Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter Died, Where Do I Get Mapp Torch?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lights a fire in a jiffy. 
    LOL - we used to have an egger from Canada who would chime in with pictures of the huge hedge row that he accidentally ignited with his weed eater attached to a 20# tank which then burnt down his unattached garage. In the end he trashed his "flame thrower". In other words be careful, my man...that thing is NOT a toy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @RRP - absolutely agree. Safety first.  My eggdom is uncovered,  on a stone patio,  many feet away from brick faced house or fence/shrubbery. Pool is not far away either.  Will hopefully be useful for putting a fire out,  besides the fire extinguisher :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had 2 weed burners and they have both gone janky in almost no time. May be user error but I'm telling you, for under a nickel you can light a fire with paper towell and veggie oil. I make them by the hundreds. I light my fireplace the same way. You would have to egg for 10 years to pay for a weed burner and propane tank. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I've had 2 weed burners and they have both gone janky in almost no time. May be user error but I'm telling you, for under a nickel you can light a fire with paper towell and veggie oil. I make them by the hundreds. I light my fireplace the same way. You would have to egg for 10 years to pay for a weed burner and propane tank. 
    Truth of the matter is during the Lenten season I accumulate a lot of used veggie oil that I then strain and save in squirt bottles. That makes the napkin/towel trick easy. BUT I HAVE A question! You said "you make them by the hundreds" which implies some form of storage and mass production. Right? Care to share? THANKS!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sure. I take a roll of Costco paper towels, unroll half of it, cut them all in half, put them in a gallon ziplog bag, pour in enough oil to pool up on the top towel, seal the bag, put a plate on top and let sit overnight. It takes 5-10 minutes. 

Costco paper towels are perforated in roughly 1/3 of normal towels so when you cut them i half, they are small squares
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Weedburner has been going strong for 5years now. And I probably just jinxed it. Tried the paper towel +oil thing and was not as impressed. But I may have not used enough oil. 

Do folks usually light the lump from the top or below with the paper towel method? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    caliking said:
    Weedburner has been going strong for 5years now. And I probably just jinxed it. Tried the paper towel +oil thing and was not as impressed. But I may have not used enough oil. 

Do folks usually light the lump from the top or below with the paper towel method? 
    Top. I just cover it up with a small pile of well-aerated lump and it's off and running in 10 minutes. 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    vegetable oil and paper towel, works great
    This is the only way.
    +1 Works the best ,tried everything else.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've only used starter cubes. Tried the paper towel method once but the damn thing went out and I haven't tried it again since. Maybe I didn't use enough oil like @caliking
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Your Looftlighter carries a 2yr warranty. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Mapp 5300 F vs Propoane 3700 F 
    right from bernzomatic,  we don't use it with the oxygen bottle.

"Fuel Uses

Oxy / MAP-Pro™: Flame temperature in air is 5,200 degrees F. Ideal for: Cutting and welding iron and steel, when you don't need a sharp flame like an oxy-acetylene torch. Oxygen and MAP-Pro™ Premium Torch Fuel cylinders and a specialty oxy-fuel torch are needed.

MAP-Pro™: Flame temperature in air is 3,730 degrees F. Ideal for soldering larger size copper pipes, brazing, heat-treating. Higher flame temperature and better combustion intensity allows tasks to be completed more quickly. Choose a torch specially designed for MAP-Pro™ fuel.

Propane: Flame temperature in air is 3,600 degrees F. Ideal for soldering copper pipes, heating frozen pipes and rusted nuts, softening paint and other low-heat DIY projects. A self-igniting torch is safer and more reliable than a spark. Pick a wide flame for most applications which don't need pinpoint-type heat."

One thing with these torches when lighting lump, the lump can spark at you a bit.  It's because of the moisture in the lump.  Some lumps spark more than others.  I find more sparking in the cheaper lumps, like mesquite from south of the US border.   So when using the torch on any lump, best to protect your eyes and check your clothing for holes with real sparky lump.   Lump produced in the summer will have more moisture than lump produced in the winter, so more sparking potential in summer vs winter.

RRP, remember eggor's torch shield.   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • greenenvy
    greenenvy Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options

Picked this one up last time it was $40 and couldn't be happier:

Dewalt

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    I've only used starter cubes. Tried the paper towel method once but the damn thing went out and I haven't tried it again since. Maybe I didn't use enough oil like @caliking

or too much oil. You want them kind of clear/shiny but not really dripping or wet to the touch. They are great and only pennies a piece. 
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    its 54 bucks for the benzomatic map torch at HD and lowes - Very expensive.  wish it would go onsale!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I really like my map torch but my eggs are on a deck so the sparks concern me.  Maybe it is because I'm using royal oak :)...but I have had some big ol poppers during lighting that I had to stomp out.  

I went back to using oil and paper towels after my last map tank kicked.  If your eggs are not on a deck then I would say go for it but if you make some up ahead of time like Centex showed then why not.  The other benefit is while a map is still faster you do have to hold the torch on it for a while.  You can throw a oil napkin on the egg and go do something else while it gets ready. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• islanderegger
    Options
    FWIW I really like my map torch but my eggs are on a deck so the sparks concern me.  Maybe it is because I'm using royal oak :)...but I have had some big ol poppers during lighting that I had to stomp out.  

I went back to using oil and paper towels after my last map tank kicked.  If your eggs are not on a deck then I would say go for it but if you make some up ahead of time like Centex showed then why not.  The other benefit is while a map is still faster you do have to hold the torch on it for a while.  You can throw a oil napkin on the egg and go do something else while it gets ready. 
    This exactly!
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    I still use 2 oz of 91% rubbing alcohol let it soak about 20 seconds and light it. Up to temp in about 15 mins never fails.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Searzall manufacturer specifically states NOT to use with MAPP.  Only 16.4oz propane camping tank is "recommended".

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Wooly Swampman
    Options
    I second having a heat gun. I used one for 2 years, about 3 cooks/ week and not near as expensive as Looft
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Already had 2 MAPP torches for work. They are quick and it wasn't a purchase I had to make just to lite my lump.  I'd go with the oil and paper towel if I didn't already have the torches like @The Cen-Tex Smoker  said as it is cheap and very effective. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Weed burner for Larges and Mini-Max. Mapp for Mini only. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.