Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aging Complete

Options
BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
The roast was a prime grade, seven bone ribeye weighing 21.7 lbs. at the time of purchase. I wet aged it for 30 days and then removed it and placed it in the Umai bag for 45 days. Due to our cold temps I had to move the roast to the refrigerator in our heated shop. It was too cold in our garage fridge at home for the fridge to cycle enough.

After pulling it out of the bag today it weighed 19.0 lbs., for a loss of 2.7 lbs. Here it is right out of the bag.

Meat side.

Bone Side.

Both ends had some mold.

The finished product.

Copenhagen for size reference only, not rub.

I took some of the good trimmings and seared them off on our shop grill. We all agreed that it was well worth the wait. It was extremely tender with a smack you upside the tastebud beefy flavor. Total cost per pound after aging and trim loss was $13.76 per pound. That would put each two pound steak in the $28.00 a piece range. A steak like that would be at least 2x that in an upscale steak house. Will I be doing it again? You bet I will!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments