg with what you have, really evaluate what you "need", then buy. In my opinion, everything else makes things easier, or are "nice-to-haves".
    You can raise the grid for a couple bucks if you want/need to; and you will want do that at some point soon.  I am sure people are going to chime in and say you need to get the adjustable rig (AR), timers you can wear around your neck, cast iron pieces, wok, Smokeware cap, a pit controller, meat slicer, scales, meat grinder, cutting boards, expensive knives, custom handles....etc... 

Or you can get everything I just mentioned now, have all the toys, get the egg all pimped out and get it over with right away.....  It really depends how you like to take off your band-aids, one quick pull and be done, or pull it off slowly.....

You forgot the meat locker for dry aging at home!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. Well you have some lump, next you need some food, some fire to start the lump. FIRE that egg up. Tools and toys will come.