Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter Died, Where Do I Get Mapp Torch?

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Well I loved my Looftlighter but sadly I have joined the ranks of those who have experienced failures. What's my best bet for a Mapp torch?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got mine from Home Depot. This is the one I have. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS8000KC-Premium-Torch-Kit-336638/205683985

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Big box home store like lowes or HD or Amazon. I have one that is a weed torch that I like because it keeps me out of the sparks. Benzomatic 19425

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    My Looflighter is 15 months old and probably close to the end of its life per the threads I've seen posted.  Some users have bought a heat gun, but I'm not sure if it's as good as the Looflighter.  I may try the heat gun before I go the Mapp torch route.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have a heat gun. I like it, but I am using my Mapp torch because I don't have to plug it in. Quick and easy. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I bought this at Home Depot. I really like the hose and trigger igniter. Never have to tip the bottle. It's awesome.
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-BZ8250HTKC-Map-Pro-Hose-Torch-Kit-331665/203391035/
  • islanderegger
    Options
    vegetable oil and paper towel, works great
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    +1 for the hose! Mine is an older model, needing a scratch lighter to fire it but it works fine for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    This is the only way.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    This is the only way.
    Wish I'd known it was the only way before I used the starter cubes, electric element and MAPP torch... Guess those fires weren't good enough. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Nothing against the Map torch (as I have not tried it).  Love the Looftlighter and replaced mine after two years.  Came out to around .20 per light.  Worth it to me..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have the Map torch from Home Depot and really like it.  Lights the egg, and makes short work of starting a fire in the fireplace!  When the day comes that I need to sweat a pipe joint, it will handle that too,  I have had mine 14 months, use a couple of times a week, and am still on the first cylinder.

I did a cook at my Egg dealers last fall, they only had starter cubes to light the lump, I felt crippled and stalled.  Will take my own torch in the future.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I have a $8 electric charcoal starter, a MAPP torch, and a Looftlighter, have also tried alcohol and veg oil paper towels...I keep going back to the good old electric charcoal starter.  I don't get the looftlighter, maybe mine is bad but it is pretty slow, one of these days I'm going to crack it open and hard wire it so I don't have to hold that button down and give it another shot.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

I use a propane torch, anyone know how much better MAP torch is?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Thumper169
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Good question, I'd like to know this answer as well.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Not much and it's way more expensive. My torch uses both but I always buy propane because of the cost. I light my eggs with paper towels soaked in veg oil but I use the torch to light those. Cuz it's cool :smiley: 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Propane is $3 and Mapp is $10. It's not that much hotter. I Do use it to sear food after the SV but for anything longer than a few seconds I use propane. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    Propane is $3 and Mapp is $10. It's not that much hotter. I Do use it to sear food after the SV but for anything longer than a few seconds I use propane. 

Thanks, I always wondered if it was worth the extra cost.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Propane can spit or flame out with the bottle upside down, map won't.   Map is about 200 degrees hotter, not that important for what we use it for.   Map is yellow bottle and basically a buck more than propane.  Map bottle will last a long time.

model TS4000 torch is basically all one needs as it has an electronic start, constant flame button and handles both propane and map.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I have the Harbor Freight weed eater torch.  Compatible with 20 lb propane tank.  Long enough hose and using 20 lb tank, so obviously no worries about upside down bottle.  I've only had it for a little while but so far I'm very happy with it.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP
    Options
    The other safety note of concern is that a torch head made to use MAPP can also use the lower grade propane, BUT a propane torch should NOT use the hotter MAPP.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    tjv said:
    EGGjlmh said:

Propane can spit or flame out with the bottle upside down, map won't.   Map is about 200 degrees hotter, not that important for what we use it for.   Map is yellow bottle and basically a buck more than propane.  Map bottle will last a long time.

model TS4000 torch is basically all one needs as it has an electronic start, constant flame button and handles both propane and map.

t

That's what I have.  Got it at HD for around $40.  I've only used propane through it just based on cost and never had any problem at all.  I light in three places for about 20-30 seconds each and works great.

And while propane is certainly less expensive ($3 to $10 for MAPP as someone mentioned), these canisters go a long way.  Mine usually last 4-6 months cooking 3-4 times a week on average.  So cost is really minimal either  way.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

Thanks, I always wondered if it was worth the extra cost.
    It is higher but my MAPP canister lasts about a year so the extra isn't significant.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    i use a weber chimney with 1 piece of news paper... much less expensive 
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    RRP said:
    The other safety note of concern is that a torch head made to use MAPP can also use the lower grade propane, BUT a propane torch should NOT use the hotter MAPP.

Ron I remember you giving that advice a while back which I didn't know at the time.  So.......What would happen?.......Poof???  Just curious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Heat gun works great.
  • RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    RRP said:

Ron I remember you giving that advice a while back which I didn't know at the time.  So.......What would happen?.......Poof???  Just curious
    You can Google the question and I see many sites that are dated, but they still are the most freguently hit. Here's one for instance.
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100530193453AAyaWVP
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    If I'm doing a direct cook, I start with the weber chimney. Gives a big fire quick. Otherwise use the map torch
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    Thanks RRP, kinda disappointing, its just melts, no POOF.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I have the Harbor Freight weed eater torch.  Compatible with 20 lb propane tank.  Long enough hose and using 20 lb tank, so obviously no worries about upside down bottle.  I've only had it for a little while but so far I'm very happy with it.
    This.  Sign up and you'll get a 20% off coupon in no time. Lights a fire in a jiffy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Mapp 5300 F vs Propoane 3700 F 
    McKinney, TX