Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocket science steak

Options
I'm not so sure about this new product. I guess I don't fall into the distracted cook category either. I seem to get consistently good steaks using CI and a thermopen. Also for $500 I could buy another egg or a lot of eggcessories!

Whats do you guys and gals think?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/05/how-rocket-science-makes-a-perfect-steak/
LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm not so sure about this new product. I guess I don't fall into the distracted cook category either. I seem to get consistently good steaks using CI and a thermopen. Also for $500 I could buy another egg or a lot of eggcessories!

Whats do you guys and gals think?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/05/how-rocket-science-makes-a-perfect-steak/
    Yeah, but if you bought another Egg and accessories, you might actually have to "slavishly" (to use the reviewers language) pay attention to your cooking.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    it may be rocket science, but I can guarantee does not have that smoke-grilled taste. Getting something done does not necessarily translate into a GOOD taste.
  • Maxwell1331
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    it may be rocket science, but I can guarantee does not have that smoke-grilled taste. Getting something done does not necessarily translate into a GOOD taste.
    I agree one hundred percent. I egg because I like the process and the fruits of my labor. 
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    It is an interesting concept though. Basically a modified sous vide approach that can sear as well.

I'm not going to bu one, but I can't find fault with the idea.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    they need to incorporate this into a refrigerator/freezer with the ability to dial up what you want and have it autoload and start all from an iphone app remotely. Maybe Omaha Steaks will buy them and create the meat equivalent of k-cups and then add a small reservoir to preload liquid smoke into (or even different flavors or liquid smoke-type flavoring - sell it like ink-jet ink cartridges.  It's perfect!

Jetsons here we come!

ick.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Interesting article.  Kinda like a George Foreman but with a warmer.  Maybe the author should save his money and buy a Thermapen.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    If I lived in an apartment I could see this being cool.  As it is I doubt we are the segment they are trying to win over.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin