Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembly question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man what a Bummer, was assembling my BGE this early evening and found I was missing the 2 black screws that give the bands compression fitting before bolting the larger bolts to bring the bands together.
Is there a place in the box I was missing the screws. the video shows them already in the bands, and I have looked everywhere. If they are missing vcan anyone tell me what I need to buy to replace them?
Sorry to be so mechanically challenged. thanks for advice. Iron, in North Carolina.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Ironclad,
    I'm guessing you are referring to the old VHS video which references the alignment punches in the bands.These are no longer on the bands and you do not need them.[p]The only screws you need are the ones to attach the hinge assembly and the ones to attach the handle. Once you have those in place you can tighten up the main bolts. If you have the side tables be sure to install those screws also.[p]HTH

• Bobby-Q,
    I was wondering that! Thanks for the reply. So if I just tighten the bands with the longer screws with washers and nuts ...the bands will stay on the egg unit? then remove the hinge bracket to set the hinge free? Funny, I watched the video about 5 times and said HUH? It is such a big investment for me I did not want to release the hinge then have to buy a Come-Along to get the hinges back in place . I will try that tomorrow morning and then hopefully steaks for lunch. I have recently retired and on a limited income. I have always wanted to own a green egg, and when the wife found out I was willing to cook a pork roast she said to go get one.....thanks again. Ironclad.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Ironclad,the bands will stay on. Just tighten the bolts til they bend about 15 -20 degrees. The come-a long will not be needed....You will LOVE OWNING AN EGG !!! BEST THING YOU EVER OWNED... you will soon see .....what WE already KNOW !!!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ironclad, and the bolts look like this....[p]
    BOLTS.jpg

• tn slagamater,
    Thanks Slagmaster, I know I will love owning the BGE....I have been eying one at Pinch A Penny Pool Supplies in North Ft. Myers for about 8 years. Now that I have retired and moved to North Carolina, I really want to put in some time on BBQ and smoke cooking. My Brother - In - Law got an egg by finding it in a widow lady's garage he was cleaning for her. You guessed it, she gave it to him for NADA...talk about lucky. When the Mrs. and me visited him 2 weeks ago he made us a pork roast. that added insult to injury and I told the wife I am getting one! Used my retiremnt gift from my cronies to make the purchase. I really look forward to getting even more involved in this forum. thanks again, Ironclad.

• tach18k,
    Thanks Tach.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Ironclad, Where in NC do you live? If you really want a treat, go to the Smoke at the Rock the 24th and the 25th of this month and check out the Dizzy Pig team. All they use are Eggs and Eggsperience. You will really be happy with your purchase then.

• Sigmore,
    I am close to Bryson City, just off Fontana Lake.

• Sigmore,
    I am close to Bryson City, just off Fontana Lake.

• Sigmore,
    Sounds good where in nc is the Smoke Rock located...do they show you how they cook with the egg? thanks

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Ironclad, There is a hardware in Cashiers that handles Eggs so if you over that way you can check them out. We will be in Dillard in August at the Dillard Bluegrass & BBQ Festival. Come over and visit. Make plans now for a weekend in Atlanta in October to take in the Eggtoberfest. Pork roast is just a starting place.[p]Good Eggin' to You,
    Poppasam

• Sigmore
    Options
    ironclad, It's not an Egg Fest, but there will be Eggs there. The Dizzy Pig team will be there and that's their secret weapon. It is going to be at the Rockingham Drag strip. Just across the street from the now defunct North Carolina Motor Speedway. I lived there for about 35 years but have since hauled ass to Florida.

• Sigmore,
    That's funny! you hauled butt to Florida and I just retired here from Ft. Myers, Florida.[p]Is the speedway close ro Charlotte then? I am in the mountains near Bryson city and just off Fontana Lake.[p]Ironclad.

• Sigmore
    Options
    Ironclad, I've noticed that too. Floridians go to the mountains and the hillbillys head down south. The speedway is about 75 miles east of Charlotte.