Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cell Phone Recomendations

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
I'm in need of a new cell phone.  I'm currently with T-Mobile and have had my Galaxy S4 the past couple years.  Back in October of last year I sat on my phone and broke it. (Probably too much egg food). Stupid habit of putting my phone in my back pocket. Probably done it a thousand times and never been an issue.  Must have sat on it just right to mess up the digitizer and make the lcd go black.  So I bought a replacement screen and put it in a few months ago.  Worked perfect......up until a week ago.  Pulled it out of my front jeans pocket and the screen was spider webbed.  Ugh!!! not again. I don't believe Samsung sells any OEM parts so the screen I bought was probably not gorilla glass.  I'm also having a sim card issue where my phone doesn't recognize it.  My phone forces me restart it once or twice a day with the sim issue. I think it's time to move on. Which sucks because new phone prices are insane!  I'd  be interested in the new S6 coming out but I was told that the new S6 doesn't have a removable battery. I like the option of a removable battery. I'm looking at the Note 4 and it seems like a great overall phone.  The LG3 looked nice and was a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Note 4.  Just wondering what other people here on the forum would recommend?  I use my phone for almost all Web surfing.  I maybe pull open my laptop once a month.  I also use it for pictures.  So I'm looking for a phone that will see heavy use and can keep up with multiple tasks.  I'm pretty much open for any smart phone other than Apple IPhone. Thanks for the recommendations!!!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Amazon has their 32G Unlocked Fire phone on sale today for $199.00  .. great phone, great price, if your interested in a no contract phone.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had a good suggestion for you till the no "Apple iPhone" comment.  I have really liked all my iPhones and the camera on the 6 is great. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've been really pleased with my Motorola Droid X.  I know by now it is considered an antique, but I still like the way it works.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I can tell you this, you will not be putting the Note in your back pocket.  That thing is huge. HUGE!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
      I'm pretty much open for any smart phone other than Apple IPhone. 
    That ^^^^^ rules out my suggestion. I love my 5s. It's took a lot of abuse and held up real well so far. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    IPhone 6
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I love my Samsung Galaxy S3. ..best ever and I break 1 a year. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    IPhone 6
    Im waiting on the 6s. As soon as it comes out I'm getting it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    HTC One M8 (I'm on T-Mobile network also). The camera is great.  Excellent synergy and it's very simple to navigate. Or wait for the release of the M9. I'll be upgrading via T-Mobile jump start program. Either way you go M8 or M9 they are a great phone. 

HTC One M9 First Look!: http://youtu.be/RniXaU0Xtks
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    henapple said:
    I love my Samsung Galaxy S3. ..best ever and I break 1 a year. 
    wow.

I've had only 3 cell phones over the last 15+ years
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• skellis614
    Options
    Yep. iPhone. 
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This thread will get a lot of posts....

Options
    What is the reason for not wanting an iPhone? Just curious. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have the LG G3. I was going to get the Note 4, but my company started offering the LG G3 and I figured I would take that rather than buy the Note 4 and if I didn't like it I would buy the Note. I still have the LG G3. I really like it. The knock to wake is really cool.

I upgraded from an S3.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What is the reason for not wanting an iPhone? Just curious. 
    Maybe different with the IPhone 6 but the lack of customization with the phone.  Not a fan of Itunes/iPhone apps.  A little too simple for me.  It's probably an excellent phone and all but just not for me
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I have a note 3. was gonna get the note 4 but gonna wait to see what's up with Google's new phone service they're coming out with. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have a Note 4 and love it. I use an Otter Box with a belt clip, however I caught my clip and bike it and had to place in my pocket until my new clip came in. No problems at all. Plus it has one of the best cameras of any current smart phone. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @tarheelmatt Can you use the Note with one hand or does it take two hands majority of the time?

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @tarheelmatt Can you use the Note with one hand or does it take two hands majority of the time?
    I do use it with one hand most times. It has features that you can set that enables you to use one hand. I came from a galaxy device, and will never go back. Love the S Pen and the room you have. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    The iPhone 6 is fairly simple, but then so am I. We get along great.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    This thread will get a lot of posts....

Not if I have anything to do with it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    The note 4 is a great phone. It's not crazy big. Galaxy S5 is also a great phone. I have an iPhone 6+.  S6 looks almost like the iPhone 6 amazing how that worked out.  And the SIM card reading problem is happening a lot on the S4. I should know hear about once a day. But with the screen cracked it's not under warranty.  G3 is probably the best deal. 5.5 in screen on a normal sized phone.  
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I am looking at Note4, think I will love the S Pen
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can tell you this, you will not be putting the Note in your back pocket.  That thing is huge. HUGE!
    my note 3 lives in my back pocket. Ive gotten use to the size. When i pick up my gf's galaxy it feels tiny. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You'll love the S Pen... My little girl is turning one on the 18th and I drew how we wanted the cake to our decorator and sent to her.  She said that really helped her out a lot.  

Don't laugh... 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    TWSS
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I was really holding out on a Nexus 6, but I couldn't resist the Note 4.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site