Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harbor Freight Cast Iron Pans

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any words of wisdom on this stuff. I got the email on the semi-annual sidewalk sale and found these while snooping. I'm thinking....remove the handles and keep em just for egging. With the price not sure how one can go wrong. T
[ul][li]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44707[/ul]

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I've always used the cheapo cast iron pans. I too cut the handle off. They work just fine and have for years. However, I'm not sure what it's like to cook with a quality one so it could be much better.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Wow, that is freaking cheap. Thanks for posting. I never even looked around for cast iron pan prices since the Lodge ones are like $15-20 on amazon, so I always figured that was cheap enough. For $10, I don't think you can go wrong and if you do, it's only $10.
  • Morning Sandbagger:[p]Hey Tom, thanks for the link. Like you said, at that price how can you go wrong. I just ordered the set, but I doubt if they get here before the Ocala EggFest! Oh well, I'll find a time to use them anyway. See you next weekend.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

• NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]After you remove the handle how do you move it about? I have wanted to get a cast iron pan for the egg, but wasn't sure about it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Here's a series of pictures of what I did to 3 Lodge ones I did for Blue Smoke and myself. I'm not knocking Harbor Freight as I have bought things from them before, but I realize quality control is not in the first 20 requirements of their vendors/manufacturers. For the few more bucks these Lodges from Amazon were worth it to me. Anyway here's the griddle:
    IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

[p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    IMG_0487.jpg
    <p />ncegger,
    I just use either sets of these gloves or shorties. You can work with hotter items for a longer time with these than you can with just rawhide welders' gloves.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    ncegger, what RRP said, I figure the handle in the egg will just be a hassle to deal with. Sooooo, out of here. T

• RRP
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    My computer was giving me fits and I couldn't open the H F site when I posted my pixs of the griddle. Now that I can I see you are talking about 3 pans for $10. Heck - go for it!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d5bc60e4.jpg
    <p />Sandbagger, RPR and others,[p]A couple of questions: 1. What are you using the skillets for? Searing steaks or baking things like cornbread?? 2. Cutting off the handle like RPR showed looks like the way to go. How about a homemade bail? I've been toying with this idea. All it would take is two precise holes to maintain balance.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    Options
    IMG_0191.jpg
    <p />thirdeye, the precise placement of holes thus balancing it might be a bit of a task due to the mound cast to support the handle if you look closely. Sure it could be ground off, but even then the food may not let it balance. Heck, I think I'll leave it as is. As for use - same as any griddle inculding fried eggs and bacon once! otherwise searing is great with it. Now if we can just get BlueSmokes' attention he can tell you about the personal pizzas he makes on his.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]I was mainly thinking of ease of moving it when hot.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger,
    They have a 11 1/2 skillet for $4.99 at the freight too it is huge. going to get one this weekend
    I do tool repair also besides painting, That place is like my second home. some really good deals.
    David

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    RRP,Had this thought while looking at what you had done. Has anyone tried using the camp dutch oven lid? They are made to invert and cook on. If the little lifting loop would fit the grate and you can buy just the lid.[p]Good Eggin' to You'
    Poppasam

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for thinking of me. Actually, it's an idea I picked up from Charles from SC at last year's Florida EggFest. Lightly oil, or spray with nonstick spray, the griddle and heat it to 400 degrees. Toss on a flour tortilla, and when it starts to puff take it off. Spread a smigeon of pizza sauce (homemade is best, commercial jarred works fine), and the pizza toppings of choice. Return the finished "pizza" to the griddle just until the cheese starts to get oozy. (Only 2 minutes or so, depending on the amount of toppings.)[p]This makes for a great "top it yourself" porch or pool party.[p]Ken

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I remember those personal pizzas. It was fun to watch Charles in SC cook them, too. They looked great. We were all cooking down at the same end of the pavilion. You & Diana, Tonia & Larry (who were kind enough to let me use their eggs), Jay (who was kind enough to let me use his brand new egg (and wasn't there to object)) and Charles.[p]Do you remember breakfast? You and Diana had a couple of good looking casseroles going and I had a casserole going on QBabe and Larry's large. By the time you have a clean burning fire and cook a casserole for 45 minutes, some hungry folks are standing around with paper plates. There was quite a line and those casseroles were gone in, what, 10 minutes? [p]So my thoughts for those attending fests this year: if you want the pleasure of seeing your food thoroughly enjoyed by hungry masses, cook breakfast![p]I won't be at the FLA fest this time--you all have a great time![p]Joyce

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Trouble:[p]Hey Joyce, thanks for getting my egg going last year. Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it again next week. Call me silly, but I am getting another large again this year only this time I'll be there from Friday evening to make sure I'm the one that starts the new egg life properly.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• NCEgger
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]We did this for the Super Bowl, but we just used the pizza stone. My wife and I prefer thin crust pizzas anyway. They were the hit of the party. I got the idea trying to recreate the Palomino's pizza.
  • NCEgger
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Okay, now for my next question. How do you cut off the handle? I am assuming a hacksaw with a metallic blade.
  • Sandbagger,
    I just got back from buying that 3 pc set site unseen. Got home, opened the box and thought to myself, I have sent more on less.
    I think these pans are great! Already have tons of plans for them. Yep, I think they are worth 10 bucks.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    SSN686,[p]You are a lucky guy. I'd love to have another egg, but not another large...a small, I think, for those afternoons and evenings where I just want to throw on a couple of steaks. I'll have to go next year to pick one up.[p]Glad you get to start the inaugural burn.[p]Great day back atchya.[p]Joyce
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    barbqr-Ken, I picked up the three piece set today and found a 15 inch gonzo pan for $8.99. It measures 15.675" OD, weighs 14.85 lbs, is 2.25" deep and the model # is 44708. I am going to cut the handle off and see if it fits inside the fire ring which, if momory serves me, is 16 inches ID. Tom
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Just bought these yesterday.  With 20% off coupon they were $16.  They are unseasoned.  They are gray.  I followed the Martha Stewart seasoning technique.  I used my gas grill instead of the oven due to the smoke from the oil burning.  They are more of a brownish color now. I read where it takes multiple seasonings for cast iron to get that black color.  Is that everyone's experience?  If these things pan out at all, they are a steal at $16 for a 10,8,and 6 inch skillet.  Funny, my free gift was a blue work light, which is ironically the exact same light that came with my smokeware big green egg light, so now I have a backup in case my smokeware one fails
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Haha. You revived a 10 year old thread. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    But it brought back fond memories.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Haha. You revived a 10 year old thread. 
    Haha.  I wish more people asking for lump recommendations would search for old threads.
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    I lopped most of the handle off a Lodge skillet and use it as a lifetime lasting drip pan.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    NCEgger said:
    Sandbagger,[p]After you remove the handle how do you move it about? I have wanted to get a cast iron pan for the egg, but wasn't sure about it.
    This is what I use to remove a hot CI pan from my Egg.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX