Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4lb Boneless Butt = Pulled Pork?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife mistakenigly bought a 4lb boneless butt. I was wondering how this will work for pulled pork? I usually buy 7-10lb bone in's and the cook is usually between 16 to 20 hours @ 225ish.[p]Can I expect both a reduced cook time (if so, approx how long) and or subpar quality pulled pork due to the size/lack of bone? (it has a fat cap)

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Spicoli,[p]While I've ever done one that small, I'd guess it would take about the same per pound. So, that would make it an 8 hour cook at the most and about 6 hours the fastest.[p]Of course there is always Posole. It can be made on the egg. Really good for hang overs too.
    [ul][li]Posole (Pozole)[/ul]
  • alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Spicoli,
    Boneless cook a little faster but are just as good IMO. The bone provides a little more flavoring but Im sure you'll be really pleased. Cook it fat cap side up as to let teh fat render into the meat. Id give it about 8 hours 225* with an hour sest wrapped in a cooler.
    Good luck
    j

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Spicoli,[p]I do these all the time as there are just 4 of us at home. (Counting the dog.) I'd figure somewhere between 8 to 10 hours tops at 225°. The way my luck has been running lately, and especially if it has to be done at a certain time, I'd use the 10 hour figure. You can always pull it off the Egg, wrap in foil and towels and stash it in a cooler if it's early.[p]Hmm, maybe I need to pull the one in the freezer out for Sunday's dinner....[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO