Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax Brisket - Mixed results

Options
First off, thanks to everyone who chimed in to my thread on about cooking a brisket on the MiniMax.  I'll separate this post into two parts for better explanation. 1. The minimax on a long cook and 2. the brisket.

1. I was quite impressed with how the little guy performed.  My setup was the MM, Platesetter with a Woo.  I loaded the fire bowl as best I could by placing loading from a brand new bag of BGE lump.  I only used BGE lump because I was out of my go to, and the only one I can get that's worth anything is from a local Lowes, but I don't trust it for a long cook.  Anyway, I fired up the grill at 11:00, and it was stabilizednicely at 230 by midnight, and I put the brisket on.  We went to bed (passed out) around 2:30, and it was purring along beautifully.  Woke up a few times before 8:00, and my Maverick was showing it was locked in at 235*.  It stayed they was for a total of 10 hours, before it started to slowly drop to 225.  WIth the brisket at about 160, I took it off, wrapped it, and reloaded the egg.  You can see from the attached picture that there was still probably a couple hours of lump left, but it was all around the edges.  I think if I just would have lifted the woo and pushed all the lump to the center, it would have carried on for a couple more hours. Since the Egg was hot, it only took about 20 minutes to lock back in, but I waited a total of 30 before putting the meat back on.  I noticed that the very end of the point was touching the dome, and at that spot it was nearly raw.  I made sure to pull it back when I put it back on.  It took a couple more hours to hit 190, and passed the probe test.  I then pulled it and let it rest in a cooler for a few hours.  As far as holding low and slow temps, I was really impressed.  But as I'll explain in part 2, it has its limitations.

2. The brisket itself was just meh!  Part of it may have been the size of the meat, and the egg, and part may be this was my first brisket.  I can't wait to make my next on one the LBGE with the R&B Adjustable Rig.  One problem was with an 8.3 lb brisket, even draped over a foil wrapped brick, there were parts of the flat that hung over the small platesetter, and after 12 hours of were as hard as the ceramic itself.  The rest of the flat was quite dry, and fell apart as I sliced it.  The point was pretty awesome, except I accidentally cut the first half with the grain, and well, that wasn't great.  I cubed that up and made burnt ends which were OUTSTANDING.

So in summary, the MM is a friggin workhorse, and I'm loving it more and more every day.  I don't know about cooking a large piece of for a long period of time though.  I think the small is a better low and slow cooker because the fire bowl is bigger, and the dome is also higher, which would allow you to drape something like a brisket higher to protect it from the fire.  The last picture is just a reminder of how pristine it was out on the frozen lake drinking beers, eating well, playing  and enjoying good company.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    No cooked brisket pics? I've cooked a brisket in the mini, your brisket may have just been too big, perhaps a bit more cut off would have done the job. Also with lump limited , should have done 250 degree minimum cook maybe higher, good info though thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @SkinnyV -  No, nothing of the cooked pics.  I was fairly disappointed and taking pics slipped my mind.  Besides, as I said, the flat just fell apart.

I also have no doubt a lot of the problem was my own.  First cook learning experience.  I'd like to try it again I think.  But yes, this time with a smaller piece.  Thanks for the the temp advice.  That makes sense to me.  All opinions and suggestions welcome.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I think my last mini brisket was 275 degrees turned out just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • Greeno55
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Can you remember the size and time to cook?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm on the fence MM or small.  Do you have experience with both?  Recommendations. 
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    SkinnyV said:
    Can you remember the size and time to cook?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161952/managers-special-brisket-on-the-mini#latest
    Seattle, WA
  • Greeno55
    Options
    I don't.  All I can say is with my LBGE, I'm very happy I went with a MM.  I am working about 90 minutes from home until the end of the school year, and staying with some close friends, and the ease of portability has been awesome.  It travels with me weekly
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I've done burnt ends on the MM which were phenomenal.  I just smoked two points.  I think a full packer just isn't going to work out all that well.  Even @cazzy said he was underwhelmed by the packer he did on his small.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You say that the dome is higher in the small. Aren't they the same dome? I'm guessing with the cgs rig for the MM that would actually create less room. Is this what you meant?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!  Very good info. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Greeno55
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Aren't they the same dome?
    I didn't think they were, but after looking at some pics, I guess they are.  The woo did raise it up.  Next time, and there will be after looking over @SkinnyV 's post above, I may try with just PS, no Woo.  Although, I do plan on cooking a smaller one, and leaving the packer for the Large.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I too thought the mm dome was more shallow?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I can go measure thru the lid vent to grate quick. Be back in a minute. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    What happened to your fire ring?

Options
    Ok. So I measured thru the top and its 7.5 " to the grate. I have a small woo so the grate is at felt line. Subtract 1.5" for the vent so that's 6" for max height in the center. I agree that packers are meant for the Lg. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks like a train wreck. 
  • Greeno55
    Options
    paqman said:
    What happened to your fire ring?
    Casualty of shipping.  Getting my warranty replacement next week.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So this was A. Your FIRST BRISKET B. Large brisket on the MM
     I'd say you did a darn good job considering A&B.
    Smaller packer may have given different results. Either way I commend the effort and pioneer voyage. Nice work!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Hate to ask...not but why not use your large from the start?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Sometimes, you just feel the need to Ray Finkle your meat!    =)

http://youtu.be/4j8m8L8B7pM
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Because I wasn't putting the large in the back seat of my truck and lugging out to the lake.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dry brisket = chili.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Greeno55
    Options
    henapple said:
    Dry brisket = chili.
    If there was any left ... it was dry, but after a day of ice fishing and beer drinking, we just washed it down with more beer.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great write-up.  Thanks.  :cow: 

I am toying with the idea of a MM for travel, as you noted.  I'm just wondering if I'd get to cook the meat I want on it due to it's small size. If I'm just doing steaks/chicken/burgers then I can get by with a charcoal while on vacation.  What I'd like to do is low and slow a large cut of meat and, man, that 8 lbs looks like it is pushing the limits of the MM.

Temp and time-wise it looks like you did everything right.  So, if the middle was dry I wonder if that was due to the MM and proximity of meat to the heat or some other variable.  ?!?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Greeno55
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - Thanks for the support.  I enjoyed the process.  Glad for a place like this to help out and teach for the next time.

@KiterTodd - The middle was fine, it was just the ends.  I do think a lot had to do with handing over the edges of the platesetter.  Also wondering if I did it at a higher temp, as @SkinnyV suggested, it that would have maybe helped avoid that because it would have cooked faster.  Maybe he can chime in.  I do have to say, I love my MM though.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Maybe some foil under the ends that were hanging over?  
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Maybe some foil under the ends that were hanging over?  
    That is a thought I had.  But you know what they say about hindsight ... :s
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I guess if the alternative is not egging at all on your lake weekend trip....well, then it did just fine!   Dry bits or not.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland