Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for seafood recipes

Options
I am looking for seafood recipes that can be egged and not egged.

Paella is out of the question (I love it) just not ready to take that cook on.

Would also like to make some good seafood tacos.  Any tips?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Duh - just saw the seafood sub forum.  I'll browse there.

Garnerville, NY
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Lobster is pretty ez. Cut in half and slather with melted butter and salt-n-pepper. 400° raised direct. Start meat side down for 5 min and flip for another 5min. I check internal temp where others use the color to tell done ness. I'm not that swift yet so I take off around 135°. Can be pulled right out of the shell for tacos. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited March 2015
    Options
    shrimp tacos, these are really good and you could reheat the shrimp and assemble at work
    nothing simpler than seared tuna steak, i thought you wife wouldnt let you make seafood =)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158786/shrimp-tacos
    http://www.tartineandapronstrings.com/2013/07/05/honey-lime-tequila-shrimp-tacos-with-avocado-purple-slaw-and-chipotle-crema/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you have split tops to butter and toast, lobster rolls can be made without a recipe
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    Options
    shrimp tacos, these are really good and you could reheat the shrimp and assemble at work
    nothing simpler than seared tuna steak, i thought you wife wouldnt let you make seafood =)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158786/shrimp-tacos
    http://www.tartineandapronstrings.com/2013/07/05/honey-lime-tequila-shrimp-tacos-with-avocado-purple-slaw-and-chipotle-crema/

I want some.  She can eat what she wants like chicken.

Would be a small portion when cooking for me only. I guess shrimp can be reheated.   Not too sure about other fish.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    For lobster - I have never cooked it.  Do you buy "dead" lobsters?  I remember when I was a kid my grandfather used to get them live and put them into boiling water to cook them?

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The easiest with lobsters is to buy the "dead" tails.  Then split and cook as above or one of the other fairly easy methods.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    Options
    I just buy the tails that are already packaged. You can buy one or a family pack. Small or large. The ones I get  already have the tails split so I just put the knife in the slit and finish the cut thru. For the record I have only cooked lobsters twice ever. Both times on the egg. I was scared but figured it out with the help of this forum. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    OK thanks.  May try that this weekend if I get time.  Will be on the stove top on a cast iron griddle though.   Still too cold for the Egg and its buried in snow.

Garnerville, NY
  • grege345
    Options
    That'll work. Melt butter. Slather. S&p. flesh down. Flip. Done. Enjoy. I'd say med-high heat maybe. Once they get the griddle marks flip

• fishlessman
    Options
    for quick cook on the stove its hard to beat scollops, forget the bacon thing and try a pan sauce. if your wife does not like these its a good thing, scollops are pricey right now

preheat pan, dry off the scollops with paper towells (this is important for a good sear), salt and sear immediatly, dont wait til the center turns hard white(just slightly translucent in the middle, they will finish cooking off the egg). i sear in oil and i want it shimmering hot, maybe 450. i also started doing pan sauces with them a few years back, remove cooked scallops, add diced shallots and brown, add a 1/4 cup white wine, a dash worcestershire, a squirt dijon, a tbls butter and reduce. im priced out of scallops, 22 bucks the other day a pound, thats crazy

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you get nice tuna steaks, they are really easy. Ready to eat, no cooking required. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Bigmike30
    Options
    We'll I am new to this but this is what I do.   I would get the freshest fish possible. I like Black Seabass or a nice codfish.   Getting Quality fish around me is not a problem.  But I have seen on here it could be.  Flour them, egg wash then hit them with panko flakes.   Get your veg oil on med.  I also make a mango  salsa with cilantro with red onion,with 1 lemon squeezed.   Also make a chipotle mayonnaise.  Cut the peppers in half take the seeds and veins out, Then chop I add about 3 peppers to about a cup of mayo.   I use a soft taco, every time I make these people love them.  
  • robnybbq
    Options
    DMW said:
    If you get nice tuna steaks, they are really easy. Ready to eat, no cooking required. ;)
    Very True.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for cheaper recipes google mussels, another easy fast stove top recipe, billion ways to make them
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I like en papillote o the egg.

Put the sea bass in and topped with some of the butter sauce
    Then some fresh tarragon, parsley, thyme and chives
    Folded the parchment and oiled and on to the egg on a raised grid at 350*
    Served with some sauteed kale, onion, garlic and mushrooms in chicken broth and steamed rice with clam juice, chardonnay, red bell peppers and butter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Crab is somewhat unusual where I live. Only 1 place has them fresh 1 time a week. But frozen king crab and snow crab are more often available. Where I am, they are offered pre-cooked on the ship and frozen. Not cheap, but very good.

Being pre-cooked, I made some snow crab recently by just dunking them into 120F water. Simmered some Old Bay seasoning in butter for dipping, but the crab was so sweet that it really didn't need the sauce.  Almost no prep. Tossed them in the hot water, grabbed a pair of pliers, and cracked the shells. Slurp. Yum!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Little steven - that looks great.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It's pretty easy to do and you can do any fish or shellfish. The fish does pick up a smoky flavour through the parchment.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This is how you cook lobsta!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 on en papillote. Easy and really good
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lobster, live. Cut down the center, clean the head, crack the claws. ...butter and season and grill till done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    How do you know when the fish is done when in papillote?   I am sure a thin piece of flounder/talapia would be allot totally different cooking time then a very thick piece of bass or something?  Poking holes in the paper with a thermopen probably would affect the cook as well?    Direct or indirect?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    1 minute per millimeter measured from the thickest part of the fish at 400F.
    Options
    scollops are pricey right now....im priced out of scallops, 22 bucks the other day a pound, thats crazy

^^ THIS. We have a nice little seafood place down the street and when i moved to FL 5 years ago they had diver scallops for $13 a lb and they are now $22 there also. Unreal.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    @robnybbq 
    Even if you can't get snook, this should be doable with any decent fillet and IMHO it's very very tasty 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166248/new-cypress-egg-table-and-first-cook-king-crab-leg-stuffed-smoked-snook#latest
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"