Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I wanted some bread in 2 hours

Options
So I made some.

I didn't start taking photos until I already had 'em cooking on the Egg, but here's some photos.

DSC03100 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Cooling.

DSC03102 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

DSC03103 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Still pretty warm but I couldn't stand it anymore.

DSC03105 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Best ever.

DSC03106 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Total time 2 hours.

Spring "It Takes A Lot Of Will Power To Be Patient With Fresh Bread" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I might try it. :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Is the recipe hidden in a hyperlink?  2 hrs including making dough, proving dough and baking?  Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You didn't make any butter?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Henapple... I took a recipe from Land O Lakes butter, http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2371/crusty-french-bread, and modified it somewhat in order to gitterdone in two hours.  It wasn't hard because the dough rose well, and kneaded well, so I decided to give it a go.  I also used only one pack of yeast, and I put the egg inside the dough instead of brushing it on.  I thought that might make it richer or something.  I other words, I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, but it turned out great.  It's the luck of the Irish, you know...

NPHuskerFL... see the note to Henapple above.

Mickey... I made the butter a couple of days ago and used the rest of it on the bread.  Really, Really good ...

Spring "It's About Time..." Chicken

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks...I'll take some next Saturday please. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Spring, did you knead by hand or stand mixer?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Chubbs... Both.  Finished up by hand for about 5 minutes.

Spring "Mixed Up And Kneaded Muchly" Chicken

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Spring Chicken did you hand knead or use dough hook on KA?  Thanks on the recipe share Sir.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

NPHuskerFL... See my reply to the post just above this one.  Yes, I started with the dough hook and removed the dough to the bread board where I hand-kneaded it for about 5 minutes.  You can actually feel when to stop the kneading.  Then I shapped it into a ball, which I cut in half.  Then shaped those into loaf-looking-things, and placed them into my buttered bread pans.  I spread them out a bit to see if I could make a perfectly shaped loaf.  I was close enough for Chicken Ranch purposes.  I could have let the dough rise in the pans again for 30 minutes or so to make the bread lighter but I wanted to see what would happen if I just went straight to the Egg.  The resulting bread was tasty, but heavier than it could have been.  I tend to like 'doughy' bread sometimes, so that wasn't important for this cook.  My mission was to make bread in under two hours.  It would have been better if my mission was three hours. 

I'm still learning.  And each time I make bread I learn a little more.  At least I'm not tossing as much now as when I first started.

Spring "Bake And Learn" Chicken

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I saw the recipe and I appreciate it. I asked about the KA only because some folks swear by hand kneading only vs mechanical kneading. For just learning I'd say your killing it!  That bread looks awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    3 hrs is still impressive Spring Chicken. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014