Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smoker Help

Options
I received the A-Maze-N-Smoker 5x8 for Christmas. I just now decided to try to smoke some cheese since the air is cold and dreary today. I am using their A-Maze-N Smoker pellets and packed them in the tray. Cleaned out Egg and put the tray at the bottom of the Egg, underneath the plate setter with grid above the PS. Directions say to light the pellets for 45 seconds and then keep the flame going for 10 minutes.

First attempt - I lit the pellets (butane torch) through the hole on the tray outside of the Egg. I  could not keep the flame going for 10 minutes. Tried a few times and best I got was around 4. It was putting out some smoke so I went ahead and put it in the Egg. I got about 50 minutes with that and then it stopped. Took out the tray, lit it again and had similar results with both the flame (3-4 minutes at best) and smoke stopping around 40 minutes.

Second attempt - read up on the internet and got some tips from others from previous threads. This time, I preheated the pellets in the oven for 20 minutes at 275, lit the pellets in the smoker tray and let the flame go. Actually went to the garage (door open) to see if I could block the elements from blowing out the flame and it worked as I was able to get 10 minutes. Had about 2 inches of smoldering pellets. Blew out the flame put it in the Egg (same config). Seemed to be rocking along but noticed at just over an hour it was out again. 

Frustrated! Any other ideas or tips that have been successful for others??

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @tdub4 I just used mine for the first time this weekend and followed pretty much the same procedure as you, except for a few differences that I will note.  First, I placed the pellets while inside the Amaze-N-Smoke tray inside the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.  Second, I was not using the stock pellets, but instead had ordered CookinPellets from Amazon at the same time I placed the order for my Amaze-N Pellet Smoker.  Here is the link to the pellets I used.  I did not want to use the hickory for my cheese smoke.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819OICI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For what it's worth, I lit mine inside the egg itself and it burned not only for the 1.5 hours for my cheese smoke, but then an additional two hours for my protein smoke with no re-lighting or anything.  I used a weed eater propane torch on a very low setting to ignite.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    Options
    I should add that it was still going strong when I removed it from the Egg after the 2 hours of protein smoke.  I separated the pellets so it would burn out on its own after removing from Egg so that I could begin cooking the protein.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @tdub4 ... I had the same issues. Could not keep the pellets smoking. 
    But, placed the pellets in the oven @ 250 for 30 minutes. Filled the A-Maze-N-Smoker tray & held the torch for a good 60 seconds. Let it get to smoking for another 5 minutes. Placed it on the XLBGE Grate, everything wide open. 
    Wa-La... smoked for the 3+ hour duration I needed.
    Oven dry your pellets is the key with a good clean start. 
    Keep trying, you'll get it right.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use traeger pellets and mine has never gone out once. I don't bake the pellets. Everyone I see that has issues seem to be using the AMS pellets. Could be coincidence but something to consider. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks all. Maybe the trick is different pellets.

@Durangler I did heat them in the oven at 275 for 20 minutes outside of the AMS tray. I see that @mahenryak heated them inside the tray. Will need to give it another go...I just wish I would have practiced before putting the cheese on! That is expensive!

Along those lines...where do you guys get your cheese and what kind do you like with which flavor of wood?
  • Durangler
    Options
    I use traeger pellets and mine has never gone out once. I don't bake the pellets. Everyone I see that has issues seem to be using the AMS pellets. Could be coincidence but something to consider. 
    Possibly. The pellets I received were the standard issue with the discounted kit I purchased.
    Cheapo pellets??
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Agree with The Cen-Tex Smoker, Traeger works great for me too.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Durangler
    Options

tdub4 said:
    ..where do you guys get your cheese and what kind do you like with which flavor of wood?
    Tillamook cheese from most grocers. Cheddar, Sharp & Xtra sharp. Jack & pepper jack. Any hard cheese will smoke, Softer cheeses & butters need more attention.
    Cherry, apple, hickory. Your decision.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Possibly. The pellets I received were the standard issue with the discounted kit I purchased.
    Cheapo pellets??
    I got some free ones too but they got wet and I never used them. The tracer pellets are actually way cheaper but they do seem to work better. This is all just observation so I could be wrong but it does seem that everyone that uses the free pellets that come wit are having Susie with it staying lit. 
  • mahenryak
    Options

@tdub4 FYI

• mahenryak
    Options
    The pictures above were after about 3.5 - 4 hours of smoke.

• tdub4
    Options
    Yea, mine definitely didn't do that!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    The pictures above were after about 3.5 - 4 hours of smoke.
    I get 14 hrs every time with mine. I really like it. A lot. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have AMS pellets, never baked, and had no problem keeping it lit. Followed @Henapple's original tutorial.  Go figure.

FWIW, I smoked cheese for 2 hours, it was too smoky for my taste, even 6 months later.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have AMS pellets, never baked, and had no problem keeping it lit. Followed @Henapple's original tutorial.  Go figure.

FWIW, I smoked cheese for 2 hours, it was too smoky for my taste, even 6 months later.

Yeah, I did 90 minutes based on a couple of recommendations and used a blended pellet mix that I found courtesy of reviews on Amazon.  I'm going to let it sit for about four weeks.  I'll try to remember to report back when I sample it.   First time trying this.

• tdub4
    Options
    I am the OP on this one and thought I would update the thread (and close the loop). 

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to light the pellets (instructions recommend 10 minutes of flame before blowing it out - I was only able to sustain it for a few minutes) and, subsequently, a long lasting smoke, I called the A-Maze-N company. 

I was using only cherry pellets from the AMNS company, and was told that cherry is one of the harder woods to really get a good burn going to kick things off. The recommendation was to mix it with other wood on the bottom of the tray (~50/50), like maple or hickory, and top it off with the cherry. I did that and, lo and behold, it worked. I was able to get 10 minutes of flame and 5 hours from 1-1/2 rows of pellets. The flame did go out on its own once during the 10 minute run (about 5 minutes in) but I hit it with the flame and it immediately came back. 

Today I picked up some apple pellets (Traeger - my store was out of the AMNS brand for apple) to try out as I would like to do some smoked deviled eggs for Easter tomorrow. I only did Apple pellets...no mix. Worked without an issue. Going on 2 hours now and it is through a little over 1/2 of one row. 

So, I am optimistic, I may have things worked out and will now "smoke on"!
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Same with mine. Threw away a lot if cheese. It never mellowed 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin