Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steaks For A Friend On His Basic BGE Set-up - Help Needed

Options
I have become really good at the reverse sear and that it my go to steak method.  Flying to a friends house tomorrow who has the basic set-up.  Won't have my AR or Spider so I am thinking that I will go direct around 600 and just cook the steaks that way unless someone has any other suggestions.  I am getting him a Thermapen as a gift so I have the temp issue covered.  Ideas are welcome - Do  not know what steaks are on the menu.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @flynnbob-with aBGE and a thermapen what can go wrong???  You've got this. You may want to lure him to the forum-the more the merrier.  Safe travels and enjoy the eats!  With the the thermapen you have to work to miss the finish temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    T-Rex? Works great on steaks about 1.5-1.75 inches thick IMHO
    South SLO County
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's how I have doing my large steaks for years now.

I prefer to use a type of Sous Vide more commonly called Hot Tubbing on this board. At least 1 hour before you plan to egg the meat submerge the meat still sealed in the plastic bag into a container of hot water from the tap. The desired temp of the water should be checked from time to time during the hour and should be over 100 degrees. I find my tap water runs about 125 degrees. I also find that I have to change the water at least 3 to 4 times in that hour. OTOH if you use a small cooler with a tight lid I find I can go over an hour with no need to refill.

In the meantime fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes per side or even less and the cooking is done! You are better off using a Thermapen rather than time, but I mention the time for ready reference. This method will give you a nice rare steak and will assure the meat is warm inside, not dark purple and cold common to steaks cooked rare.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    hapster said:
    Go caveman and knock his socks off
    +1  no special equipment.

Or just don't over think it.  Leave the TP in the box and go hot as heck, three min a side.  Four min a side if they want it more grey than pink.  

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    PLUS 1 TO ABOVE....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are forced to cook direct at the standard grid level, then I recommend the Weber Way. Heat the egg to around 500 and throw them on. Flip every 30 seconds to avoid scorching. It's not a fancy method but it works and works well. Just keep flipping them until you hit the desired level of doneness. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks, Folks.  I think that I will go a little hotter than I was thinking and keep watching them. I will let you know how it works out and I will try and get a new forum member.  I have been pretty busy lately and haven't posted much but y'all know that tune....
    Milton, GA.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    flynnbob said:
     I have been pretty busy lately and haven't posted much but y'all know that tune....
    I feel your pain brother. Been busy myself. Went back to work on 12-15-14 (My 50th Birthday). Only had off Christmas Day. Haven't cooked or posted in almost 3 months. It sucks!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Caveman is impressive, but I'm with RRP. Water bath to just below target temp, then sear, either on grid or in CI pan. Actually, egg is optional. Too quick to matter. CI on stovetop is fine. But...........  :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• flynnbob
    Options
    SGH said:
    flynnbob said:
     I have been pretty busy lately and haven't posted much but y'all know that tune....
    I feel your pain brother. Been busy myself. Went back to work on 12-15-14 (My 50th Birthday). Only had off Christmas Day. Haven't cooked or posted in almost 3 months. It sucks!!
    Yeah, It's funny how work gets in the way.  Thought I read somewhere that you and Nola were getting ready to start cooking somewhere so hopefully you will be back soon.
    Milton, GA.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go 250 in the oven till an IT of 120, in the meantime get the egg to 750 or so, sear for a minute on each side...a cast iron pan  with butter works great for the sear.
  • flynnbob
    Options
    As a follow-up - Didn't know what I was walking in to. He had a beef tenderloin so we cooked it at 500 to sear then foiled and roasted at 350 until IT at 130.  Got him a T pen as a gift.  No way to light the Egg so I used the oiled paper towel method. No pictures but it was to die for!
    Milton, GA.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I did my first reverse sear a couple weeks back and it came out great!!  It's the way to go.