Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Settings - Daisy Wheel to Smokeware Cap

Options

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    blasting said:
    Revenge of the Nerds 1 or 2? 
    We have a winner.  It was Ogre in #2.  Nothin but the classics, lol.
    Wow.  That's heavy Ogre. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0zjorR68A

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @RRP ... nope ... let me try again. 

Do you leave your daisy wheel on when your target temp is 750 degrees?  Or, do you remove it so that you can get that high? 

Thus, the question is aimed at finding out at what cooking temp you set the top vent amount by simply removing the daisy wheel.
    Stainless is generally good for high temp applications.  At very high temps it can start to oxidize.

I do not know what grade steel the smokeware cap, but it is slightly magnetic so I am going to assume it is a 400 series stainless, probably 416 or something.  416 is a low cost easily machinable grade.  400 series grades also tend to have lower chromium content.  The higher the chromium the higher the scaling point (oxidation).  416 begins to oxidize over 1200 deg F in continuous use.

So in short, I would remove it if I am going over 1200 deg F.

As an aside the arimide fibers begin to degrade around 900 deg F.  So your gasket will go before your cap.

im gonna need a dictionary 
    I was following what they were saying, but I am a technician and work with engineers all day long so this wasn't hard to follow.  It was kind of entertaining. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Dad was an engineer.  I don't hear much "engineer jibber-jabber" anymore.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned ADD or ADHD to you guys?  Geez ... ask a simple question - on a week night no less - and you guys are bouncing off the wall.  Oh well, guess I'll go create a spreadsheet or a graph ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Tom, we don't have attention deficit damn it's hot in here. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Probably a good time to remind all that the pi day of the century is the day after the Salado Eggfest.
    @lousubcap - Actually, pi day is the day of the Salado Eggfest.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That is cool, my man...but I counted 19 dashes. Is there a story behind that number? Was it the number of days you wandered aimlessly in the AZ desert after you were abandoned as a tyke?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @Jeepster47 good experiment. Wasn't trying to be critical of that. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Close, but it was number of months before the she-coyote found me.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Terrebandit ... no problems mate, I understood where you were coming from.  Thanks for taking the time to clarify though ... appreciated. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    RRP said:
    That is cool, my man...but I counted 19 dashes. Is there a story behind that number? Was it the number of days you wandered aimlessly in the AZ desert after you were abandoned as a tyke?
    @RRP ... you've got to understand that that boy loves to tell stories ... has he told you yet about being a rocket scientist?  That's another humdinger.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    @RRP ... you've got to understand that that boy loves to tell stories ... has he told you yet about being a rocket scientist?  That's another humdinger.

Hmmmm, no, but thanks for the heads up! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have a circular slide rule my Dad gave me.  It has a very detailed slide out card with comprehensive Periodic chart, lots of tables with conversion factors for area & volume.  And a list of useful constants.  but what gets me, is it has pi out to like 25 digits.  Now what I want to know is, how the heck can you use Pi to that precision on an effing slide rule?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Zmokin ... even better, you can't use Pi to that precision on a home computer so 25 digits is still overkill. 

If you have a kid who isn't growing out of that irritating "why" phase, you might have a budding engineer.  Do they love to solve puzzles, find patterns, find anomalies, measure stuff, and puzzle over stuff you could care less about?  Do they get fixated on discovering and understanding all they can about one subject at a time?  Well, I'm sorry, they'll probably never grow out of it.  They'll most likely memorize Pi to a useless number of digits, argue about who knows the most number of Pi digits, and simple be the bane of your existence ... or make you proud. 

• DMW
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What if you have a kid who likes to take things apart but not put them back together? 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    Options
    grege345 said:
    What if you have a kid who likes to take things apart but not put them back together? 
    According to the above documentary, that is normal. No need for concern.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Then, you got yourself a scientist!!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Tell your friends that the kid must have been switched in the hospital at birth!

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @DMW ... love it ... thanks for this mornings laugh!

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... oh, oh, oh ... I know what your kid can do ... you have the perfect kid for demolition work!!!

• grege345
    Options
    Haha. That kid was me. Not to far off lol. Let the dozer guy clean it up they may have the knack. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Grege345 funny you mention dozers.  My job had me regularly operating D6Ns and Ts.  I loved making big holes, hills, slopes, etc.  Then putting it all back so the field supervisor never knew. (test facility so nobody eyed my productivity)
  • grege345
    Options
    Did you follow in dads footsteps? A few years ago our company was sending a few Chosen few to Arizona test facility. Sadly I couldn't make it. I wanted to go just for the belt buckle. 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    The top vent hole is 3.875" diameter which is 11.78 square inches.  That's a 43% increase when removing the cap  
    @DoubleEgger ... Yep, so you can go much higher on temps with either cap off.  But, do you decide to take it off to achieve 500 degrees, 600 degrees, 700 degrees or never?
    I've never taken the smokeware cap off and have been to 600+

I  just got my SS cap, haven't put it on yet but will very soon.  I did question if I was able to hit 500F with the cap on and fully open, for those spatchcock and hamburger kinds of days.  Maybe I'll open it up and see what happens.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @dmw "utter social ineptitude". I resemble that remark!  Great video. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Did you follow in dads footsteps? A few years ago our company was sending a few Chosen few to Arizona test facility. Sadly I couldn't make it. I wanted to go just for the belt buckle. 
    Almost the same physical location, but your friends probably went to the Tinaja Hills Training Center (a demo/training facility managed by the marketing folks) as apposed to the Tucson Proving Grounds (a test facility managed by the technical folks) where the real work is accomplished.  Beautiful area either way.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Haha. That kid was me. Not to far off lol. Let the dozer guy clean it up they may have the knack. 
    My mom used to tell me my middle name was "Crush,Kill, Destroy"
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.