Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be a silly question, but I am unclear whether the Egg top should be closed or open when searing a steak (e.g., in the TRex method). Obviously it needs to be closed when you are bringing it up to searing temperatures, but do you then leave it open when you put the steak on the grill grate or skillet?[p]Thanks,[p]JimD

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    JimD,
    Leave the dome closed when searing.......

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    JimD,
    Leave the top closed and the daisy wide open or completly off to get the hottest temps.LOl on your next sear. Tom

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]....and don't wear a polyester shirt!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    JimD,
    ive done it both ways and find it easier to sear with the dome open. the important thing is when flipping or turning the steak, move the steak onto an area of grill thats still hot, not just flip it over in place. you get better grill lines that way. if your using a skillet, heat it up with the egg coming to temps.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    JimD,[p]I do it with the dome closed. I used a cast iron pan last time. Got the pan to 697 (infrared thermometer) and added the fillets. Wow, did it smoke.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]Thats way too hot. Next time try to level it off at 692°. cca1cab6.gif[p]Just curious, as if I needed another toy, how much do the IR's cost? Can it be used for cruising for "hot" chicks??[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]That's funny, thanks! :-)[p]The ir's are about $90 from Fantes.com. Could be cheaper elsewhere. It has a laser pointer too. Scared the poop out of the night shift at the paint ball company down in the canyon. I was just seeing how far it would go and I guess they thought it was a laser sight. Didn't know their business until after that. I’m a certified gadget freak, so I couldn't live with out it once I saw it. [p]Yes, you can cruise hot chicks with it too. I've taken it to the bar several times. Some of them are flattered by taking their posterior temperature while others are offended. So, you can certainly tell which ones are “fun” and which are not. ;-)
    [ul][li]Infrared thermometer at Fantes[/ul]
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    JimD,[p]Leave it open. I used to leave it closed, but for the split second I could handle the heat and look down into the egg from the top, you can see the flames swirling around the outer edge. When you leave the egg open, the flames come up the middle and engulf your steak from all sides. I find this gives a better char and when your dealing with a 2" steak, it helps cook the fat strip on the side of the steak.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    JimD,
    I like to leave it open. When it's that hot, opening and closing makes me a little nervous. I know there aren't supposed to be any flashes with the vents wide open but the heat sure comes out in a hurry when the dome is only open part way, and all that heat is aiming right at me. Open.[p]Joyce

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I've had a flash with my draft door wide open and no daisy wheel. Scared the crap out of me![p]E

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JimD,
    i find everything is more predicatbale when closed.
    plus, the flue action is what gets the lump really roaring.[p]i also find that when the dome is closed, i don't get too much free O2, noly what's coming from below. and that means i don't get any flare-ups from dripping fat, like with a rib-eye.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I'll bet--you're really not expecting it with all that ventilation. I didn't get the flash but, believe it or not, I heard a sound that made me respect that fire a ton. I was opening the dome on about a 900 degree fire and that fire talked to me--said it was about to take off I swear to God. [p]The reality-based version is that I heard a sound kind of like the sound you make blowing across the top of a bottle. A little more subtle and a little deeper in pitch, but that kind of sound. The dome was open about 2" and it sounded like the fire was taking a big, deep baritone breath. Shut the lid and tried again--same thing. On the third try, it wasn't talking anymore so I opened it further and it was fine. I don't know if it would have gone extra-large on me, but that sound spooked me more than a little.[p]J
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Well I have adopted the "Burp the baby" motto. All the time. Every time. I even do it for low and slow.[p]E
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I just received a new Garret Wade catalog which is a source of really cool tools for tool nuts like me. Anyway on page 14-15 they have an Infra-red pistol style thermometer which is $10 more than the one sold by Fantes, but the range and accuracy sounds better. For instance at up to 8 feet away it measures a range of -58 to +1,000 degrees with an accuracy of 2%. That compares to 0 to 932 from Fantes, which doesn't show its accuracy which HAS to be some range!
    This is a new product for Garrett Wade and is not listed in their on-line catalog version, but see below how to request a hard copy one. I have no vested interest, but if you really are thinking about spending the money, then why not see what else is out there? Besides for tool-heads like me it's a fun read!

[ul][li]to order a Garret Wade catalog[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ & RPR[p]Hey guys thanks for the info. They look like fun toys. Several of my clients use them but those models are calibrated to NBS specs and not really affordable for home or saloon use.[p]By the way, I sort of put the "M" in monogamy and have a wife and best friend of 27 years. Fortunately, I also have a seventh grade sense of humor.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery