Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with these FLANKEN ribs?? Help

Options
I've never done short ribs. I do know that there are English cut short ribs and Flanken style ribs. The English ones seem to be more popular as I have searched the forum. So I need help. Do I braise? Do I slow cook then braise? Do I just let them go? What I have seen on the web is a lot of Korean style short rib recipes. I'm not against it I am just looking for another option. These are prime and about an inch thick. 

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    These are fantastic braised. I usually cut between the bone. Try to finish them 24 hours before serving so you can chill and skim the copious amount of fat. ... For Korean, those are usually cut across the bone at about a half inch or less.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm in the "let the BGE do its magic" camp with any beef ribs.  I rub with some Worcestershire sauce add some seasoning (salt pepper and some garlic) or some Montreal steak seasoning then on the BGE indirect at about 250*F til the thickest meat probes with no resistance (toothpick test).  Generally around 5-6 hours.  (You can speed it up by foiling but I don't go there unless really pressed for time).  Give the search function a shot-lots of beef rib (including short rib) recent threads.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I've had them cut less than 1/2" marinated in lime, salt, pepper.  Then seasoned with adobo and grilled direct.

Awesome that way, however yours look much thicker than 1/2".
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've had them cut less than 1/2" marinated in lime, salt, pepper.  Then seasoned with adobo and grilled direct.

Awesome that way, however yours look much thicker than 1/2".
    Direct like a steak? Few min a side?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yup, direct like a steak.  Key was thinness.  Then you just eat it with your hands holding onto the small rib slices.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd have to agree with @lousubcap - season with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and drop on egg @ 250 until done.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • grege345
    Options
    Coming along nicely... I think. Holding sub 250 isn't ez. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Yum......looking good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yum yum.  looking fwd to your report!
  • grege345
    Options
    Well I think I can chalk this up to a semi fail. Maybe it was the meat maybe it was me. The meat had good taste but waaaay too much fat. I had them on for just about 4 hours. I did marinade them for almost 6 hours. I'll try the English cut next time. The one thing I was worried about was drying them out. That definitely didn't happen. I burned more lump than it was worth.