Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table nest

Options
is the table nest on top the stone not needed? Too much egg stickin out of table?t on top the stone not needed? Too tall? 

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Having an air gap between the bottom of the egg and the table is a good idea. A stone is an added safety measure.  Unfortunately the egg is sitting high with that table design. Can the shelf be lowered without too much work?  Good luck. 
  • newegger169
    newegger169 Posts: 146
    Options
    No I would jus take paver out to lower the egg
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You can do that, but keep an eye on the wood underneath. @cazzy has some custom nests, but his table is discoloration underneath, or you could put something thinner like aluminum or sheet metal to protect against sparks/embers in case of a crack. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would not put the nest directly on the wood. Over time the heat will cause the wood to darken. If you have too much egg sticking up and still want to protect your wood you can do what I did. 

I put my nest on top of a piece of 3/6" steel plate. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    If you're worried about the height of the paver and still want some protection between the table nest and table you can you a square tile. I use a tile piece when setting the small or mini on a table 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    You could recess the stone in the shelf.  It would be a little bit of work but easier than moving the shelf height. 
  • newegger169
    Options
    Is anything needed under paver?
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    From the photo it looks like if you drop the egg much at all you might have trouble with the clearance in the hole
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Is anything needed under paver?
    I think the company line is "no," but should you develop a crack and a ember falls on the table during a low and slow whilst you are nice and cozy in your bed, do you want your table to burn to the ground?

i can stick my hand under my egg at nuclear temps, but no way am I exposing the wood underneath. Just not worth the risk. Search for house or table fires on the forum and decide for yourself. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Proser said:
    From the photo it looks like if you drop the egg much at all you might have trouble with the clearance in the hole
    100% agree with this
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have my nest on the table with no paver. I can hold my hand between the table and egg at 650F with no issues.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I will say it again, I have seen this again and again, the pavers and the steel plates are a detriment, not an asset. They do not allow the heat to dissipate. Furthermore, you cannot do a visual check on the condition because it is covered by the stone or plate. I believe these items conduct the heat rather than shield it.  Not a scientist, but I have seen it first hand. I would not have one. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I will say it again, I have seen this again and again, the pavers and the steel plates are a detriment, not an asset. They do not allow the heat to dissipate. Furthermore, you cannot do a visual check on the condition because it is covered by the stone or plate. I believe these items conduct the heat rather than shield it.  Not a scientist, but I have seen it first hand. I would not have one. 
    You may have an argument for carbon steel with a conductivity of 54 w/(m K) but concrete ranges from .1-1.8 light to dense respectively. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You may have an argument for carbon steel with a conductivity of 54 w/(m K) but concrete ranges from .1-1.8 light to dense respectively. 
    Damn. I hope I haven't screwed up. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @johnkitchens I wouldn't sweat it.  I can comfortably put my hand under my egg. Bring home an IR thermo and measure if it makes you more comfortable. I'm more worried about embers. 

For or reference aluminum is 205 W/(m K) and copper is 401  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @johnkitchens also, air is .024. That's where the real protection lies. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I will probably leave it as is. I seldom go over 600 degrees and when I do it is very brief. 

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Has anyone here measured the egg bottom temp with an infrared temp gun or even an old school thermometer ?  The ash collection chamber is an air space , which insulates from the firebox.  The nest gives you an extra air space, hence extra insulation.  If you don't have the nest, then I think it matters more to have a paver or tile to insulate, but @johnkitchens table is great because the metal plates protect the table against embers and hot drafts.  @newegger169 since you have the nest you can change the paver to a thinner tile or steel plate IMO if you really want the egg lower.  
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Chowman

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So, I invite @Ozzie_Isaac or @Jeepster47 to jump in as I haven't been  a practicing engineer in nearly 20 years, but by my math assuming a 3/16" metal plate and a static column of air (not real) of 18" square, your heat transfer at assumed egg bottom of 400F and  ambient temp of 80F your heat transfer is .2 BTU/S  @johnkitchens don't sweat it.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou you are correct for conductive heat transfer, but you have to account for the convective and radiative heat transfer too.

Both decrease rapidly as your distance increases.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My plate size is 22" if it matters. (I am sure it doesn't). I am no where near an engineer so I am no help at all. I am going to bring home an infrared thermometer the next time I cook and measure underneath. 

Jason I thought that you were a practicing engineer? 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    So, I invite @Ozzie_Isaac or @Jeepster47 to jump in as I haven't been  a practicing engineer in nearly 20 years, but by my math assuming a 3/16" metal plate and a static column of air (not real) of 18" square, your heat transfer at assumed egg bottom of 400F and  ambient temp of 80F your heat transfer is .2 BTU/S  @johnkitchens don't sweat it.  
    The charcoal burns @1300 I think. The charcoal can fall below the fire grate and burn right on the bottom and regularly does. I don't know the answer, but just saying. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    This thread is making me smarter...
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• newegger169
    Options
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    @theyolksonyou if you can still perform convection heat transfer calculations that might qualify you as still "practicing" lol. Nicely done !
    @johnkitchens your welcome, that's a beautiful looking dual table.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The charcoal burns @1300 I think. The charcoal can fall below the fire grate and burn right on the bottom and regularly does. I don't know the answer, but just saying. 
    Ok, either way, take the difference of the surface of the egg and the surface of the table and divide by 1538 and you have the conductive heat transfer. I'm not going to dig into radiant heat and convective heat because a. I'm lazy and 2. I know from experience I can touch the paver under my egg
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Why risk it?  Get a granite tile - 1/2" - and replace your paver.  That should buy you, what, maybe a gain of almost 2" from the paver?  A black granite tile, with the edges rounded and polished would be a nice look anyway.  You can probably buy the tile from HD, and then look around for a place that dresses tile.  Probably cost you another 10 bucks to round and polish the edges.

Good luck.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    Options
    I will look into this in a bit.  Helping kiddos with math and spelling.

How thick is the base of the egg and how high is the table nest?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @chowman if I did the research, I could do the math  the inter web is a beautiful tool.  Thanks for the compliment