Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ethnic Foods On The Big Green Egg

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It never ceases to amaze me how creative our Egghead friends are. For example, I read about various ethnic foods that have made their way to a BGE grill, and the results look incredibly good. I got to thinking about it and wonder just how many of you have cooked ethnic foods on the BGE. I took the liberty of looking up just how many ethnic groups there are and there are quite a few. I'm sure there's more but here's one list I ran across. How many of you have Egged food from some of these ethnic groups?[p]Ethnic & Regional Foods[p]Afghan[p]African[p]Algerian[p]American[p]Andalucia[p]Arab[p]Armenian[p]Asian (multi-national)[p]Bali[p]Bolivian[p]Brazilian[p]British[p]Canadian[p]Canary Islands[p]Caribbean[p]Chilean[p]Chinese[p]Creole & Cajun[p]Crete[p]Cuban[p]Cyprus[p]Czechoslovakian[p]Danish[p]Dominican Republic[p]Down Under[p]Dutch[p]European, Miscellaneous[p]Finnish[p]French[p]Georgian (former U.S.S.R.) [p]Germany/Austria [p]Greece[p]Hawaiian[p]Hispanic/Latino, Miscellaneous
Hungarian[p]Indian[p]Indonesian[p]Irish[p]Israeli[p]Italian[p]Japanese[p]Korean[p]Laos[p]Lebanese[p]Malaysian[p]Mediterranean, Miscellaneous [p]Mexican[p]Middle Eastern (Other)[p]Miscellaneous International[p]Moroccan[p]Peruvian[p]Polish[p]Portuguese[p]Romanian[p]Russian[p]Sardinian[p]Scottish[p]Singapore[p]Slovenian[p]South American[p]Spanish (Spain) [p]Swedish[p]Swiss[p]Thai[p]Turkish[p]Uruguayan[p]Viet Nam
[p]I've only cooked about five at most and already I feel that I am cheating myself out of some excellent dishes.[p]I've included the link to those ethnic groups on the list in case you want to see some recipes. [p]Spring "Exploring The Known World" Chicken
Spring Texas USA[p]

[ul][li]Ethnic recipes[/ul]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Spring Chicken,[p]Heck, I can get a half-dozen with sausages alone. Many other dishes I do may not be ethnic in the traditional form but I sure use ethnic seasonings. Variety is the spice of life, no?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Spring Chicken,
    My wife's a Turk so we do kebabs quite a bit. There is a favorite called Adana Kebabs that we do often. I'd have to ask her for the recipe as she prepares it and I cook it. But I know it is a bit spicy and has cheese in it.

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    edbro,[p]Please do post the recipe. Sounds interesting![p]DD
  • Spring Chicken,[p]
    I have done some Israeli Shwarma, Greek Gyro's, Middle eastern Chicken, Italian Bread, and Spanish Eggplant Lasagna on the Egg... they all have been great. I can share recipes if folks are interested[p]-- Joshua[p]

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Joshua Kane,
    I'd be interested in knowing how you did the Gyros. I miss those from when I lived in Turkey (known there as Doners). Did you set up some kind of rotisserie?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    20ba33ad.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    last night was pulled pork simmered in a miso sauce, store bought sauce, but it was good enough that i will be playing around with different recipes until i get it right. had it over some basmati rice. tonights plan is to make a vindaloo pulled pork with some seasoning i got from penzeys. cant wait to try it. bought three recipe books this weekend, one on chinese wok cooking, thai, and a bistro book. all have great recipes for the egg. lots of things to cook out there. superbowl sunday was chinese appetizers mostly cooked on the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Spring Chicken,
    Made gyros and they came out great!!![p]GyroExperiment004.jpg[p]Didn't use a rotisserie[p]GyroExperiment010.jpg[p]remove foil with about 15 minutes left in the cook to brown the exterior meat.[p]GyroExperiment011.jpg[p]Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    fishlessman,
    That is a great looking presentation! I especially like the color of your ribs....what did you do to those?
    I do mingle a bit with my ribs with Sazon being my wife is Columbian. I can get the same nice color you have, but also like you I need to play around and get the flavor perfect.
    Thanks for the pic and reminder of perfecting ribs.
    ST

• ShortRib,
    Hey I love Gyros , we go to the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs here in fl and eat at a place called Platkas. The have the Best huge Gyros around.
    Can you share the recipe and the cucumber sauce recipe too.
    In fact we were just down there this past weekend and I bought there ppitas w/ no pockets to take a bag with me to the Fl egg fest.
    David

• DISH,
    I cant believe I just typed a studder word, Guess I am all eggsited that the fest is just almost a week away.

• ShortRib
    DISH,[p]I get excited about grilling on the weekend too! [p]Here is the recipe. THere is a lot of prep work involved, but this might be as good as it gets....[p]Here it goes:[p]For the meat, use one med onion. Finely chopped
    2 pounds of ground lamb
    1 TBS of finely minced garlic
    1 TBS of dried Marjoram
    1 TBS of dried Rosemary
    2 tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp of black pepper[p]Process onion in a food processor. I add a little water to make it easier. Then wrap in a cheese cloth and strain all the liquid out. Add all the ingriediants and either put back in food processor or use a large bowl and whip the ingrediants till it is a "Pate" or paste. [p]Form into loaf and wrap in cellophane and let sit overnight. This allows it to firm up again.[p]The next day, remove the cellophane and wrap in foil. I stuck a stick in the middle to use as a handle when I slice it. But you can use whatever you want, if anything at all.[p]Cook till internal temp is 175. Take the foil off when it reaches 160-ish. THis will brown the outside of the meat.[p]For the Tzatziki sauce,[p]16 oz of plain yogurt
    1 med cucumber (peeled, seeded and finely chopped)
    pinch of salt
    4 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
    5-6 mint leaves. finely minced[p]If you want your sauce thick, strain yogurt in cheesecloth by filling letting yogurt sit on top of cloth for two hours over a container to catch the drippings. [p]You will have to strain the excess water off the cucumber by placing in cheesecloth and squeezing the moisture out.[p]Combine everything in a bowl and let sit overnight.[p]I also marinate onions and tomatoes in vinegar and oil with some dried Oregano for flavor. [p]Serve with feta, tomatoes, onions on pita. Pitas are even better if you brush them with olive oil and toast them on a pan. [p]Enjoy!!![p][p]

• ShortRib,
    Thanks dude, I been wait'n for a gyro recipe.

• ShortRib,[p]What's the approximate cook time on the lamb???
  • ShortRib
    Dublin Dawg,[p]Hard to say. I am thinking it was an hour-ish. Think of the cooking time being similar to a meatloaf. Definately go by temp though. [p]Nate
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Smokin' Todd,
    those are the ribs cut off a country rib roast. same glaze for the loin in the picture. cooked at 325-350 direct on a raised grill til about 145 internal.these type ribs dont need the low and slow to be tender. the red food coloring gives it the chinese rib color, it would also be good with brown sugar and maybe molasses instead of the white sugar and coloring, but i like the real red coloration over the brown [p]Re: Chinese Pork Loin Recipe anyone try it? opinions?[p]

[p][ Follow Ups ] [ Club Egg - BGE Forum ] [ FAQ ][p]
    [p]Posted by QSis on December 22, 2003 at 20:44:31:[p]In Reply to: Chinese Pork Loin Recipe anyone try it? opinions? posted by Carolina Wizard on December 22, 2003 at 17:53:12:[p]Carolina Wizard,[p]I don't know what recipe you are referring to, but here's one I've done many times, using a recipe from Paul Kirk's book. It turns the loin into those delicious red-tipped pork slices you get on a pu-pu platter. Only better since it's cooked on a smoker. If you wanted to cook the marinade down, thicken and use it as a glaze, you could. I don't.[p]Appropriate color for the season, too![p]Lee[p]Char Siu Chinese Marinade (Paul Kirk)[p]½ cup sugar
    3 T. sweet sherry
    2 T. soy sauce
    ½ cup hoisin sauce
    2 teas. minced fresh ginger
    ½ teas. five-spice powder
    1 teas. salt
    ½ teas. red food coloring[p]Mix the sugar into the sherry and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.[p]Paul says he uses it mostly on pork strips and country-style ribs. He marinates those pieces for 2-4 hours. I marinate the pork loin overnight.[p]Cook to 140 degrees internal temperature.[p][p]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it