Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Can I use my CI DO in lieu of a crock pot?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
We're renting a condo this weekend at the local ski hill, and they don't have a crock pot up there.  Rather than bring my own, I thought it'd be easier (and possibly better) to just bring my 7 QT Cast Iron Dutch Oven.

I was wondering if I can use it in an oven with the same "set it and forget it" results.  Since Crock Pots only have Hi/Lo settings I wasn't sure what temp to use.  Basically, I wanted to put some beef stew fixings in the pot, and throw it in the oven at 200 for several hours.   Leave the house and not worry about it boiling over or over cooking.

Whattya think with that plan and that temp?   (and if you have any EASY to travel-with recipes for pot roast or something else, I'm all ears!)

Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I do...
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think that would work fine.  Here is a quick recipe I found:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/perfect-pot-roast-recipe.html

I haven't tried that recipe but I have tried a few of her recipes and they were always good.  If you are going to be away longer I think you could drop the temp some.  

I have done this one and it is excellent:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/11/braised-short-ribs-heaven-on-a-plate/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    When I use my DO in the oven, I start it out on the stove top and bring it up to a boil. Then it goes in the oven. 200 * F all day.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think its possible, but I don't think most kitchen ovens go as low as slow cookers. I have 2 slow cookers. The older one has high and low, and that produces 190F-ish and 145-ish. The newer one has high low and keep warm. High is very close to boiling, low about 160, and keep warm 145. My current oven s a few years old, and supposedly it will bake at 170F. Every other oven I've used had 225 as the bottom setting.

My inclination would be to add extra fluid to the pot roast so that it doesn't overheat while cooking unattended in the oven.

Also, CI surface will probably be hotter than slow cooker ceramics. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I suppose there is a chance of some burning around the edges.

If you have the time, maybe make the stew in advance, and just re-heat when needed. Maybe add a few fresh herbs during the re-heat.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've read in various spots online that on the slow cooker low is usually around 200 degrees and high around 300.  You might be able to google for your exact make/model and find its specific range.

Also, since it is a rented location I'd probably bring an oven thermometer to see if the oven is calibrated well - especially if you'll be leaving.  I'd hate to have an all day meal ruined because the oven was actually running 40-50 degrees off in either direction. 

Is it an enameled DO?  If it is straight cast iron and you're going to be using acidic ingredients, there is definitely a chance that it will wreck your seasoning and impart a metallic taste into the food.  May not be a huge issue (reseasoning isn't that hard and everyone's taste buds are a little different), but it is something you should be aware of.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    gdenby said:

If you have the time, maybe make the stew in advance, and just re-heat when needed. Maybe add a few fresh herbs during the re-heat.
    This is a great idea.  On our last family trip we made a big batch of chili and pasta sauce and froze it.  That kept us from needing to buy ice for the cooler we brought, and we could just reheat in the regular pans that the house we rented had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Yup @Acn it is a standard lodge bare cast iron.

Yeah, I was just hoping to keep it simple, throw some stuff in the pot and hope for the best.  Obviously, the nice thing about crock pots is not having to be back at a specific time once it has cooked the minimum time.

Thanks for the tip about boiling it on the stove first
    Billy Grill Eggster.
    I'll do that and I'll also add the extra liquid as a safe measure that @gdenby suggested.

SmokeyPitt, that first recipe looks like the simplicity I was looking for!  I'll probably make that but add extra liquid as insurance and so it's more of a stew.  ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Reallly?  Is your 7 - Quart DO THAT much easier to transport than your crock pot?

I bring my crock pot to the mountains/ski condos every time I go out.... I've never had an issue packing it in my jeep.  Heck - i even use the CrockPot to carry all of my veggies, spices, etc. that i'll need for the cook.....  It seriously is pretty convenient already...
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    BRush00 said:
    Reallly?  Is your 7 - Quart DO THAT much easier to transport than your crock pot?

That is exactly what I was thinking.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• KiterTodd
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    BRush00 said:

You haters!   =)

Yeah, for me it is easier.  My DO is stored in the nice smooth thick cardboard box it came in which is great for sticking anywhere in the SUV.   My Crock pot is taller, has legs, a cord, a loose lid, etc.  Not a big deal but when I'm going to pack the car with 4 people, a dog, and all our ski gear and luggage...the DO in the box just seems easier and would be a fun different cook!

I like to pack the car like a game of tetris.  Closed boxes and bags preferred over odd shapes.

LBGE/Maryland
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Zmokin said:
    BRush00 said:

You haters!   =)

Yeah, for me it is easier.  My DO is stored in the nice smooth thick cardboard box it came in which is great for sticking anywhere in the SUV.   My Crock pot is taller, has legs, a cord, a loose lid, etc.  Not a big deal but when I'm going to pack the car with 4 people, a dog, and all our ski gear and luggage...the DO in the box just seems easier and would be a fun different cook!

I like to pack the car like a game of tetris.  Closed boxes and bags preferred over odd shapes.

Hey - to each their own, and good luck on the cook.  I've just never had an issue transporting my Crock Pot.  For what it's worth, and maybe something you'd want to consider for future ski trips; my "loose junk" that's gotta come with us (groceries & crock pot included), usually go into a big rubbermaid bin w/ lid, THEN in my jeep.  Makes for easier packing in the Jeep, as well as easier transport to/from the condo from where ever the parking lot is.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Hey - to each their own, and good luck on the cook.  I've just never had an issue transporting my Crock Pot.  For what it's worth, and maybe something you'd want to consider for future ski trips; my "loose junk" that's gotta come with us (groceries & crock pot included), usually go into a big rubbermaid bin w/ lid, THEN in my jeep.  Makes for easier packing in the Jeep, as well as easier transport to/from the condo from where ever the parking lot is.

Good tips, thanks.  
    If I weren't bringing the dog, I could pack stuff to the ceiling, but you know...need room for her and can't have things falling onto her when I fly around turns so the only big bulky item will be the rubbermaid cooler (and the crock pot doesn't fit in that).

Now, is all this metallic taste gossip just hearsay?!?  I have heard it mentioned on here before but frankly haven't noticed a problem with my cast iron cooks.  (Mostly pan, but a few DO)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    See #7

according to the author short term ok. Long simmers iffy

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html