Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide sale - Sur la Table has the Sansaire

Options
Although I have ANOVA, the Sansaire immersion circulator has many good reviews, Sur La Table has a sale price of $169.96 with free shipping.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1541135/Sansaire+Sous-Vide+Immersion+Circulator 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is that in 'merican?. I blew out my budget on the Polyscience but would like another one for vegetables.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'm in **** it! Thanks for the heads up
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Is that in 'merican?. I blew out my budget on the Polyscience but would like another one for vegetables.
    Yep - the $$ worth 125% of ours, and you need a US ship to. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

grege345 said:
    I'm in **** it! Thanks for the heads up
    Use of the Trés Booblay is a game changer, Enjoy. 
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Anova just responded with a $25.00 off sale as well.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    billybon said:

Don't you just love it when suppliers actually try to earn your business? 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I had to bail. Wife says she wants a vitamix and I can't argue. Hope it comes around again. Thanks for posting
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I had to bail. Wife says she wants a vitamix and I can't argue. Hope it comes around again. Thanks for posting
    Picked up a Vitamix about 18 months ago, very nice for soups and puree, but you know, after the first couple of months of almost constant use, it sits on the shelf for a week or two sometimes without being used. The ANOVA is used at least 3 times a week. Hope you use yours more than we use ours. 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I'll be picking up a Sansaire on the way home from work today. Was going to make gyros tonight but may have to get a couple steaks.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I'll be picking up a Sansaire on the way home from work today. Was going to make gyros tonight but may have to get a couple steaks.
    Good way to break in a Trés Booblay machine. I used reverse sear for a couple of years, SWMBO likes hers more to the medium well, me to medium rare. Was  easy to throw her’s onto the egg 10-15 minutes before mine. Using sous vide it was harder to get hers more to well done during the CI skillet or torch sear without either cooking it to a cinder or lowering the heat and taking longer, flipping more frequently. Finally, she declared that having read about sous vide, she was happy the meat was safe to eat and she did not mind it on the pink side. Victory, after 44 years of marriage. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    billybon said:

Is there a consensus as to whether the Sansaire or Anova is better? Look pretty similar and not a lot of difference in price.
    Is the build quality about the same? Features?
    South SLO County
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    None thatI’m aware of. ANOVA has at least three types, the Precision (compares to Sansaire) the ANOVA One and a Pro. I have the One and it has worked very well. @nolaegghead had a problem with his ANOVA One, not sure what happened. I have a friend who had a nightmare with Polyscience - the grand master of sous vide - went through three units before he got one that worked. Paying more does not always guarantee the best result. 
    I like the screw claim on the ANOVA’s vs the spring clamp on the Sansaire. The Precision will also tether to a smart phone, don’t know about the Sansaire. 
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Although I have ANOVA, the Sansaire immersion circulator has many good reviews, Sur La Table has a sale price of $169.96 with free shipping.

I haven't embraced Sous Vide yet, and now they tell me there's something new...
    (looks like an expensive George Forman grill to me) You can check it out at...

cindercooks.com

Cinder Sensing Cooker
    Sous vide is a culinary revelation, allowing you to precisely, perfectly cook foods with little effort on your part. The Cinder Sensing Cooker promises similar results without the water. Using an 1800 Watt enclosed stainless steel cooking chamber and two non-stick aluminum cooking plates loaded with sensors it can achieve — and maintain — the precise temperature needed to cook whatever it is you're eating. You control the action with a dial on the front or with the companion app, the latter of which can notify you when your food is ready. You can then hold it at that temperature for up to two hours, and simply hit a button when you're ready to sear it and serve, freeing you up to work on sides, sauces, or just relax.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Skiddymarker said: Victory, after 44 years of marriage. 
    congrats, I'm still trying after 35!
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @UncleFred - saw this last week on local weekend news show. The Cinder is a smart flat top, IMO, may have a use in the pantry - but not sure yet. 
    Will admit, sous vide has been the biggest change since buying the egg. Carrots and sprouts are among our favourite veggies and SWMBO likes chicken breast done at 145º for a couple of hours, drains it shreds it and into Greek or Mexican wraps. 
    With SV, you can really change the texture of the food - not always to the better. Ribs done over 24 hours and then browned for an hour are really different, SWMBO likes them, but I'm old school. 
    @Canugghead - Thanks, never thought I would see the day she would chow down on a medium rare steak. The APL board dressing also adds to the success, I'm just taking all the credit!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I got the Sansaire unit . .  easy to use and quality seems good.  

I have nailed chicken & root veges . . . but fail with Eggs and fail with Steak.  I cant blame the sansaire though, I gots much to learn about SV still.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Skiddymarker
    edited March 2015
    Options
    NDG said:
    I got the Sansaire unit . .  easy to use and quality seems good.  

I have nailed chicken & root veges . . . but fail with Eggs and fail with Steak.  I cant blame the sansaire though, I gots much to learn about SV still.
    @NDG - great thing about cooking, we all never stop learning. For eggs, assume you mean in the shell, water in the bag to just surround the eggs, that way they sink, some times I add marbles to sink the bag. Eggs in the bath at 70ºC (158)F) for soft boiled and at 81ºC (178ºF) for hard boiled, bubble time of about 80 minutes (60 minimum and 90 maximum)
    Steak, set the bath at 125 for medium rare, don’t go longer than 3 hours, dry the surface when you remove from the bag and CI sear in butter. Board sauce adds the flavour.  
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Thanks Skiddy . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I picked up the sansaire on Monday. Did bottom round steak(London broil). Best one I ever did. Yesterday I did some real lean boneless chops. Couldn't believe how juciy they were. I can't wait to cold smoke some bigger meats for bit then throw in the sansaire for while. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I picked up the sansaire on Monday. Did bottom round steak(London broil). Best one I ever did. Yesterday I did some real lean boneless chops. Couldn't believe how juciy they were. I can't wait to cold smoke some bigger meats for bit then throw in the sansaire for while. 
    I did a brisket this way for the Superbowl.  It turned out pretty nice.  I didn't have my Amaze-N-Smoker at the time, which would have allowed me to do a true cold smoke, so that cook was really a cool smoke (less that 200 F) for 2.75 hours, and then Sous Vide for 48 hrs.  Still turned out nice, though IMHO.  (FWIW I did post the particulars in the forum.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @mahenryak - yes you did post a SV trip with a brisket, on my bookmarked list. So many techniques and not enough meals in the day!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176748/sous-vide-brisket-flat-for-super-bowl#latest