Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Crab Cake Recipie?

Options
I got some great insight on crab and shrimp cake recipes from the Surf&Turf throwdown.

Do you guys have any crab cake/shrimp cake recipes you love?  I'm gonna give them a try today.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SWMBO's  who stole it from Martha Stewart! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I like Barbara Jean's recipe. this one is also really good. our son and I will be going blue crabbing very soon :smiley: 
    Crab Cakes recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys: http://youtu.be/a40eMMQyRQY
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jay Taylor's (SSN686) shrimp burgers are very popular. Never tried 'em, but want to. Typically served on King's Hawaiian slider-sized rolls (though the attached recipe calls for English muffins, an older version maybe?).

Scroll to the last post for the recipe. 

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1262808

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Whatever recipe you use please make the MAIN ingredient crab. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is the one my friend "Lambchop" has perfected over the years.  And as mentioned Jay's shrimp sliders are to die for.

Crab, Cakes, Gloria

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Lb CRAB
    1 LARGE EGG
    1/4 cup MAYONNAISE
    1 1/2 tsp DIJON
    1 1/2 tsp OLD BAY
    1 tsp LEMON JUICE
    1/2 tsp WORCESTERSHIRE
    KOSHER SALT
    1 1/4 cup FRESH BREAD CRUMBS
    1 Tbs CHOPPED FLAT PARSLEY
    2 Tbs Unsalted Butter
    1 Tbs OLIVE OIL

Procedure::

1. MIX CRAB MIXTURE INTO  WET INGREDIENTS, THEN LIGHTLY FOLD IN BREAD CRUMBS AND. REFRIGERATE ONE TO 3 HOURS. REMOVE AND MAKE INTO CAKES, ADD BUTTER TO OLIVE OIL AND WHEN MELTED BUTTER IS FROTHY, ADD CAKES AND COOK ABOUT 4 MINUTES UNTIL NICELY BROWNED, THEN TURN OVER AND COOK ABOUT 4 MINUTES ON OTHER SIDE. SERVE

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Seafood

Source
    Source: Gloria Williams, 2009/06/18

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    1 lb crab
    1 egg
    one handful of Ritz crackers crushed to crumbs
    dollop of mayo
    touch of course ground mustard (optional)
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys!  I'll let you know what I end up with.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1  More crab, less, less, less cake. And use Jumbo Lump crab.  The finished crab cake should look like a bunch of big and small pieces of crab lightly packed together, not a lot of filler with the occasional small piece of crab.
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Onions and multi colored peppers 
    lump crab meat
    eggs
    bread crumbs
    worscherschire(sp?)
    garlic
    tony c to taste
    blend up and pat in flour and fry

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Being a Marylander and lifelong Chesapeake Bay crab eater, I would offer two comments to @Tjcoley......as he suggested, the crab must be the star of the show.  To that end, I would offer that jumbo lump is only flavorful if it comes from a blue crab.  Many times seafood markets sell jumbo lump at what seems to be a really really good price.  It is often from Indonesian Swimming crabs that has no taste whatsoever.  Using a lb of crab that is picked from the whole crab is much more flavorful overall.  The largest piece there is the backfin.  A little cheaper than buying the real jumbo lump with the same amount of great subtle crab flavor.  As @Tjcoley mentioned breadcrumbs are often used as a binder.  Over years our family recipe has turned to 10-12 saltine crackers for binder depending on how much moisture is in the meat. Just enough binder to hold the cake together for sautéing in butter in a cast iron skillet.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Crabcakes recipes have evolved and been refined within families for generations. Everyone has their own concoction.
    Berlin, Maryland
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Actually we use no Old Bay....too salty and takes away from the delicate taste of the crab......and less mayonnaise.......
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    1 lb crab
    1 egg
    one handful of Ritz crackers crushed to crumbs
    dollop of mayo
    touch of course ground mustard (optional)
    Change ritz to saltines and add some Old Bay and this is what do.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SwampBadger
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    +1  More crab, less, less, less cake. And use Jumbo Lump crab.  The finished crab cake should look like a bunch of big and small pieces of crab lightly packed together
    Sometimes I like a loose case with bread or cracker crumbs, sometimes I like a tighter cake with none.  When you want something tighter, puree a few shrimp in the food processor until there is nothing left but paste.  Use the shrimp paste to bind the crab.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I'm a fan of the recipe posted on the Dizzy Pig web site:

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/tsunami-spin-grilled-crabcakes/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @rsterman 100% agree.  It's gotta be blue crab lump meat. And don't overwork the lump when making the cakes or ya might as well use all shredded meat.  You need to be somewhat gentle with the lump for consistency sake. Delicious. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I went with the bbqpitboys recipie.  Only change I made was the bread crumbs.  My son is allergic to glutton so I make my own from udays bagels.

They were simple and allowed the blue crab to shine.

Thanks for all the advice guys, in the parlance of my kids: "make again good"

Only pic I got was the last three going on.  Everyone was eating them as soon as I pulled them.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Looks great @Ozzie_Isaac :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ya I'd eat that for days
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road